Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What direction now with the squad?

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
Our current situation:

Things are looking better - some seem to think we should compete with Arsenal at their ground with an injury crisis an absent midfield/strikeforce, and a demoralised defence, however I believe our home form against lesser teams and some away points which should come now under Pards, will see us put up a good fight if not avoid relegation.

It is still early doors so to speak, but so far we have been doing better against teams outside the top 6 which is what we need to be doing. Our sharp upturn in shots on target is evidence of this.

The squad:

I'm not sure that now is the time for radical surgery of the squad, although clearly the summer spending failed to address the weakenesses.

I think we need three players - a couple of midfielders and a striker, to have a decent team. However there is no point in spending more cos you could spend 20m and get relegated. The need for a proven striker is now more urgent of course, although Bent may not be out for long.

Of course the board may now have deicded to cut our losses and sell Bent due to his inury and our over reliance on him. They may also be looking to lower the wage bill, and want to get rid of high earners who aren't giving value for money - this could be achieved by bringing in hungry, lower waged, younger talent.

There is a strong argument for the above even if we stay in the Premiership, although if we could keep Bent and get better value from the rest of the squad that would be preferable.