Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it now the year 'Twenty Ten' or 'Two Thousand and Ten'?

Back in the good old twentieth century the English language referred to years by dividing them into two parts
e.g. 1987 = 'nineteen, eighty seven' NOT 'one thousand nine hundred and eighty seven'
1066 = 'ten sixty six' NOT 'one thousand and sixty six'

With the arrival of the year 2000 this changed, partially due to necessity - it's difficult to say twenty o - o- and also partially due to a feel-good, space-age feel of saying 'two thousand'.

Surely now though we've got to change back, haven't we? After all, it's a lot easier to say 'twenty-ten' than 'two thousand and ten.'

How will you be referring to the year 2010 and the years to come?

Comments

• Options
    It'll be Twenty-Ten, Jim.

We live in the age of abbreviation and text speak!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]It'll be Twenty-Ten, Jim.

We live in the age of abbreviation and text speak!

True answered people even use text speak when sending us letters at work lol.
  • Options
    sink. Already been done under ''next year the big question''
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]sink. Already been done under ''next year the big question''

oooooohhhh - handbags! Sink the other thread if you want.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Back in the good old twentieth century the English language referred to years by dividing them into two parts
    e.g. 1987 = 'nineteen, eighty seven' NOT 'one thousand nine hundred and eighty seven'

With the arrival of the year 2000 this changed, partially due to necessity - it's difficult to say twenty o - o- and also partially due to a feel-good, space-age feel of saying 'two thousand'.

Surely now though we've got to change back, haven't we? After all, it's a lot easier to say 'twenty-ten' than 'two thousand and ten.'

Bang on the money post
  • Options
    From The 'other thread' (which I've now found - sorry, Sir):

* Oggy Red
    * CommentTime2 days ago

quote# 14
    20 - 10, twentyten........ as we come out of the Naughties and enter the Teenies.

But it can't be the 'teenies' until we get to 2013, can it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Back in the good old twentieth century the English language referred to years by dividing them into two parts

Bang on the money post

Yep spot on. I guess that the real crunch when we have to revert back will come in 91 years time when it would be two thousand one hundred and one. From then on it will be far too much of a mouthful and will need to be 21 01 (French phone number style), not that a suppose any of us will be around to know.
  • Options
    Twenty Ten, in 5 years time we will have hover boards!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Yep spot on. I guess that the real crunch when we have to revert back will come in 91 years time when it would be two thousand one hundred and one. From then on it will be far too much of a mouthful and will need to be 21 01 (French phone number style), not that a suppose any of us will be around to know.

Henry's been around a long time, so if he can do it - maybe some of us will too ....?:

"Sir Henry Irving. Born in Somerset in 1838, the year of Victoria's Coronation, Irving's rise to prominent as an actor-manager was a slow and ..."

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]From The 'other thread' (which I've now found - sorry, Sir):

* Oggy Red
    * CommentTime2 days ago

quote# 14
    20 - 10, twentyten........ as we come out of the Naughties and enter the Teenies.

Good question .... but then "teen" is only a corruption of "ten", as in fourteen, four and ten.

So Twenty Ten, in my book at least, is a "teen".
    Deffo Teenies, then!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I learned - while watching the Beeb's breakfast show - that they have a fantastically vital department that studies pronunciation that were looking into this matter. Glad they're not wasting the licence fee on shit.

I'd have thought it would have to be 20 10. It's not like anybody is calling the Olympics the two thousand and 12 games, so the same logic will follow.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Twenty Ten, in 5 years time we will have hover boards!

Hoverboards were invented before BTTF2 was made but deemed too dangerous to be sold commercially.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]From The 'other thread' (which I've now found - sorry, Sir):

* Oggy Red
    * CommentTime2 days ago

quote# 14

Good question .... but then "teen" is only a corruption of "ten", as in fourteen, four and ten.

So Twenty Ten, in my book at least, is a "teen".
    DeffoTeenies, then!

So do you consider an eleven year old to be a teenager?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]It's not like anybody is calling the Olympics the two thousand and 12 games, .

Not sure that's true, is it?