Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Well played Greenwich Council

edited January 2010 in Not Sports Related
Got off the train at New Eltham on the way home tonight and the whole area has been salted/gritted - roads, pavements, the lot. In fact walking along Footscray Road (towards Sidcup) part of the pavement had no snow at all. Then, a couple of hundred yards along the salt stopped and the pavement was completely covered in compacted frozen snow that made it like walking on an ice rink.

The reason? I had obviously just crossed the border into Bexley - hang your heads in shame Bexley Council!

In truth though, it's pretty pathetic that the two Council's haven't tried to come up with some sort of co-ordinated effort. Maybe I should do a Drogba and sue them?

Comments

• It all depends on which part of the Bexley/Greenwich border you are. I've got it the other way around. In Plumstead parts of it are a nightmare, but Welling roads and pavements are clear.

You are spot on a co-ordinated effort between the two would have been nice.
  • watched the news last night, they showed a road up north with about 3 foot of snow. A snow plough from one council went up the road, stopped and backed up the road. So if you drove up, you met a 3ft wall of snow.
  • Lewisham have been very slow to grit even the most well used pavements in the borough. I was shocked at the condotion of the market area outside Lewisham shopping centre, it was just sheet ice the other day, I saw two people fall over and another who required hospital treatment near the DLR station.
  • As mentioned on before Abbey Wood roads well gritted
  • edited January 2010
    Yes Bexley have yet again have not come up to the mark. In fairness they did salt my close, by hand and thanks for that, but have not seen a salt lorry in Bexley all week.

They have not bothered to co-ordinate the social services with the older residents in the village, not bothered to go to the Alms houses, or salt the pavements around the GP surgeries where i live.
    So there policy of priority lacks 'reality'..... at least around her.

The assumption seems to be ' not our policy '. quite where there policy kicks in I am begining to worry,..... when there is three foot of snow, frozen pipes and people trapped in there houses!...
    Quite what are the council waiting for ' an emergency'. There seems to be little or no social responsibility with this lot, until you do not pay your council bill, a week late with a payment and the letters arrive......asking why you are late in paying your council tax in advance! . Only Capita/Councils could dream that one up!. took 6 months to send me a refund though!
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]Lewisham have been very slow to grit even the most well used pavements in the borough. I was shocked at the condotion of the market area outside Lewisham shopping centre, it was just sheet ice the other day, I saw two people fall over and another who required hospital treatment near the DLR station.
    The street opposite the police station is like an ice rink, I don't think I've seen any grit at all.

As for Greenwich council, aren't they going to spend thousands of pounds on replacing all of the road signs in the borough to say 'Royal Borough of Greenwich', as apparently this is what residents want?
  • Gave someone a lift from ours in lee (greenwich council part) to lewisham the other night and was shocked to see that there doesn't seem to have been a bit of salt in any of the side streets at all. Had to get pushed out of the space I'd parked in