Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savage turns on reporter over rumours

Taken from the Palace BBS, but I thought it was worth sharing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/derby_county/8453055.stm

Comments

• Options
    Yeah - listened to that on the radio. Quality stuff there from Savage - kind of like the Newcastle nonsense with Kinnear only not filled with expletives and much better constructed. Savage is one of those players that, when they play for you, you love 'em - when they play for the opposition, you hate 'em. Much like Nicky Bailey in that respect.
  • Options
    great stuff from Robbie there
  • Options
    You gotta love Savage, at least he's standing up for what he believes in.
  • Options
    Hes a bellend.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]You gotta love Savage, at least he's standing up for what he believes in.

Agreed, Savage is quality.

[cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Hes a bellend.

You are a bellend. FACT
  • Options
    Quality.
  • Options
    His arguments didn't always make that much sense, but is always nice to hear a footballer passionate about his club and their plight. To be fair, that's how all players should be.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]You gotta love Savage, at least he's standing up for what he believes in.

Agreed, Savage is quality.

[cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Hes a bellend.

You are a bellend. FACT

I agree.
  • Options
    Good to see him coming out as club captain on behalf of the players and sticking up for the coaching staff and putting the station straight. Also good to point out that the radio station never offered the club the right to reply on these "rumours". I sympathise with Savage, the media in the country seem to enjoy sporting failure more than they do success because when everything is going well they can't find anything to report on.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thats pukka.

''Martin Taylor, did he play in the Premier League?''

''Might of done...''

''Yeah, he did''

The Journo shits himself and starts to get a attitude on. Like a 14 year old girl.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    just come on here to post that! That was superb Savage. Your a knob but that was superb. Reporter stuttering like a bitch. Loved it
  • Options
    Certainly his arguments do not make much sense........ Savage who according to Wicki ........ After failing to break back into the first team, Savage was sent out on loan in October to Brighton for a month to keep match fit.[21] He would later reveal one year later, in a build-up to a match between Leicester and Derby County, that he had tried to secure a loan deal to the Walkers Stadium (Leicester had declared an interest in him months earlier). Savage even telephoned club ambassador Alan Birchenall and former teammate Paul Dickov to put in a good word with manager Nigel Pearson. Pearson, however, "said no", despite Derby offering to pay "90 or 95 per-cent" of Savage's wages.[22]...... so this die hard Derbyite who has been with the team since er......Jan 2008

He gives the impression that a journalist does not have the right to question him on his team's performance....... As people have said good for him that he stuck up for the backroom staff, but what about asking the question Savage, so why put yourself up as a spokesperson. The journalist did stand by his comment and was obviously not prepared to reveal his source. Now there is a revelation!.

Sorry, do not think there is much in this, except have a go at a local reporter, try in on with Andy Grey mate and see how far you get.
  • Options
    Wow!

Superb stuff.

You seem to have all the answers!!!
  • Options
    To be fair to the journo, he can't really reveal who his source is if he has one. If he did, that source would be turfed out straightaway and no one would talk to the journo again about behind the scenes stuff at Derby County. It's a lose-lose situation for the journo and win-win for Savage and Derby (people are talking about this, not the fact they got tonked by Scunthorpe at home). Well played.

The petulant reaction by the journo towards the end is really bad. Savage has his head glued on - he's not going to pretend they played their best match on Saturday, so it's probably not a good idea to try and blame him for Derby being sucked into a relegation battle.
  • Options
    Wow!

Superb stuff.

You seem to have all the answers!!!.......

Yes it hard to think of a club that would not answer questions to a journalist!......Even when you do not have an ' agenda.' Reminds me of the board at Charlton this time last year eh Dave! ......
    Me thinks Robbie doth protest to much.......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Certainly his arguments do not make much sense........ Savage who according to Wicki ........ After failing to break back into the first team, Savage was sent out on loan in October to Brighton for a month to keep match fit.[21] He would later reveal one year later, in a build-up to a match between Leicester and Derby County, that he had tried to secure a loan deal to the Walkers Stadium (Leicester had declared an interest in him months earlier). Savage even telephoned club ambassador Alan Birchenall and former teammate Paul Dickov to put in a good word with manager Nigel Pearson. Pearson, however, "said no", despite Derby offering to pay "90 or 95 per-cent" of Savage's wages.[22]...... so this die hard Derbyite who has been with the team since er......Jan 2008

He gives the impression that a journalist does not have the right to question him on his team's performance....... As people have said good for him that he stuck up for the backroom staff, but what about asking the question Savage, so why put yourself up as a spokesperson. The journalist did stand by his comment and was obviously not prepared to reveal his source. Now there is a revelation!.

Sorry, do not think there is much in this, except have a go at a local reporter, try in on with Andy Grey mate and see how far you get.

Couldn't agree more Ken. Think Savage comes across as a spoilt p###k who having made his point just wouldn't let it go and answer the blokes question or talk about why his team weren't performing. Instead chose to attack the reporter for basically doing his job.
    "You're a professional footballer, just get out there a do your job."...oh how many times have I've shouted something along those lines at the tv...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Certainly his arguments do not make much sense........ Savage who according to Wicki ........ After failing to break back into the first team, Savage was sent out on loan in October to Brighton for a month to keep match fit.[21] He would later reveal one year later, in a build-up to a match between Leicester and Derby County, that he had tried to secure a loan deal to the Walkers Stadium (Leicester had declared an interest in him months earlier). Savage even telephoned club ambassador Alan Birchenall and former teammate Paul Dickov to put in a good word with manager Nigel Pearson. Pearson, however, "said no", despite Derby offering to pay "90 or 95 per-cent" of Savage's wages.[22]...... so this die hard Derbyite who has been with the team since er......Jan 2008

Remind me what you do for a living again fella? Just so that I can make sure you're not biased in any way, like.
  • Options
    SiSi
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]

Remind me what you do for a living again fella? Just so that I can make sure you're not biased in any way, like.
    To be fair though, we are all football fans so are likely to come down on the side of the player! This makes you bias in the same way you may think Ken's media links make him so!

To be honest, I agree with much of what Ken said. Savage defended his team and his point - but the rest of what he was saying was unfair, and didn't seem to make much logical sense, imo.

This was a powerful, well supported, well paid professional football player vs. a local journo trying to do his job. Not exactly a fair match. (Contrast this with Lampard vs the plonker on talksport - now that's more of a fair match. Plus Lamps' criticisms were spot on and justified).
  • Options
    HA, very good
  • Options
    Fair enough to criticise the rumor mongering about the backroom staff but Savage then became a bit puerile and lost his way in the argument.

The reporter, however, also came across as a bit of a dickhead, antagonising the interviewee is never a good idea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All a bit embarassing if you ask me. Two people who didn't reaally know what their arguments were.

As a professional Savage should accept the team are going ot get some stick. I wonder what we would have said last season if the same had happened and Bailey came out like that?
  • Options
    I think you know Leroy... I work at the bbc, or will do till March, then I am working on on couple of books that I hope to write/design being a designer/photo-journalist, one on kids football which i used to be involved with.

I used to be a music journalist 30 years ago. So now you know!..... Never been on radio except Charlton live to which I plead guilty.. as charged. (I was the guy trying to get the directors on this time last year.) but they escaped capture.
  • Options
    I think Savage made his point well initially but then maybe got himself too wound up to answer anything else logically. I was never a fan of Savage as a bloke but met met him a few years a go when we played Birmingham and I've got to say he was really nice and seemed to have a lot of time for fans.
  • Options
    That reporter sounds just like Alan Partridge, that is quality.
  • Options
    Can't see why this reflects well on Savage, he had a good point for the first 60 seconds or so about the unsubstantiated rumour but then degenerated into a repetitive & irrational arguments.

He is bascially saying that because it's the local radio station they should without question only report positive spin about the club - who owns Derby these days? Did Maxwell secretly sell them to his mate Ceaucescu all those years ago?
  • Options
    I think that no journo should report rumours they should report facts then you wouldnt get in this situation,

The fact that many of them fail to report anything substantial throughout the year makes them want to write and spk shit about players and behind the scences bullshit that 99 times out of a 100 fails to appear.

If the Journo had heard these things he should have said Robbie i wont give you their names on air but i will after,

The journo did genuinely seem to be enjoying the failings at derby county and spoke utter tosh throughout the interview, Robbie didnt come across much better but hats off to the fella for having a pop back
  • Options
    Derby knocked Smallwall out of the Cup last night so well done Savage.

I thought it was quite right for RS to challenge the reporter on the use of "rumours".

RS also very cleverly avoided the reporters trick of "so here's your chance to deny it" which would of course have been spun into "Savage denies blah blah" headlines and kept the story running.

Someone's been doing their media training hey, Robbie.

Usually journalists have the upper hand when dealing with young inarticulate footballers as they (the journo's) have all tricks of their training to use in order to get the quote or angle that they want. For once, a player bit back.
  • Options
    Savage started off well but it got just a tad laboured and a bit cringe worthy after a couple of minutes...can't fault his right and decision to have a pop though.The jorno was certainly taken aback.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]I think that no journo should report rumours they should report facts then you wouldnt get in this situation,

The fact that many of them fail to report anything substantial throughout the year makes them want to write and spk shit about players and behind the scences bullshit that 99 times out of a 100 fails to appear.

If the Journo had heard these things he should have said Robbie i wont give you their names on air but i will after,

The journo did genuinely seem to be enjoying the failings at derby county and spoke utter tosh throughout the interview, Robbie didnt come across much better but hats off to the fella for having a pop back[/quote]

1] If journalists only reported "facts" there would be next to nothing in the papers.

2] Most of the spurious stories out there in the press come from agents trying to pimp players or clubs trying to offload them, very few are "made up" as such.

3] If the reporter had been told about unrest in the camp from a player/staff member then he can't tell Savage who his source is, for obvious reasons - nobody would ever talk to him off the record again.

4] The reporter totally crossed the line in the second half of the interview and was baiting Savage, that won't go down well with anyone.
  • Options
    Fair play to him for questioning the unfounded rumours but for the rest of it he sounds like a babbling drunk repeatedly going over the same points. Dodged the bullet of the journo's question throughout. Moaning about the journo reporting the fact that boos rang out was daft. What do you expect him to say? The team had their pants pulled down by Scunthorpe but the crowd left in an upbeat mood, optimistic about their future. The bit about where the coaching staff had played was incoherent. HE'S PLAYED FOR REAL MADRID (doesn't make him a great coach), HE'S PLAYED IN THE PREMIERSHIP how many times? ONE GAME! Then the other one HE WAS A GOOD LOWER LEAGUE PLAYER. Surely the smart move would have been to deny the rumour and state that the coaching staff are good and leave it at that, as going on about the job that they did previously has no bearing on their ability and made him seem a little dim.