Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advice on Battlefield tours please.

Having just spent Xmas in Berlin courtesy of Leger, we were very disappointed by all aspects of the holiday. But Leger is supposed to be the best for the battlefield stuff as they have very knowledgable guides. Would really appreciate your input on this, what are your recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    Maze Hill?
  • Options
    http://www.holts.co.uk/

I've not used them myself but friends have said they are good.
  • Options
    http://www.battle-honours.co.uk/about.htm

Clive Harris, who co-owns them, is a Charlton fan.

Alternatively you could try Imissthepeanutman on here who's organised more than a few trips around WW1 battlesites for me and Addickted.

Very knowledgeable and more of a personal touch.
  • Options
    Use an independent tour guide.

The rest of my family went to Auschwitz last year and booked a guide from the local area. They said because he lived locally, he was far better than a professional guide.

For example, he knew that all the tours started from the main gates, so he took them to the rear and started from the other side of the camp. They noticed that they had plenty of room, but all the groups were fighting for space to see everything.

So, if you know the place you want to visit, look on the net for local tour guides who live in the area.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][url]http://www.battle-honours.co.uk/about.htm[/url]

Clive Harris, who co-owns them, is a Charlton fan.[/quote]

Clive is very knowledgable and has infectious enthusiasm.
  • Options
    www.quasimodo.be/

If you are in BRUGES then I would recommend the tour by this guy.Think his name is Phillippe.

He lives locally in Passendale and gives a very intersting & passionate commentary as he goes round.

I've been twice.
  • Options
    Many thanks to all. We're also off to Auschwitz in March, so all very helpful.

RIP.
    Miep Gies, the office secretary who defied the Nazi occupation regime to hide Anne Frank and her family in a concealed apartment for two years, has died.
    She was 100.
    Ms Gies also rescued the papers of Anne's diary.
    The Anne Frank Museum's spokeswoman, Annemarie Bekker, said Ms Gies died from a neck injury she suffered in a fall at her home shortly before Christmas.
    Ms Gies was the last of the few non-Jews who supplied food, books and good cheer to the secret annex behind the canal warehouse where Anne, her parents, sister and four other Jews hid for 25 months during the Second World War.
    After the apartment was raided by the German police, Ms Gies gathered up Anne's scattered notebooks and papers and locked them in a drawer for her return after the war.
    The diary chronicles Anne's life in hiding between 1942 and 1944.
    Anne died of typhus in a concentration camp.
  • Options
    I have done a number of Battlefield Tours. In my opinion Holts Tours are by far the best Holts were the original company that started the Battlefield tours, and they take some beating.

Everything about the Holts tour is professional. From the itinerary, through to the professionalism of the Tour Guides. When I went to Verdun, Richard Holmes (the TV presenter) was the tour guide and his knowledge and connections was excellent