Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Battery Weight?

Hey everyone,

Was having a discussion earlier with someone(not very techinical) but whether a battery weight got less when used?
I have looked online, sad i know but still cant really get any good answers so just wondered what you lifers thoght.

Comments

• If you laid in a bath and then filled it up, right to the rim - in the case that one more drop would make it overflow - then if you drunk a glass of water what would happen?
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If you laid in a bath and then filled it up, right to the rim - in the case that one more drop would make it overflow - then if you drunk a glass of water what would happen?

The phone would ring
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If you laid in a bath and then filled it up, right to the rim - in the case that one more drop would make it overflow - then if you drunk a glass of water what would happen?

The phone would ring

Don't bank on Nathan answering though...
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If you laid in a bath and then filled it up, right to the rim - in the case that one more drop would make it overflow - then if you drunk a glass of water what would happen?

Nothing until you pissed yourself, then it would overflow!!
  • Drinking ... alone in the bath? It's not natural.

Going back to the original question..... it is well-known that E=mc2, so the conversion of some of the battery's mass (weight is a force, of course, so mass is the correct term) into energy means that there is an overall reduction when the energy is removed. However, you get a lot of energy for a small amount of mass (as c - the speed of light - is such a large number), so the mass reduction of the battery would be so negligible that you'd struggle to detect it.

Eat your heart out, Stephen Fry.
  • good god, if you applied that with some train knowledge you'd be crowned CAFC no.1 fan. ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]good god, if you applied that with some train knowledge you'd be crowned CAFC no.1 fan. ;-)

Where did I put my 'Steam Engines of Paraguay' DVD?
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Drinking ... alone in the bath? It's not natural.

Going back to the original question..... it is well-known that E=mc2, so the conversion of some of the battery's mass (weight is a force, of course, so mass is the correct term) into energy means that there is an overall reduction when the energy is removed. However, you get a lot of energy for a small amount of mass (as c - the speed of light - is such a large number), so the mass reduction of the battery would be so negligible that you'd struggle to detect it.

In fairness that is close to the best answer i have heard but in simpler terms, thanks for that! lol silly question i know and the other person says that energy has no weight so therefore there is no difference. in a way we are both right as it does change going by your answer even if by the smallest amount

strange but just always feels like a used battery is lighter then a new battery does anyone else think that or just me?

I would have said that the water has no weight but it would go over due to your moveent or the weight of the glass no
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]good god, if you applied that with some train knowledge you'd be crowned CAFC no.1 fan. ;-)

Where did I put my 'Steam Engines of Paraguay' DVD?

lol
  • Sponsored links:

• as you may tell i was never one for science at school :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]strange but just always feels like a used battery is lighter then a new battery does anyone else think that or just me?

There's no way that they would feel different
  • edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    I would have said that the water has no weight but it would go over due to your moveent or the weight of the glass no

You evidently haven't carried an empty bucket in one hand, and a full bucket of water in the other.

Try it Johnny .... you'll see what I mean.

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

You evidently haven't carried an empty bucket in one hand, and a full bucket in the other.

;o)

Oh yeah lol no comment, i am a bit stupid sometime ill be the first to admit it :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Drinking ... alone in the bath? It's not natural.

Quality reply
  • [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

You evidently haven't carried an empty bucket in one hand, and a full bucket in the other.

;o)

Oh yeah lol no comment, i am a bit stupid sometime ill be the first to admit it :-)

Or put some used batteries in the full bucket to lighten it up a bit?
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

;o)

as u do

Or put some used batteries in the full bucket to lighten it up a bit?
  • [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    i am a bit stupid sometime ill be the first to admit it :-)

Can we have that in writing, Johnny ?

Oh, we just have, lolololol

;o)