Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Clock

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
The clock on the big screen was counting past 90 minutes this afternoon- my impression is that the clock usually stops at 90 and disappears, leaving just the score on the screen, but it 'clocked-up' the full 94 this afternoon....

Comments

• You saw nothing Clive. Your eyes deceived you.
  • spotted that too, very unusual.
  • "Oh no they didn't" :-)
  • Never saw a thing ........ nothing to see or talk about here.

(Well done to whoever ........ you know what for !!!!!)
    ;o)
  • Clock, I saw no Clock and the one I did not see did not say 94 minutes when they kicked off after we scored.
  • I saw it: came on at 93:50 or thereabouts.
  • The announcer seemed to be as delirious as the rest of us when he announced Liera as the goalscorer. i reckon he pressed the clock button by accident :-)

On a serious note, we are customers who pay for this whole thing, and we have every right to be informed about how much extra time we have played including further stoppages by the ref in extra time.
  • Delirious wasn't the word - I was jumping up and down like a good 'un! (as Mrs Rodex will confirm)

A glitch on the system meant the clock came in, it wasn't supposed to. Tom took it out as soon as we realised, he had both me and Nathan screaming at him on the radio to take it out.

Prague, there was a hell of a lot of debate when we first had the scoreboard about the added minutes. I'm not sure but I think we're not supposed to show it - Football league rules.
  • Anyone remember the Clock End at Highbury?
  • Never mind that, what did happen to the old valley clock?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Anyone remember the Clock End at Highbury?

Yer it's in the Emirates now, but not inside the ground which is a bit of a shame!

gun__1214917300_clock.jpg
  • As it's against the football league rools not to show the time after 90 minutes have been played then should we not ask the FA to fine us or let Swindon have the full 3 points. I mean, that would be fair wouldn't it!!
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]I'm not sure but I think we're not supposed to show it - Football league rules.

I'm pretty sure you're right too. And not just the Football League. But of course the really important customers, the one who sit at home watching Sky, are allowed. As I recall, watching Derby's equaliser last season in the Prague pub, after the four minutes were up...
  • Great post Prague !!!

How comes its alwyas the true supporters who get shafted and the cosy "stay-at-homes" who benefit. I can't see why a clock can't show the extra minutes being played - we all know that it is only a "minimum" amount of extra time and further stoppages will mean further time to be played.

It seems daft that if the Swindon game had ben televised WE at the ground would not know how many minutes into injury was left as Llera went for the ball but the TV viewers would

perhaps BDL could try it again and see whay the league say !!
  • Totally agree. If it is a League rule - or a more general one - then it's (another) crappy one.

I can sort of see why you're not allowed to drink in view of the pitch (though don't agree), have less of an understanding why you have to take the top off a plastic bottle (yes it flies further with it on - but still not as handy a weapon as an apple!), but why the f**k aren't we allowed to know the poxy time!!!
  • I noticed this. Clearly the goal in extra time did something to the system to make the clock reappear. It's also worth noting it actually stops a bit before 90 minutes.

I disagree that the rule is a daft one. If we had a clock up in the stadium it's simply another way to undermine the officials. However that's not to say I disagree with you when it comes to those armchair supporters. The rule should be one and the same, the clock on the TV stops/disappears a minute or so before the 90 comes up.
  • mmmm strange.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: BrentfordAddick[/cite]Never mind that, what did happen to the old valley clock?[/quote]

I'm sure Airman Brown knows who acquired it. . .
  • Talking about announcers, great move from BDL playing Kashmir by the mighty Led Zep before kick off on Boxing Day!
  • For the want of something better to do, I e-mailed the Football League re Stadium Clocks. Here is their reply:

The clock stops on 45 and 90 minutes as the Laws of the Game state the match lasts two equal periods of 45 minutes. The referee is the official timekeeper and allowance for time lost is at his discretion – this can vary from the minimum ‘added time’ indicated by the fourth official.

The Football League, Premier League and Football Association follow UEFA’s policy on stadium clocks “Clocks in the stadium showing the amount of time played may run during the match provided they are stopped at the end of normal playing time in each half, i.e. after 45 and 90 minutes respectively. This stipulation also applies in the event of extra time being played (i.e. after 15 minutes of each half).”
  • Sponsored links:

• WSSWSS
    edited December 2009
    Can that not just show a normal clock (i.e. telling the actual time)?

Just that I noticed, yesterday, that the clock at Griffin Park just stopped at 16.51 until the game ended.
  • [cite]Posted By: Solaraddick[/cite]For the want of something better to do, I e-mailed the Football League re Stadium Clocks. Here is their reply:

The clock stops on 45 and 90 minutes as the Laws of the Game state the match lasts two equal periods of 45 minutes. The referee is the official timekeeper and allowance for time lost is at his discretion – this can vary from the minimum ‘added time’ indicated by the fourth official.

The Football League, Premier League and Football Association follow UEFA’s policy on stadium clocks “Clocks in the stadium showing the amount of time played may run during the match provided they are stopped at the end of normal playing time in each half, i.e. after 45 and 90 minutes respectively. This stipulation also applies in the event of extra time being played (i.e. after 15 minutes of each half).”

But why are the television clocks allowed to keep running?
  • Surely people not knowing how long is left just makes them whistle and get on the refs back even more? If we know there's a minimum of 4 mins and only two mins have gone then there's no need/point moaning at the ref to blow up, is there?

Abyway, Christ, we're adults - most of us - so what's wrong with letting us know roughly how long is left in the game that we've just paid good money to come along and watch?
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Surely people not knowing how long is left just makes them whistle and get on the refs back even more? If we know there's a minimum of 4 mins and only two mins have gone then there's no need/point moaning at the ref to blow up, is there?

Abyway, Christ, we're adults - most of us - so what's wrong with letting us know roughly how long is left in the game that we've just paid good money to come along and watch?

Don't be dense off it. If they put the time up how would Man U & other big teams get to play 7 mins added, when there were only 4 ? :-)
  • Exactly!
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Don't be dense off it. If they put the time up how would Man U & other big teams get to play 7 mins added, when there were only 4 ? :-)

But the time added is a minimum isn't it?
  • [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Don't be dense off it. If they put the time up how would Man U & other big teams get to play 7 mins added, when there were only 4 ? :-)

But the time added is a minimum isn't it?

Yes, but a minimum 4 minutes means up to 4 mins 59 secs, not 7 mins plus like Man U get :-)