Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oh the times they are a' changing

edited January 2010 in Not Sports Related
or to be more accurate have changed.

An extract from The Way We Were by George Glazebrook an autobiographical look at life, primarily in Woolwich and Eltham, between the wars and the early part of World War 2:

......"Now my ears are rudely opened and voices and screams register noisily, unreal as though through a loud-hailer. People stagger to their feet. "Christ Almighty!" Someone splutters "the bloody Odeon's** gone - that was a near one.."

But the Odeon is still there highlighted by a huge flame hissing madly from the middle of the tram-track some twenty yards away. A gas-main has taken a direct hit. Twisted iron strips that were once tram-lines point crazily at the night.

A man turns to my father: "Thats torn it, that has. No bleeding trams tomorrow. A walk to Woolwich and back!"

The man is proved wrong. It is tomorrow now and the trams are on the move. Come snow, fog and Adolf Hitler they will run ... They always have run and they are in no mood to stop now......"

**for the benefit of those who do not know the area "The Odeon" is Well Hall Odeon, a cinema which in more recent years was known as The Coronet. No idea what it is now.

Comments

• The Odeon/Coronet is still there but not in use,i used to live in Glenlea Road,my old house is now where the bus station is situated