Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Coyle to Bolton

Burnley have confirmed he's held talks with Bolton.

Feel sorry for Burnley fans if this happens, the bloke rejected Celtic to stick with them and even though he played for Bolton I don't think it's much of a step up, although he would get more money etc to spend.

Comments

• Options
    Shows how highly the Scottish league is thought of!
  • Options
    If he goes down with Burnley, he'll be remembered as the guy who took them up, if he goes down with Bolton, he'll be just another manager who chanced his arm and failed. I'd stay with Burnley and follow in the footsteps of Paul Jewell when he stayed with Bradford. Mind you, i'd stay out of the NotW centre pages too whatever his decision is.
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited January 2010
    He's probably realised just how hard it's going to be to keep Burnley in the prem and/or cement their place. Bolton have it all in place in terms of moving onwards with funds available (i presume?)

Harsh on Burnlee' though.
  • Options
    Maybe he's just exploring his options.

If somebody offered me a better paid job, with better facilities, tools of the trade, etc ..... I would owe it to my family to at least take a look. Ambitious people do that ....that's called exploring furthering your career.

But I wouldn't just jump ship. Especially if I'd built something from nothing, and I still had faith in it and from the people who supported me.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]He's probably realised just how hard it's going to be to keep Burnley in the prem and/or cement their place. Bolton have it all in place in terms of moving onwards with funds available (i presume?)

Harsh on Burnlee' though.

If Burnley go down they can mount another promotion push, based on the parachute and the funds they accumulate this year, if Bolton go down they join the ex premiership free fall and dismantling of an established premier set up. Really don't think he should jump.
  • Options
    Tough on Burnley and only a small step up for Coyle. I gues, crucially, he knows there is very good infrastructure in place at Bolton whereas Burnley have a long way to go to be a Premiership setup both on and off the pitch. Not a great deal between their two first teams at the moment though imo and we know only too well how hard it can be to turn a ship around mid-season and how deep an 'established' premiership side can sink if they get relegated.

Think he's taking a big risk if he does join Bolton but fair play to him for having the balls to do it and it's good to see the likes of him a Martinez getting chances after doing well in the Championship instead of clubs instantly looking for a big name from abroad.
  • Options
    Appears that it's in Coyles contract that he can talk to people if they are ready to pay Burnley 3million for his services. Bolton missed out on Steve Bruce last time round because they wouldn't agree to something similar with Brum, so it seems this time they are ready to part with the cash. Looks like Curbs is interested, but he's plan B at the moment.
  • Options
    Very handy for Coyle, if it is indeed a step up ...... as it means he doesn't have to uproot his family.
    You can't put a value on that.
  • Options
    well, seeing as he applied for The Valley vacancy when Pards left and Burnley were 4th at the time it doesn't surprise me at all.
  • Options
    That surely cannot be true...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Maybe living in Burnley is the problem.
    40,000 people and 50,000 empty houses.

I mean, would you choose to live there .... ?

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Maybe living in Burnley is the problem.
    40,000 people and 50,000 empty houses.

I mean, would you choose to live there .... ?

;o)

Could be worse. 4,000 holes in Blackburn.
  • Options
    It might not seem much of a step up but money talks. He's obviously going to be on a much better deal with a bigger transfer budget. Burnley have obviously wilted at the prospect of £3m for him.
  • Options
    Burnley is an crap-hole and a hot-bed for the BNP, but i very much doubt Coyle actually live in Burnley itself. I'd happily live in the Lancashire Pennines though, really beautiful part of the world.
  • Options
    Burnley -> Bolton is a big step up. Better stadium, facilities, money and players. It's possible that our wage bill is bigger than Burnley's. Bolton have been in the Premiership since 2001/02 too.
  • Options
    Bolton is Coyle's team. He played for them for a number of years. I think he will go.

They are also a better long term bet than Burnley.
  • Options
    I am surprised Coyle did not want to see the job through at Burnley to the end of the season. Burnley are probably in a better position than they would have expected in the Prem and if they can maintain good home form, they will stay up. I think Pompey, Hull and one other to go down, If Coyle stays I reckon Burnley would be ok. Also at the end of the season, he could then think about a move, somewhere bigger and better than Bolton.

I think Coyle may struggle to turn Bolton around in the short term, he is renowned for good football and it will take time for Bolton to adapt after years of Alardyce and Megson. Bolton are in a bad position now, could take time before they begin to feel the benefits of a manager like Coyle.
  • Options
    surely burnley are the better team in this one? although that said there is many factors like stadium & if boyhood club and get more money

Dont do it Coyley its not worth it take over them end of season if its really what you wanna do, even if they go down as they will need more then january to sort them out!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]surely burnley are the better team in this one? although that said there is many factors like stadium & if boyhood club and get more money

Dont do it Coyley its not worth it take over them end of season if its really what you wanna do, even if they go down as they will need more then january to sort them out!

Burnley have only performed 2 points better than Bolton this season. With a decent manager Bolton should be far superior given the calibre of players they have, and in all other respects Bolton are a bigger club. I think he should go for it.
  • Options
    It seems a bit like Kenny Jackett being appointed the new Charlton manager tomorrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]It seems a bit like Kenny Jackett being appointed the new Charlton manager tomorrow.[/quote]

Or Iain Dowie.... Oh S**t
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]It seems a bit like Kenny Jackett being appointed the new Charlton manager tomorrow.

Or Iain Dowie.... Oh S**t

LOL .... I'd forgotten we'd been in that movie before!
  • Options
    Burnley have announced that manager Owen Coyle has reaffirmed his desire to leave the club and join North West rivals Bolton Wanderers.

The Clarets are now set to enter into talks with the Trotters due to the fact that compensation, believed to be valued at £3million, has yet to be agreed.

Bolton have been searching for a new boss since the sacking of Gary Megson following the 2-2 draw with Hull City on 29th December when a two-goal lead was surrendered.

A statement on Burnley's official website read: "Owen Coyle has today reaffirmed his desire to leave Burnley football club and join Bolton Wanderers football club.

"Burnley football club will now enter discussions with Bolton Wanderers football club, due to the fact that compensation between the two parties has yet to be agreed.

[cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Bolton is Coyle's team. He played for them for a number of years. I think he will go.

They are also a better long term bet than Burnley.

Thought so :-)
  • Options
    Poor Burnley, watch them drop like a stone, unless alan curbishley is appointed......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    Bolton have been searching for a new boss since the sacking of Gary Megson following the 2-2 draw with Hull City on 29th December when a two-goal lead was surrendered.

I thought there was some regulation that didn't allow other clubs managers to be tapped up and approached during the season.....?

Punishable by a fine or something.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Poor Burnley, watch them drop like a stone, unless alan curbishley is appointed......

That is actually a great shout. If they could persuade Curbs to go there, he's their best hope of survival.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Poor Burnley, watch them drop like a stone, unless alan curbishley is appointed......

That is actually a great shout. If they could persuade Curbs to go there, he's their best hope of survival.

I really can't see Curbs going there.

Years of building up Charlton from little into an established premiership club, and then keeping West Ham in the Premiership and leaving with his reputation intact. All progressing to a dream career move to.. Burnley.

That being said, he's short on options at the moment. If I was Curbs I would sit tight and see if something like Wigan becomes available around March sort of time when chairman get nervous.
  • Options

Well someone has to get the job, why not Curbs?
  • Options
    Nah, they'll go for another Scot and as Darren Ferguson has joined Preston then it has to be Paul Lambert. Then Norwich will sink like a stone................ dream on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bangkokaddick[/cite]Nah, they'll go for another Scot and as Darren Ferguson has joined Preston then it has to be Paul Lambert. Then Norwich will sink like a stone................ dream on.

That's a good point, Kokker.

There's a vacancy at a small Premier club ...... there must be a few up and coming young managers who'd love a pop at the Prem.