Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cobra Beer and others similar

2»

Comments

• Options
    doom bar is good so are most ales compared to any lager.
    Lager is beer for people who dont like beer. Pure chemical rubish.

Anything by the Meantime Brewry is worth a go. Their place is Penall Rd. SE7... Charlton beer.
  • Options
    Im personally a Lager man. I've never tried an Ale but would give it a go.

When i think of Ale, it just reminds me of the old blokes in Lloyds bar up Bexleyheath drinking warm Spitfire and smelling of piss. I'll give it a go but i dont wanna end up like them!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Im personally a Lager man. I've never tried an Ale but would give it a go.

When i think of Ale, it just reminds me of the old blokes in Lloyds bar up Bexleyheath drinking warm Spitfire and smelling of piss. I'll give it a go but i dont wanna end up like them!

Old man sniffing strange habits you lager drinkers have;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Im personally a Lager man. I've never tried an Ale but would give it a go.

Seriously, when you walk in there is a yellow smog of wee smell. Its got to be the ale! ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]

Seriously, when you walk in there is a yellow smog of wee smell. Its got to be the ale! ;-)

Well i dont wanna end up like them either but i dont have a addictive personality so im sure il be ok ;-). I have tried Spitfire before with my old man in Kent in a word Spitfire is shocking.
  • Options
    having drunk lager all my life well since 14/15 i do feel i have missed out as i walk along looking at the beers in the supermermarkets s and see some of the local area beers with great names and heritage i think lovely it must be like tasting local and differant cheeses but alas i think years of drinking cold cemical liquids have ruined by taste buds as all the ale and beers i have tried tast like sh*te......so please can anyone recommend beer that may help me slowly move from Lager ( love it ) to ale.........cheers
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dartford,

Maybe try some Belguim beers such as Leffe Blonde or Hogarden which are close to lagers. Then try Leffe Brune which is stronger and brown/brune.

If in the pub try a pint of ale first before hitting the lagers. It will taste odd if you drink it after lager.

I love the Shephard and Neame beers like Spitfire or Bishops Finger but it is a different taste and different way of drinking almost. Sipping rather than knocking back (well, maybe that's just me).

Also maybe try just one bottle of one the Ale's from the supermarket with a meal at home. Food and Beer. Can't beat it.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite]having drunk lager all my life well since 14/15 i do feel i have missed out as i walk along looking at the beers in the supermermarkets s and see some of the local area beers with great names and heritage i think lovely it must be like tasting local and differant cheeses but alas i think years of drinking cold cemical liquids have ruined by taste buds as all the ale and beers i have tried tast like sh*te......so please can anyone recommend beer that may help me slowly move from Lager ( love it ) to ale.........cheers[/quote]

Only one way to find out mate. I occasionally do the real ales but am mostly drinking cider. Looking forward to Bristol Rovers
  • Options
    lol i know and shed load of it.......we going have a couple before getting train at Marleboune or first up there
  • Options
    Henry i will take on your tips and maybe have a half of soup in the Oak its a Sheps pub......before a few lagers tonight
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Erdinger now sold in bottles at Wetherspoons. Granted you have to go in the doss house but a great beer and they give you the "special" glass !
  • Options
    I had Cobra on holiday in Goa, about 20 years ago. It had a strange after taste, nothing like what we have in this country.May be its changed nowdays over there. I normaly have a bottle or 2 in the indian only because its about the only "beer" on sale.
    It aint bad but I cant say its any better than any other ice cold lager type drink.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]I had Cobra on holiday in Goa, about 20 years ago. It had a strange after taste, nothing like what we have in this country.May be its changed nowdays over there. I normaly have a bottle or 2 in the indian only because its about the only "beer" on sale.
    It aint bad but I cant say its any better than any other ice cold lager type drink.

Well i quiet like it but i am begining to feel that most "ice cold Lager type drinks" are all the same. I would luv to get a collection of different beers and try each one to find my prefered tipple. I luv the idea of different beers tasting different but i do feel most lagers are the same sort of gassy cold taste, which i dont mind but am getting a bit bored of it now. im 23 now time to branch out me feels.
  • Options
    Cobra is an English beer designed to drink with curry, first brewed in the 90's the idea from a bloke in Cambridge or something that there are no bubbles to fill you up so you can scoff more curry, based on IPA he also hoped to appeal to bitter drinkers in curry houses who wanted something lighter with their Curry. Blooming smart if you ask me. They do a King Cobra and a flavoured version also now, not tried them myself. Personally when in india i just drank Kingfisher and the rather excellent Kings

The cold gassy lagers have moved on a bit nowadays as pointed out by the more esteemed drinkers above.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]Cobra is an English beer designed to drink with curry, first brewed in the 90's the idea from a bloke in Cambridge or something that there are no bubbles to fill you up so you can scoff more curry, based on IPA he also hoped to appeal to bitter drinkers in curry houses who wanted something lighter with their Curry. Blooming smart if you ask me. They do a King Cobra and a flavoured version also now, not tried them myself. Personally when in india i just drank Kingfisher and the rather excellent Kings

The cold gassy lagers have moved on a bit nowadays as pointed out by the more esteemed drinkers above.

O right thats quiet interesting i understand now why it looked as though it went flat as soon as i pored it out. i thought i was nice even though i was eating pasta it went down ok.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]Cobra is an English beer designed to drink with curry, first brewed in the 90's the idea from a bloke in Cambridge or something that there are no bubbles to fill you up so you can scoff more curry, based on IPA he also hoped to appeal to bitter drinkers in curry houses who wanted something lighter with their Curry. Blooming smart if you ask me.

I didn't know that, T ...... as you say, blooming smart thinking.
  • Options
    There's a place in the West End, can't for the life of me remember what it's called, that does loads and loads of different flavoured beers.

I had a banana one and tried a couple of others last time I was up there, tasted lovely.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]I luv the idea of different beers tasting different but i do feel most lagers are the same sort of gassy cold taste, which i dont mind but am getting a bit bored of it now. im 23 now time to branch out me feels.

As you get older you'll find that you tend to prefer quality over quantity, and go for something that appeals to you individually rather than just following what everybody else does or what gets blanket advertising.

As Henry points out, there are also many non-mainstream lagers gradually becoming available in this country mainly in supermarkets but increasingly in pubs too - sourced from all over Europe, with their individual character and flavour.

Traditional British beer is an aquired taste perhaps - most of us addicted to "real ale" ( 'orrible term) cut our teeth on the mass produced gassy chemical lager manufactured in the UK - but once you do get a taste for traditionally brewed beer, then you can drink gassy keg beers only under sufferance.

Cask beer is not pasteurised, not force fed with carbon dioxide like keg beers, and is very much a "living" beer.
    Consequently it has a limited life once it's opened, usually about 4 days.

It also has to be maintained at a temperature around 10-12 degrees Centigrade.

You can go into some pubs and be served a "rough" pint - that would normally mean the beer is at the bottom of the barrel or past it's sell by date. Or the landlord is careless or clueless how to look after or serve it.

You tend to avoid those pubs.