Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ten and a half things you never knew about Wycombe

2»

Comments

• Options
    The nickname actually derives from an unfortunate incident at the local public school when the headmaster was leaving.
    The deputy head told the headboy to organise 'three cheers for the head'.
    The headboy arrived on stage to howls of derision with three chairs from the nearest classroom.
  • Options
    These references to chairs ........just don't stack up.
  • Options
    West Wycombe was home to the notorious Hell Fire club - a band of dissolute aristocrats used to hang out in some purpose built caves and commit all kinds of debauched and indecent acts.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]West Wycombe was home to the notorious Hell Fire club - a band of dissolute aristocrats used to hang out in some purpose built caves and commit all kinds of debauched and indecent acts.

Not a chairs joke, BFR?

Sofa, so good.
  • Options
    The town is named after its most famous resident, stanley wycombe who had a double act with bertie pies, wycombe and pies where legendary performers in the 60s to the 80's its rumoured there christmas day spectaticular would attract viewing audiences of between 18 to 19. People would flock from afar as watford and hertfordshire to see them perform.
  • Options
    Oggy
    When it comes to safas I have a deep-seated fear.

some of these posts should be throne out
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]Oggy
    When it comes to safas I have a deep-seated fear.

Apparently Wycombe is a town.....i always thought it was a settee.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]Oggy
    When it comes to sofas I have a deep-seated fear.

Agree .... we shouldn't settle for less, or I could couch it in stronger terms .....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: smudge7946[/cite]13. Wycombe Wanderers are the only team in the football league to have the first five letters of the alphabet in there name.

You might have to spell it out for me .....
  • Options
    Wycombe Wanderers nickname of the "chairboys" is because the area is famous for it's chair making industry.
    They're also very good at passing stools.

In Wycombe you can always find choice sofas, armchairs, coffee tables and, erm....... pouffes.
    In fact Wycombe is renowned for its pouffs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The chairmaking business in Wycombe started around the time of Alfred the Great when everyone lived in those grass and mud huts. In fact one chairmaker was such a supporter of Alfred he made a special chair for him, ready for his Coronation. When it was finished he put it upstairs in his hut ready for the big day. Unfortunately it was so heavy it fell through the ceiling and landed on him, breaking his neck. Which just goes to show that people in grass houses shouldn't stow thrones!
  • Options
    Wycombe (Pronounced Wire Combey) is a popular boy's name in West Affica.
    Wycombe were originally known as Wycombe Inertia, until their Chairman fell in love with the 1979 film The Wanderers staring... err...well it didn't actually 'star' anybody.
    Adams Park is currently the subject of a fierce legal ownership battle between Cliff Adams and Adam Ant. Cliff Adams claims to have bought the ground in the 1970s, whilst Adam Ant claims his family have right of tenure as Ants have inhabited the land for an unbroken period lasting several centuries.
  • Options
    The Chairboys' gameplan is always to sit on a 2-0 lead, so they have a cushion to fall back on.
  • Options
    We've a 100% record with the Adams family!
  • Options
    edited January 2010