Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    If anyone wants to know why Spike Lee walked away in disgust when Green Book won the Oscar, I would suggest listening to the New York Times Daily Podcast from earlier this week. 

It's available here. 

I haven't seen Green Book yet so it's hard to comment, but I understand Lee's perspective now. I'm often not a fan of his style but him not getting any Oscar recognition for so long, and losing out to Driving Miss Daisy and Green Book when he IS nominated, is crazy. 

The crux of the podcast above is that Green Book, like The Help, Miss Daisy and many others, features horrible white people learning the errors of their ways while black characters only exist to help the white people achieve that. 

That's a pretty boiled-down explanation from me, the podcast explains it much better than I can. When I consider the complex relationships between the black and white characters in BlacKKKlansman, I find it hard not to side with him. 

And kudos to Kim Basinger for calling the Academy out on it while presenting best picture in 1990. I didn't know about that, and it's a fucking amazing thing for her to have done. 

I'd like Spike Lee a lot more if he got rid of that massive chip on his shoulder. He's made some piss poor films in the past 20 years and that's the reason he hasn't won

To compare Green Book with Driving Miss Daisy is ridiculous. Green book is a great film and worthy of winning best picture. If he's actually saying it's about horrible white people learning the error of there ways while black characters on exists to help white people achieve that then 1. He hasn't seen Green book and 2.  We might as well dismiss great films Like The Green Mile and American History X . 

Sorry ,  but the man is Pillock at times and should concentrate on making better movies instead of digging out other film makers  . BlacKkKlansman '  whilst being a pretty good film , didn't deserve best picture because it wasn't good enough.   Green Book was .  Try to get to see it Jimmy . I think you'll like it a lot. 
    So Do the Right Thing and BlackKklansman didn't win because he made other films that were bad?  That's weird reasoning, especially as any tosh he's made in the last twenty years happened after Do the Right Thing was not even nominated.
    Do the right thing is 30 years old and was in an era when he made good movies and I agree he should have been nominated  . I was talking about why he hasn’t won in the last 20 years and why he shouldn’t be complaining about Green Book unless he made a better movie - He didn’t.
    Quite a lot of people, including most of the name critics, think he did. 

I should have of added “ in my opinion “ . 

I thought BlacKkKlasman was a good film made more thought provoking by the last five minutes when you see the footage of what happened at Charlottesville but Green Book has stayed with me much more since I watched both .
    I thought both were good films and ultimately any award is subjective. 

'Do the Right Thing' should have won Spike Lee an Oscar and it was certainly the best depiction of racial tension in a film that I've seen. 

I feel that Roma, Capernaum and Shoplifters are the best films of the last twelve months in terms of their originality and storytelling.
  • Options
    Very late on this one but finally got round to watching Manchester By The Sea as it was on my flight. Wanted to open the door and jump from 35,000ft at one point. Affleck was quality and there were a couple of funny moments, but ultimately I felt like I made myself depressed for very little reason. Not my cup of tea.
  • Options
    I hate trying to think.of the best films over a set time frame as inevitably I will get some wrong or in the wrong time 

A Star is Born was definitely up there 
    Bohemian Rhapsody was ok I don't think it was much more than a songbook though 
    3 billboards and wind river were superb but I'm sure they were the year previous 

I'll watch black Kkklansman soon I like Spike Lee but he can make frustrating films that just indulge him. And he banged Ricki Lake 
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Missed It said:
    Here's a thing.

I was planning to go see Fighting with My Family next Friday.  Trouble was all I could find was screenings for Captain Marvel.  So I looked for showings at other cinemas for the weekend or the following week and all I can find is Captain Marvel.  So I think WTF and start to dig a bit deeper and it looks like for the entire week, Captain Marvel is showing on practically every cinema screen in the UK, excluding every other film out at the moment.  And not just the UK, it's the same across the USA, Canada and Australia too.  Pretty much every screen at every cinema in the English speaking world, nothing but Captain Marvel for a week!  

I've never seen anything like this before.  Is it even legal?!    

I was looking at advance dates as well and  saw marvel everywhere and i thought it was because they are still deciding the schedule for other films.

i stopped watching marvel films after civil war. Find them all very similar and formulaic.

I reached peak Marvel a while back, Civil War was the last one I saw at the cinema.  I've tried Black Panther on Sky a few times but have never finished it.  It's all become a bit dull and samey.

I can't believe that one movie can switch off the advance booking for every other film.  That doesn't seem right or fair to me.  I'm trying to organise a trip to the cinema next Friday and I have no idea where or when the film we want to see is going to be.  So annoying.
  • Options
    As far as I know the cinema chains are well
    within their rights to choose which movies they show. 

Historically, cinema chains were owned by the studios and so they only showed their own movies. There was a landmark ruling that stopped that in the 50s, and so cinemas became independent from studios. Although the emergence of entertainment apps is seeing a return to that system IMO. 

Today, cinema chains all want the biggest movies and will keep them on screen until they’ve squeezed every penny from them (they insist on 90 day exclusivity for that and go nuts if a distributor offers a home entertainment option before then). Marvel movies will be more attractive to Odeon or Cineworld than Fighting With My Family. 

Also, distributors don’t tend to release movies in the weeks around a tent pole release unless it’s counter programming (a rom-com alongside Captain Marvel for instance) and Fighting With My Family fits that bill. So this is a bit odd. 

But I’m not certain every chain is allowed access to every movie - I assume so, but someone more in the know might need to comment here. 

• Options
    I appreciate that cinemas have to do everything they can to maximise their earnings when they're competing against so many other cheaper, easier entertainment alternatives.  Back when films were on film a cinema could only show the prints they had.  With digital distribution today, it's quite possible for a cinema chain to show the same film on every screen all day but that doesn't mean they should.  What about consumer choice?

I'm a Curzon member so was a bit put out when they only listed Captain Marvel.  That sort of film is not really what they're about.  They show them, they have to make a living after all, but it's not the market they usually look to.  I'm sure Curzon don't have deals with all distributors, they often miss out on quite popular films. 

I looked at other cinema chains, Cineworld, Odeon, Showcase, it's all the same.  Captain Marvel or go without at the moment.  I had a look at overseas cinemas too.  It's the same in USA, Canada and Australia.  The only cinema I could find not doing it was the Prince Charles, but they're an independent rep. cinema so don't really count.

It's not even as if Captain Marvel tickets haven't been on pre-sale already for ages.  I have friends who got their tickets weeks ago.  (I passed, I'm not paying stupid first night West End prices for a movie I'm not bothered about)  I don't see the need, or the justification for every cinema chain to block pre-booking for every other movie out. 

I know Disney/Marvel are starting to panic a bit on this film in case it does a "Solo".  The trailers weren't much cop and Bree Larson just looked bored in all of them.  I think they're right to be worried.  I'm a bit of a comic nerd and even I'm not going to see it.  It all just smells a bit fishy to me, like cinemas are operating on a cartel basis or Disney is twisting arms.  Wiping out the competition like this on opening weekend would certainly help the film.  

• Options
    Missed It said:
    I appreciate that cinemas have to do everything they can to maximise their earnings when they're competing against so many other cheaper, easier entertainment alternatives.  Back when films were on film a cinema could only show the prints they had.  With digital distribution today, it's quite possible for a cinema chain to show the same film on every screen all day but that doesn't mean they should.  What about consumer choice?

I'm a Curzon member so was a bit put out when they only listed Captain Marvel.  That sort of film is not really what they're about.  They show them, they have to make a living after all, but it's not the market they usually look to.  I'm sure Curzon don't have deals with all distributors, they often miss out on quite popular films. 

I looked at other cinema chains, Cineworld, Odeon, Showcase, it's all the same.  Captain Marvel or go without at the moment.  I had a look at overseas cinemas too.  It's the same in USA, Canada and Australia.  The only cinema I could find not doing it was the Prince Charles, but they're an independent rep. cinema so don't really count.

It's not even as if Captain Marvel tickets haven't been on pre-sale already for ages.  I have friends who got their tickets weeks ago.  (I passed, I'm not paying stupid first night West End prices for a movie I'm not bothered about)  I don't see the need, or the justification for every cinema chain to block pre-booking for every other movie out. 

I know Disney/Marvel are starting to panic a bit on this film in case it does a "Solo".  The trailers weren't much cop and Bree Larson just looked bored in all of them.  I think they're right to be worried.  I'm a bit of a comic nerd and even I'm not going to see it.  It all just smells a bit fishy to me, like cinemas are operating on a cartel basis or Disney is twisting arms.  Wiping out the competition like this on opening weekend would certainly help the film.  

The Cineworld website is certainly allowing you to book anything as I've been using it.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

The Cineworld website is certainly allowing you to book anything as I've been using it.

Check the week of 8 to 13 March and see how you get on.  I'm trying to organise something for this Friday that isn't Captain Marvel and not having much luck.
  • Options
    @JiMMy 85  It's actually 16 weeks and 3 days from cinema release to Digital/DVD release.  90 days in the USA.
  • Options
    Wow that’s longer than I thought! My old boss was obsessed with bringing that down and releasing on subscription same time as cinema, but I read an interesting piece this week that said day and date releases were dead. You think that’s true? 

Also just to be clear on the above - I’m not supportive of cinemas maxing our on Marvel - especially Curzon. As @Missed It said, you expect them to offer something different. 

Disney’s dominance of the box office is only going to get stronger too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Wow that’s longer than I thought! My old boss was obsessed with bringing that down and releasing on subscription same time as cinema, but I read an interesting piece this week that said day and date releases were dead. You think that’s true? 

Also just to be clear on the above - I’m not supportive of cinemas maxing our on Marvel - especially Curzon. As @Missed It said, you expect them to offer something different. 

It's kind of depressing to think what will happen when Disney own everything and launch yet another subscription streaming service for the content they're pulling from Netflix.  They've already ruined Star Wars.  Now the word is they are going to shut down Marvel Comics as the comic industry is kind of collapsing and they're only bothered about the movie properties.
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    Missed It said:

Check the week of 8 to 13 March and see how you get on.  I'm trying to organise something for this Friday that isn't Captain Marvel and not having much luck.
    Pretty sure that this is a quirk of the booking systems.

You can book 'blockbusters' weeks in advance, but other films only become available in the week of the screening.

Check tomorrow or Tuesday and it will be widely available.
  • Options
    Watched Serenity the other night. 
    Pleasently surprised, good twist, worth a watch!
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    Missed It said:

Website always works like that - bookings are up until Thursday for most films. New listings for Friday onwards appear at the start of the week.

There are a few things you can book in advance such as unlimited screenings, one-offs and blockbusters but I'm assuming some listings aren't confirned that far in advance. I'm assuming box office figures must affect showings for films.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Saw ‘On the Basis of Sex’ during the week. Biopic about Ruth Bader Ginsburg the US Supreme Court Judge, so a film for those interested in politics in the main. Really uplifting story of an incredible women trying to succeed in a male dominated environment while bringing up a child and caring for a husband suffering from cancer. Concentrates on her early career fighting against gender discrimination so perhaps not one for those of a particular political persuasion. Puts into perspective just how low the bar for Supreme Court appointments has now fallen with Brett Kavanaugh.
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

It's kind of depressing to think what will happen when Disney own everything and launch yet another subscription streaming service for the content they're pulling from Netflix.  They've already ruined Star Wars.  Now the word is they are going to shut down Marvel Comics as the comic industry is kind of collapsing and they're only bothered about the movie properties.
    I hadn't heard of this and a quick search shows it's probably just a rumour: https://www.cbr.com/joe-quesada-disney-marvel-closing-rumor/
  • Options
    Carter said:
    A Star is Born 

I might break the vulgarity ban at some point here. I don't think I can remember watching a film that has lived up to the hype as much as this. Lady Gaga is obviously already a very gifted singer and this gave her an opportunity to show her capabilities off. For me Bradley Cooper deserves all the recognition that comes his way. 

9.5/10 brilliant film and if you don't end up with something in your eye at the end you have no heart 
    Watched it this afternoon with my wife. It seems I have no heart but she does! I thought it was ok, one good song which they made the most of, good performances from the leads, but 7 out of 10 for me.
  • Options
    Free Solo won. Excellent!!!
    Just watched it and my palms were  definitely sweating! Amazing stuff
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Disney to be fair have made Star Wars better than episodes 1-3 were and Marvel too, but they're in danger of overkill.

I'm VERY excited about the next Avengers movie though.

Day and date won't work until the films released are any good.  Sky's choice of movies is particularly poor for this route.  They spend a fortune telling Sky customers it's in cinema and on Sky Movies at the same time.  A weird waste of time and money as the people already being marketed to are already Sky subscribers.....

• Options
    Serenity(Sky one) 2019 - The new one - 5.5/10 - Watchable , but wouldn't shout about it. Not my cup of tea, not really the greatest story line
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY

A film about a wrestling family from Norwich where the daughter makes it to WWE - based on a true story. A good family film with plenty of humour and a decent cast. 7.5/10

CAPTAIN MARVEL

Pretty typical Marvel film with Brie Larson in the main role. Nothing really stood out for me apart from a humorous role for Samuel L Jackson and a few gags about the 1990s setting. 6/10
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Quite enjoyed Captain Marvel. Good Action and storyline along with some decent gags as you’d expect from the Marvel franchise these days. My daughter loved it. We thought it was good too.
    Nice tribute to Stan Lee in the opening titles too.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Have to admit I was quite pleasently surprised... I honestly thought that Captain Marvel was going to go down the route of the new Star Wars films where it would be a rubbish storyline to fit with the feminism angle that Brie Larson has been throwing wherever possible

Its a shame really as regardless of her line "this film isnt for white middle aged men" being a joke or not am sure it'll have turned some away from wanting to see it, but its a really good addition to the Marvel Universe; Larson / Samuel L Jackson and especially Ben Mendelsohn are great appointments by the cast - Certainly found it better than Black Panther.

7/10

Nice build up for Avengers: EndGame in the first Post Credit Scene which I cant wait for next Month!!
  • Options
    Have to admit I was quite pleasently surprised... I honestly thought that Captain Marvel was going to go down the route of the new Star Wars films where it would be a rubbish storyline to fit with the feminism angle that Brie Larson has been throwing wherever possible

Its a shame really as regardless of her line "this film isnt for white middle aged men" being a joke or not am sure it'll have turned some away from wanting to see it, but its a really good addition to the Marvel Universe; Larson / Samuel L Jackson and especially Ben Mendelsohn are great appointments by the cast - Certainly found it better than Black Panther.

7/10

Nice build up for Avengers: EndGame in the first Post Credit Scene which I cant wait for next Month!!
    Nowhere near as good as Black Panther. The script was pretty predictable and it was only really the presence of Samuel L Jackson and a few 90s jokes that lifted it.

The trouble with Marvel films is the scripts are becoming laboured and they think they're far cleverer than they are. The last standout Marvel film for me was Logan.

• Options

7/10

Nowhere near as good as Black Panther. The script was pretty predictable and it was only really the presence of Samuel L Jackson and a few 90s jokes that lifted it.

The trouble with Marvel films is the scripts are becoming laboured and they think they're far cleverer than they are. The last standout Marvel film for me was Logan.

I've been hearing bad things about what they did with Nick Fury, retrospectively messing with him.  I suppose I shouldn't really be commenting as I haven't seen either film but Logan isn't strictly a Marvel movie.  Fox own the rights to X-Men so those films are separate from the MCU.  

Now that Disney are buying Fox, i wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Feige wants to start again with the X-Men as centre of the MCU when the current Avengers storyline and those actors have finished.
  • Options
    Oh without doubt Feige plans to incorporate both Fantastic Four and X-Men into the current MCU once the Fox deal is complete.

Like you say though he plans to completely restart the whole storyline with new actors... Yet as someone who loves what Feige has done so far I've got a feeling he's a proper timeline on when he wants characters involved yet cant see either of those two coming under the MCU for a few more years yet
  • Options
    Logan is a Marvel character although it was distributed by Fox. I'm not really sure if Logan shouldn't be specified as a Marvel film? 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Logan is a Marvel character although it was distributed by Fox. I'm not really sure if Logan shouldn't be specified as a Marvel film? 
    Fox own the movie rights to X-Men.  When Marvel Comics were in desperate need of cash and looking bankruptcy in the eye they sold off movie rights, even part of the character rights too.  This is how it ends up that Marvel Studios didn't have the rights to their single most iconic character, Spiderman.  They can only use Spiderman in Avengers movies now after they made a sharing deal with Sony/paramount, although there's talk that the plug is getting pulled on that.

Marvel only started making money when they set up their own movie studio to make films for the characters they still had rights too.  (Marvel comics is still in big trouble trying to sell its crappy comics).  Some of their very best characters, X-Men, Silver Surfer, Fantastic Four, Spiderman don't belong to Marvel/Disney, so can't join in the Marvel cinematic universe stories (at least not until Disney have bought every other film studio left!!)

In some ways its a good thing.  They can make very different movies like Logan and Deadpool without having to fit everything round a cumbersome multi character continuity, where the story is a slave to what's going to happen 3 or 4 films down the line.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Talking of Marvel I watched Venom last night. Corniest dialogue ive seen in a film, was honestly like it was written by an 11 year old. CGI was good, but then that’s standard these days.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Missed It said:
    Fox own the movie rights to X-Men.  When Marvel Comics were in separate need if cash and looking bankruptcy in the eye they sold off movie rights, even part of the character rights too.  This is how it ends up that Marvel Studios didn't have the rights to their single most iconic character, Spiderman.  They can only use Spiderman in Avengers movies now after they made a sharing deal with Sony/paramount, although there's talk that the plug is getting pulled on that.

Marvel only started making money when they set up their own movie studio to make films for the characters they still had rights too.  (Marvel comics is still in big trouble trying to sell its crappy comics).  Some of their very best characters, X-Men, Silver Surfer, Fantastic Four, Spiderman don't belong to Marvel/Disney, so can't join in the Marvel cinematic universe stories (at least not until Disney have bought every other film studio left!!)

In some ways its a good thing.  They can make very different movies like Logan and Deadpool without having to fit everything round a cumbersome multi character continuity, where the story is a slave to what's going to hsppen 3 or 4 films down the line.

Just to add to this, later this year Marvel/ Disney will almost certainly own Fantastic Four, Deadpool and X-Men, so expect them to get rebooted.

Fox had a bunch of X-Men movies lined up, but Disney have cut them loose. There's Dark Phoenix and New Mutants still to come out, but it's unlikely any more will be made with the same actors/ characters. Maybe a Gambit movie. Maybe. 

Sony are clinging on to Spider-Man and all the villains related to that character. They have a relationship now with Disney, but it might not last. 

Universal still own the distribution rights to Incredible Hulk, which is why Hulk only plays a supporting role in MCU movies. 

https://media.comicbook.com/2017/12/updated-marvel-character-ownership-rights-after-fox-dinsey-1066088.jpg

Edit - when you see the Marvel logo before a Fox or Sony movie, that's NOT Marvel Studios, which is owned by Disney. ]

Edit 2 - Sorry, I didn't read previous posts before prattling on.