Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Divorced/Separated parents...costs of birthday parties.

edited January 2010 in Not Sports Related
The ex-wife has announced that she's arranged a birthday party for my little 'un, who turns 4 at the end of January. She's hired Go Banana's for a couple of hours...one of her friends works there and managed to get a good discount apparently. As yet though, she's not asked me for any money towards it but should I or should I not offer? Now given I pay child maintenance of over £500 a month, my parents and some close friends seem to think I would be mad to offer any money towards the party but part of me thinks I should be contributing.

Have asked my colleagues in the office this morning and they seem split. 5 say yes I should, 7 say no.

Is there an unwritten rule for stuff like this? What do you lot think?

Comments

• Options
    not if you're paying 500 quid a month! That should cover costs of things like this.

Do not offer anything.
  • Options
    How much do you earn to be paying that figure?!?? Is that through the CSA?

In a similar position to you and I try not to pay for things like that, a big chunk of my income goes to the CSA and if I started to pay for things like that I'd be pretty screwed financially.

Pay for this and then it'll be pay for her holidays, etc
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    How tight are you !? Typical spurs .

Pay up for the party and get a BIG present
  • Options
    It reads as if you want to be involved be it financially or otherwise.

If she has booked the event and hasn't asked for money it would seem she thinks she can afford it from her income, including the child maintenance.

But then if you don't offer to help in some way she or others might well comment on your lack of contribution.

Never been in your situation but I would suggest avoiding trying to one-up your ex by throwing money around. Ask your Ex if there is a big present your child wants (a bike?) that you could pay for but which would be a present from you both.
  • Options
    If you are generally happy with your communications with her, ask her? She will tell you. Your saying 'she announced' suggests that this was not a shared decision and this needs to be addressed, for next time something similar arises.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You're paying a lot in maintenance which is surely intended to cover this, nonetheless there's probably little point in throwing up your arms and refusing to help at all .....

.... you could say you'll contribute in other ways - being there of course and maybe buying/sorting-out food and drinks for the kids, helping with lifts etc.
  • Options
    Are you attending the party?

If so perhaps a quiet word at an appropiate time to ask if there is anything she needs in connection with it.

The onus is then on her.
  • Options
    well is he even invited?

500 quid? what on earth... that is more than i have ever heard of.
  • Options
    Are you actually invited John Boy ....?

If your ex has made it clear you're not welcome, then your decision is easy.
    But if you're actually involved, and coming along - then it could well be a grey area.

PS: Been through all this myself, a few years ago, so good luck mate!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]She's hired Go Banana's for a couple of hours...one of her friends works there and managed to get a good discount apparently. As yet though, she's not asked me for any money towards it

A further thought:

Your ex has got mate's rates here ........ so if I were again in your shoes, I'd keep my cards close my chest until she declares her hand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Exactly how much does 'Go Bananas' cost for a couple of hours anyway? And then she's got a discount on top of that.
  • Options
    dont you hate it when someone asks a question/opinion and then just f&cks off?
  • Options
    £500 p/m should cover stuff like this surely?...now im no expert and i know people say having a child etc is expensive but if she is putting close to £500 towards your child also, then £800 - £1000 p/m runs whole families....let alone just 1 four year old child.

Seems to be like you have already contributed when paying your child maintenance!
  • Options
    How much of the £500 is cash or does some of it go on the mortgage/rent?

Personally I think the issue is involvement not cost but I could well be wrong.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]dont you hate it when someone asks a question/opinion and then just f&cks off?

Yeah , lets go back and edit all our answers saying he's bang out of order and he should stump up more cash .

That'll learn him
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]dont you hate it when someone asks a question/opinion and then just f&cks off?

Yeah , lets go back and edit all our answers saying he's bang out of order and he should stump up more cash .

That'll learn him

Personally I think we should all club together and buy the kid a Charlton kit and a membership of young Addicks.
  • Options
    Good idea, Henry.

Fancy having a Spud for a father.

;o)
  • Options
    Seems a pity that you weren't involved in the planning. If you're not invited, then perhaps worth considering that you arrange a separate special birthday trip for you and the kiddie. Quality time etc plus the kid knows that both parents value his/her birthday. Money means nothing to kiddies, spending time with daddy does.
  • Options
    Sorry, actually had some work to do this morning :-)

Firstly, yes, I'm invited. Also, the grandparents, great granny and uncle has been invited too, along with two of my close mates with kids the same age, who we see regularly, so no-one is being excluded, which is good.

To explain the £500 a month, there's a few elements to this. Firstly and obviously the main Child Maintenance part looks after the roof over her head, food, clothes and other stuff. The second part is a payment direct into my daughter's trust fund to set her up in the future (Uni fees, car, whatever) and the third smaller element is spousal maitenance. I say small but its still a significant amount each month and would rather not pay it but have agreed to it rather than let the court set the amount, which could have been much much higher, so have to think myself lucky to an extent... I've also agreed to pay maintenance up until my daughter is 21, only upon the condition that if it is paid, it is paid directly to my daughter rather than to the ex-wife. Having said all that, if the ex co-habits for 6 months or more, then spousal maintenance is not then payable, so the sooner she gets shacked up, the better ;-)

So anyway. I've got a very good relationship with the ex. We get on better now that we ever did in all truth. However, if I ask her, I know she'll say yes please, who wouldnt? Do I trust her to tell me the true cost of the party? Do I heck! Perhaps I could contact the venue and pay the hire charge directly or something like that. That would make me happy I've contributed and not directly lined the pockets of my ex-wife.

Should be an interesting party. Will be the first time both sides of the family have faced each other in more than 18 months since we split. I know my parents want to tell my former in-laws exactly what they think of them but I've told them its neither the time nor place to do it. Will be the first time my friends have seen the ex since too and they've already said to me how can they be even civil to her given how she's treated me but said they'd smile through it especially for me and my daughter. Happy Days lol.

Why does everything have to be so complicated lol.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Personally I think we should all club together and buy the kid a Charlton kit and a membership of young Addicks

Over my dead body. She could already sing "Spurs are on their way to Wembley" before she was even 2 and half lol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]Seems a pity that you weren't involved in the planning. If you're not invited, then perhaps worth considering that you arrange a separate special birthday trip for you and the kiddie. Quality time etc plus the kid knows that both parents value his/her birthday. Money means nothing to kiddies, spending time with daddy does.
    Totally agree, being a parent is not just about how much it costs.
  • Options
    I hope you corrected her, and explained the difference between their,there,they're.....

In answer to your original question - go along, be civil, and dont even mention contributing.
    You have already paid for this via your financial support.
    If you feel the need to pay some money, just add it to your present fund because at the end of the day it's all about the presents baby and Daddy must win !!!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]I hope you corrected her, and explained the difference between their,there,they're.....

lol duly corrected. My daughter constantly corrects me on my pronounciation of words. "No Daddy, its ...., not ...." As for the "their, there and they're", as a matter of interest, my brother actually created the associated group on Facebook, so I really should know better!

I have to say, it never has been and never will be about money for me. I'd give my wife as much as she likes just to ensure I still get to see my daugther and spend time with her. I've got a fantastic relationship with her now, I dont take our time together for granted now and I really do make the most of it. I have to say I'm one of the lucky one's though. I've got open access with reasonable notice so I get to spend a fair amount of time with her. Obviously cant tread on the ex's toes too much but I pop up to see her one evening in the week, normally a Thursday evening then I have her one full weekend (Sat/Sun) and then Sun on alternate weeks, so it works pretty well at the moment. In a way, Daddy will always win, as our time together is always fun time. I make sure the onus is on having fun. Nothing boring with Daddy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Personally I think we should all club together and buy the kid a Charlton kit and a membership of young Addicks

Over my dead body. She could already sing "Spurs are on their way to Wembley" before she was even 2 and half lol.

So she only sings in January then ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Sorry, actually had some work to do this morning :-)

Firstly, yes, I'm invited. Also, the grandparents, great granny and uncle has been invited too, along with two of my close mates with kids the same age, who we see regularly, so no-one is being excluded, which is good.

To explain the £500 a month, there's a few elements to this. Firstly and obviously the main Child Maintenance part looks after the roof over her head, food, clothes and other stuff. The second part is a payment direct into my daughter's trust fund to set her up in the future (Uni fees, car, whatever) and the third smaller element is spousal maitenance. I say small but its still a significant amount each month and would rather not pay it but have agreed to it rather than let the court set the amount, which could have been much much higher, so have to think myself lucky to an extent... I've also agreed to pay maintenance up until my daughter is 21, only upon the condition that if it is paid, it is paid directly to my daughter rather than to the ex-wife. Having said all that, if the ex co-habits for 6 months or more, then spousal maintenance is not then payable, so the sooner she gets shacked up, the better ;-)

So anyway. I've got a very good relationship with the ex. We get on better now that we ever did in all truth. However, if I ask her, I know she'll say yes please, who wouldnt? Do I trust her to tell me the true cost of the party? Do I heck! Perhaps I could contact the venue and pay the hire charge directly or something like that. That would make me happy I've contributed and not directly lined the pockets of my ex-wife.

Should be an interesting party. Will be the first time both sides of the family have faced each other in more than 18 months since we split. I know my parents want to tell my former in-laws exactly what they think of them but I've told them its neither the time nor place to do it. Will be the first time my friends have seen the ex since too and they've already said to me how can they be even civil to her given how she's treated me but said they'd smile through it especially for me and my daughter. Happy Days lol.

Why does everything have to be so complicated lol.

If it's any help, I'm in a similar situation to you. I pay the child maintenance and make a 50/50 contribution towards parties and school trips etc simply because I don't want my lad to miss out on anything.
  • Options
    John Boy, sounds like you have a good handle on everything.

Just go along and enjoy the day.