Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vista to Windows 7

BDLBDL
edited January 2010 in Not Sports Related
Has anyone upgraded?

If so, is it easy what do I do? Is it a case of just bunging in the disk?

Comments

• cant help but im interested to know how it goes
  • edited January 2010
    Haven't done it (Vista to W7), but in my experience upgrades are never as stable as clean installs.
  • I've done it but had to do a clean install as I wanted to upgrade from Vista 32 Bit to W7 64 bit. All went pretty smoothly but was made a lot easier by having an external hard-disk to backup to. W7 does seem to be smoother and faster, although I have had a couple of hangs.

Biggest faff was hunting around for a couple of drivers as my old ones wouldn't work on a 64 bit system.
  • I'll be keeping an eye on this as well-

Any comments other than "get a Mac"????
  • As for a cheap version, the only thing I can think of is the student software company, £57, but you need to be able to prove you have a kid at school or Uni, so you may need to use a friend or relatives kid.

http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Windows_7_Ultimate_32_bit_Edition_Upgrade-details.aspx
  • Microsoft were doing a student upgrade - you could get Home Premium or Professional for £30, but you need an @ac.uk email address (which fortunately the missus gets cos she's on the OU). Not sure if the offer is still running though.
  • I flog business intelligence software, business to business.

We've recently issued a new release which, amongst other things, make it Windows 7 compatible.

Talking to existing business users, I find most of them are still using XP, most never bothered with Vista, but many are ready to take on Windows 7 as they perceive it far more user friendly and trouble free than Vista.

Vista was one platform that really bombed for Microsoft.
  • like it, have done the exam in too.

faster booting and less hangs so far.

Made the mistake of doing a dual boot, with a fresh install on my second partition - but my manufacturer won't release all the software so to keep old my old stuff I need to restore the original machine to factory and do an upgrade - not the end of the world and not the fault of 7.

Few niggly driver issues sorted farily quickly.

Generally shows vista up for the piece of sh*t it is.

:)
  • So the feeling I'm getting is back up everything, then do a clean install.

Have a free version coming for my son's PC as we bought it in September. Will try that first as he has little stored on it yet.
  • Good old Microsoft doing educational packages. (I'm a University worker)
    I got Office Pro for £10 a couple of months back and XP pro for about he same. Windows 7 is available to me as well but I wont bother with it until I'm forced to.