Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Withnail & I appreciation thread

edited January 2010 in Not Sports Related
No football, house to myself, thought I'd watch an old classic. What a brilliant film this is. So many quality lines.

We've come on holiday by mistake, are you the farmer?.

Anyone else a fan? Probably Richard E Grants' finest hour!

Comments

• I saw it for the first time over Christmas.

So cringeworthy at times, it had me pissing myself.

Especially the queer old Uncle and Withnail's drunken drive back along the motorway, with the old Bill trying to keep up.
  • We want the finest wines available to humanity. And we want them here, and we want them now!
  • And that battered old Jag with just one headlamp ...... how did it even get out of London, let alone the Lake District and back? lol
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I saw it for the first time over Christmas.

So cringeworthy at times, it had me pissing myself.

Especially the queer old Uncle and Withnail's drunken drive back along the motorway, with the old Bill trying to keep up.

The drive is very funny. Even funnier is the urine test at the police station when he is caught.
  • Have to say the funniest scene is early on when they run out of booze and Withnail storms round the house screaming "I must have some booze, I demand to have some booze" Still laugh out laud everytime I comes out with "you bloody fool you should never mix your drinks" after Withnail drinks meths and then lighter fluid!
  • Scrubbers!

Great film.
  • We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!
  • A camberwell carrot.... that bloke played the same role in waynes world 2.
  • Classic....Absolute classic.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]We want the finest wines available to humanity. And we want them here, and we want them now!
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Find your own favourite quote Chunes ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• "Look at him, his mechanism's gone"
  • "WHY DIDN'T I GET SOUP?"
    "WHICH FU*KER SAID THAT?"
    "I HAVE A HEART CONDITION"
  • As a student in Cardiff, in the late 80's, we had a copy of the film on VHS, recorded from some foreign TV station.
    I'm not sure if you could actually get a legit version of the film back then.
    There were subtitles on our version in what we thought was Danish but it might have been something else.
    We often played a 'drinkalong' game, where we had to drink whenever one of the characters did.
    Very messy times.
    I love the film as it reminds me of those times.
    "Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day"
    "we've come on holiday by mistake..."
  • Happy to be corrected on this one, but I'm told it was the first time the "c" word was used in a British film.....

"Monty you terrible c..."
  • Withnail lines:
    • We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now.

• I feel like a pig shat in my head.

• I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.

• I want something's flesh.

• Don't threaten me with a dead fish.

• I'm going to pull your head off, because I don't like your head.

• I have a heart condition. If you hit me, it's murder.

• Look at that. "Accident Blackspot"? These aren't accidents. They're throwing themselves into the road gladly. Throwing themselves into the road to escape all this hideousness.

• Warm up? We may as well sit round this cigarette. This is ridiculous. We'll be found dead in here next spring.

• What happened to my cigar commercial? What happened to my agent? Bastard must have died.

• We've gone on holiday by mistake.

• These are the sort of windows faces look in at.

• Right, here's the plan. First, we go in there and get wrecked, then we eat a pork pie, then we drop a couple of Surmontil-50's each, means we'll miss out on Monday and come up smiling Tuesday morning.

• This place has become impossible. Nothing to eat, freezing cold and now a madman on the prowl outside with eels.

• If I ever see that silage-heap hanging about up here, I'll take the bastard axe to him. Bastards!

• Throw yourself into the road, darling - you haven't got a chance.

• I fail to see my family's of any interest to you. I've absolutely no interest in yours. I dislike relatives in general and in particular mine.

• I must say, that represents a level of hypocrisy in you that I'd previously suspected, but not noticed due to your highly evasive skills.

• Why can't I have an audition? It's ridiculous. I've been to drama school. I'm good looking. I tell you, I've a fuck sight more talent than half the rubbish that gets on television. Why can't I get on television?
  • Great film, the chicken cooking scene is a classic too...
  • I love that scene with Danny.

"If I spiked you, you'd known you'd been spoken to"

"Two quid? You can stick it up your arse and f*** off while your doing it!"
  • Withnail (after spitting) "Look at that. Apart from a raw potato it's the first solid to pass my lips in three days"

Uncle Monty: "I intend to have you, even if it must be burglary"

And a million others. The film is quotable from start to finish. Best British film of all time.
  • Can't stand that Grant fella;
    He butchered the Spice Girls movie.........
  • [cite]Posted By: Marco[/cite]Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day
    Forgot this one. I use this regularly in day to day life.
  • Sponsored links:

• The discussion about the strong man who has taken steroids is class as well....

"who the hell is Jeff Wold, he's got a head like a bowling ball. Imagine the size of his balls....."
  • "We are multi-millionaries. we'll buy this place and fire you immediately." "Yeah, that's right, we'll buy this place and install a fucking juke box and liven all you stiffs up a bit."
  • great film but sadly what happened to mr grant, all downhill and after such a promising start. did he suffer in a similar manner to hugh?
  • my heart's beating like a fu***d clock!
  • We are Multi Millionaires
  • I to Danny (who is smoking a camberwell carrot) - "aren't you getting ridiculously high"

Danny to I - "precisely the reason I'm smoking it"