Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PLC AGM

2»

Comments

• Options
    Derek Chappell was not there again :-)
  • Options
    Great report Henry, much appreciated.

RM seems to have backtracked a bit re Norwich, previously gave the impression they were in worse shape than us. But he's guessing anyway, I suppose.
  • Options
    Thanks for the report Henry, really open account of events.
  • Options
    Thanks for that Henry.
    Just to continue the line on Puncheon-his wiki page (not the most reliable source of info, I concede) says he's on a season long loan with 'no call back'.
  • Options
    Cheers Henry, very informative.

I still have concerns that more could have been done to get us closer to a breaking even figure. The fact we are so far away from it worries me hugely. For example, with half the season gone not once has our crowds been within 7,000 of capacity so surely savings could have been made by relocating those in the West Upper and closing that area, or the South, or the North Lower, or the Quadrants, for example.

I really hope lessons have been learnt in terms of player wages etc, but i doubt it to be honest.

Yassin Moutaoukil, a full back with no real senior experience, or English experience, has been paid in excess of £1m in wages since joining a club outside the premiership who were supposedly on a cost-cutting programme at the time. That works out to roughly £43k for every dubious Championship performance he gave. Whilst many people on the minimum of salaries were turfed out during the summer, we've paid him something in the region of £120k in the last couple of months to for him to play for another team, and had to bring in another full back to play. Madness.

Moo2 isn't the only one. The Christensen farce, the £11m wasted on Varney, Gray and McLeod, the list goes on. And when we wonder how Colchester can compete at our level with a budget of less than half of hours, the answer is it is probably being managed in the right way.
  • Options
    The real saving on stewarding cost would come from shutting the lower west or the east, but shutting any area of the ground is not a good marketing strategy for season tickets. Even the north lower has 1,500 season-ticket holders who would be displaced.
  • Options
    Thanks for the summary.

If they're holding out for a bid from Rangers or Celtic for Moots, then it's not going to happen. Rangers finances are more precarious than ours and Celtic have a decent full back, so a huffy bloke that hasn't set the heather alight, isn't going to have them dribbling. His wage/ability is going to make him hard to move on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Cheers Henry, very informative.

I still have concerns that more could have been done to get us closer to a breaking even figure. The fact we are so far away from it worries me hugely. For example, with half the season gone not once has our crowds been within 7,000 of capacity so surely savings could have been made by relocating those in the West Upper and closing that area, or the South, or the North Lower, or the Quadrants, for example.

I really hope lessons have been learnt in terms of player wages etc, but i doubt it to be honest.

Yassin Moutaoukil, a full back with no real senior experience, or English experience, has been paid in excess of £1m in wages since joining a club outside the premiership who were supposedly on a cost-cutting programme at the time. That works out to roughly £43k for every dubious Championship performance he gave. Whilst many people on the minimum of salaries were turfed out during the summer, we've paid him something in the region of £120k in the last couple of months to for him to play for another team, and had to bring in another full back to play. Madness.

Moo2 isn't the only one. The Christensen farce, the £11m wasted on Varney, Gray and McLeod, the list goes on. And when we wonder how Colchester can compete at our level with a budget of less than half of hours, the answer is it is probably being managed in the right way.

It is madness, what's worse is those players were signed as part of the cost cutting themselves. Instead of £2m and £20k+ a week on Traore and Faye each, we paid just over £1m for McLeod on £6-8k a week.

Like Parky said, Pardew signed too many players that might be good. He took a risk on several players, hoping it would all come together and take us back up, while they develop into good Premier League players.

While Parky's here I doubt we'll sign many "exotic" players like Moutaouakil, Semedo and Racon, but we should see good solid players come in that we know will do the job like Dailly and Richardson. Just the sort of players we'll need over the next few years, whether we get promoted or not. In fact Pardew has tried to do it himself at Southampton with signings like Murty and Connelly. Can see us trying to cut the wage bill even if we do get promoted.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]His wage/ability is going to make him hard to move on.
    Well we managed to move Christensen on in the end. Hope he moves and takes lower wages for the sake of his career. Much better for him if he finds a club and settles down than we loan him out for another season and a half until his contract expires.
  • Options
    Any mention of the potholes?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Or jumpers in the superstore?
  • Options
    NU Toilets?