Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should we have done a Sheffield United?

I recall that 5 or 6 years ago Sheffield United was playing West Brom.
If my memory serves me correctly Sheffield United had 3 players sent off and went down to playing with 8 men. Neil Warnock made sure that all of their substitutions were used and then “allegedly feigned two additional injuries so that the referee had no option but to abandon the match because Sheffield United were down to only 6 players and the football league rules state that a team must have more that 6 players in order that the match proceeds.

I don’t remember if the result stood or if the match was replayed. However if Sheffield United got away with it good luck to them.

Would Charlton Lifers have been happy if Parkinson had tried something similar yesterday?

Comments

• Options
    Yep - we should definitely have done that Dickie. That way we would have avoided getting a point out of the game in the last minute and just suffered an automatic 3-0 forfeit. I like the way you 'think'
  • Options
    Result stood then at a 3-0 defeat (coincidentally the same score awarded for a win by default)
  • Options
    As I said I don't recall what the outcome of that match was. If Sheffield United suffered a penalty of an 3-0 forfeit then I agree with you Leroy, play on and take your chances.
  • Options
    Charlton did the right thing ..... played to the law and spirit of the game.

We hold our heads up high.
  • Options
    apart from burton and sodje of course !!
  • Options
    lol ...... in context talking about whether we should have tried to get the game abandoned, Rudders !!

;o)
  • Options
    no we shouldnt
  • Options
    Thought about that yesterday and still definitely NO
  • Options
    Definitely not - absolutely ridiculous question. Don't recall this Sheff Utd case but if true they should have had the book thrown at them - feigning injuries to affect the outcome of a game is akin to that 'bloodgate' thing that happened in rugby earlier in the year.
  • Options
    sorry - correction - "that excuse for a 'sport', rugby"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: FatterThanAndyReid[/cite]Definitely not - absolutely ridiculous question. Don't recall this Sheff Utd case but if true they should have had the book thrown at them

Tsk, really! Throwing books would have just risked more injuries ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: FatterThanAndyReid[/cite]sorry - correction - "that excuse for a 'sport', rugby"[/quote]

I think they did
  • Options
    what an utterly ridiculous suggestion. we got a point out of the game! why would we try and get it abandoned. and to say "if sheffield united tried it and got away with it then good luck to them" - are you serious? this is the same warnock-led sheffield united who happily accepted a replay for unsportsmanlike behaviour in the fa cup against arsenal. idiotic
  • Options
    Just a pointer regarding the original hypothetical question - when I used to ref, the rules stated that the result stands after 70 mins played - I assume this still applies ?