Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    I sat through the Snyder Cut, and was pleasantly surprised by it. Unlike BvS it had a mostly coherent script, and unlike MoS the action sequences weren't eye-rollingly relentless. Still, it's not without its problems. For a start, Justice League is trying to do in one film what Marvel did over a decade. And that's still a problem narratively. The film is four hours long for that very reason. Stuff like the introduction of Iris that, at best, offers a bit of character info on Barry, but leaves a plot thread hanging.  And to really enjoy it I think you have to be a fan of Snyder's visuals, which tend to be more artistic and stylised than practical or believable (I know, it's a comic book movie, but still - he seems more interested in still frames than movement). 

I can totally see why Whedon did what he did. His film is a much more compact, accessible popcorn-seller, albeit with an incredibly uneven tone. Still, it helped that WB released this in a lockdown world - I would be far less inclined to sit through a four hour Snyder movie if I were not stuck at home! Much of it is given time to breath that it wouldn't get in a theatrical cut. 

The stuff at the end was somewhat bemusing. Like ideas thrown at a wall and rather than seeing what sticks, Snyder keeps it all in the movie, even if it makes absolutely no sense to the average punter. I guess it's his way of saying "this is what you could have won" had his version been the canon version to build on. Either way, I felt like those scenes were post-credit scenes but Snyder was like, fuck it, throw 'em in! 

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Just seen Justice League only available on NOW Tv atm. Had hoped Amazon would have also got the rights.
    Free NowTV Cinema trial you say? 
    https://www.nowtv.com/watch/zack-snyders-justice-league-2021/A5EK6sKrAayd7FHrBWs2w
    If you have enough email addresses and credit cards, you could theoretically keep a NowTV trail going indefinitely! 
  • Options
    News of The World - Pretty decent film that has its moments. Worth a watch. 
    Watched this tonight. Great to see westerns still being made and this was great focusing on something slightly different from that era, rather than just bandits vs sheriff type script. 
  • Options
    Has anyone seen the Oscar-nominated film The Father starring Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Colman? I just watched it and absolutely loved it. The last film I can remember that I shed so many tears during and even after watching is Amour which is about a similar subject. 

***spoiler alert*** 
    I didn't know this film was about dementia. It's extremely sad and some parts are so heartbreaking to watch. I get teary eyed even just thinking about it right now... It's a very special film in terms of the angle dementia is being depicted. Really hope Anthony Hopkins receives the Best Actor award at the Oscars for his phenomenal performance in this film. Olivia Colman is great too. The soundtrack is also really impressive. Highly recommended. 10/10

I know you can't compare films of different genres but this one makes the one I watched last week (Justice League) feel like a complete waste of time..... 
  • Options
    Olivia Coleman is one of those actresses who can really raise the enjoyment of watching a film.

Bit like Tom Hanks, Matthew McConaughey, David Tennant, etc.
  • Options
    Finally got around to watching Parasite last night.
    Kind of ambles along nicely and then in the last 25 minutes goes bat shit crazy!
  • Options
    Watched News of the World last night. For a Paul Greengrass film starring Tom Hanks I thought it was really disappointing. 
  • Options
    Just watched Godzilla vs Kong. Sadly for a film about two 300ft monsters fighting each other it made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Lots of buildings getting knocked over though.
  • Options
    Just watched Godzilla vs Kong. Sadly for a film about two 300ft monsters fighting each other it made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Lots of buildings getting knocked over though.
    Clearly it's really hard to come up with storyline that gives you anyone to care about when it comes to these films. Kong: Skull Island did a pretty good job (Tom Hiddleston notwithstanding) and I thought Cloverfield found a good way of making the human story the most important part. The two Godzilla films were awful at that. In the first one, they drove nukes around that didn't affect the story at all in any meaningful way. And that last one was abysmal - a little girl effectively murdered millions cos she had mummy issues. But it's okay, cos her mum killed herself which was worthy redemption apparently! 

What did you watch it on? 

• Options
    Bad Trip (Netflix)

I saw this prank comedy movie the other day - I thought it was going to be really bad but I laughed out loud half a dozen times. So I can recommend it! A guy sees the love of his life and goes on a road trip to win her heart and drags his mate along. They nick his mate's sister's car, and she busts out of jail and wants her car back.

Stunts include a musical number in the middle of a mall (that really got me) and when the girl broke out of jail, some poor bloke cleaning the streets saw her climbing out from under the prison bus and helped her get out of there. The unwitting members of the public really do play a part in the plot which is quite an impressive feat. 

Towards the middle it gets a bit too gross-out for my liking, and the narrative is ver Borat-like, but I kinda prefer it to Borat in a way. It's less politically motivated, and in fact, the people they prank all seem to be really good natured people who are trying to help.  8/12. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Clearly it's really hard to come up with storyline that gives you anyone to care about when it comes to these films. Kong: Skull Island did a pretty good job (Tom Hiddleston notwithstanding) and I thought Cloverfield found a good way of making the human story the most important part. The two Godzilla films were awful at that. In the first one, they drove nukes around that didn't affect the story at all in any meaningful way. And that last one was abysmal - a little girl effectively murdered millions cos she had mummy issues. But it's okay, cos her mum killed herself which was worthy redemption apparently! 

If you've got a Firestick or Android set top box then I can give you a pointer to an off the shelf apk that will enable you to watch it.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    JiMMy 85 said:

Being stupid I rented it on Sky Movies. £16 and 2 hours I'll never get back 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Watched Moxie last night on Netflix. Amy Poehler directing. 'High school' cast that all look around 26 years old. Very average with some awful dialogue. 

Also watched The News of the World, the new Tom Hanks one. Entertaining enough, but predictable. 

In this new content-rich era, average seems to be an acceptable standard.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Watched Moxie last night on Netflix. Amy Poehler directing. 'High school' cast that all look around 26 years old. Very average with some awful dialogue. 

Also watched The News of the World, the new Tom Hanks one. Entertaining enough, but predictable. 

In this new content-rich era, average seems to be an acceptable standard.
    Saw it last week. I think it would have made a perfectly acceptable B-grade after school teenage TV special in the 1990s. Simplistic. Overly happy ending. Cardboard characters. Modest dialogue at best. 

I think TV in the age of binge watching has reached the point where every actor gets their 15-minutes as director. There is far more content than talent in the modern world of television.
  • Options
    Just finished uncut gems. Anxiety gone through the roof. 
  • Options
    Just finished uncut gems. Anxiety gone through the roof. 
    Yes if I was going to use one word to describe it I’d be stuck between “loud” or “shouty”, luckily the second word would be easier to find “shit”
  • Options
    Watched Godzilla vs Kong. You need to have seen the stand alones and remember the plot points for this to all tie in and make some sort of sense. Pretty true to material, you understand why he is King Kong for example (ruler of Hollow Earth) etc. I thought it packed enough punch, but will be baffling for casual cinema goers or non Godzilla/Kong fans. Hong Kong was left with a big rebuild cost... 
  • Options
    Watched Godzilla vs Kong. You need to have seen the stand alones and remember the plot points for this to all tie in and make some sort of sense. Pretty true to material, you understand why he is King Kong for example (ruler of Hollow Earth) etc. I thought it packed enough punch, but will be baffling for casual cinema goers or non Godzilla/Kong fans. Hong Kong was left with a big rebuild cost... 
    Meh Hong Kong probably gets off lightly compared to the shite that New York constantly goes through, there and Holby City appear the last places Id ever want to live
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not a recent film but Wild Bill is on Netflix at the moment. Directed by Dexter Fletcher, it’s got a Lock Stock vibe too it and was enjoyable. Some funny moments and didn’t ever feel bored watching.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    The Mauritanium on Prime. Unbelievable true story about disgraceful treatment at Guantanamo Bay.

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. America, hang your heads in shame. 
    Second this. Similarly to The Trial of The Chicago 7*, even allowing for some artistic licence, if only half of what is portrayed on screen actually happened then it is an appalling statement on the American justice system.

*also excellent and we'll worth a watch if you enjoyed The Mauritanium.
  • Options
    The Mauritanium on Prime. Unbelievable true story about disgraceful treatment at Guantanamo Bay.

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. America, hang your heads in shame. 
    Second this. Similarly to The Trial of The Chicago 7*, even allowing for some artistic licence, if only half of what is portrayed in screen actually happened then it is an appalling statement on the American justice system.

*also excellent and we'll worth a watch if you enjoyed The Mauritanium.
    Yep, I thought The Mauritanian was a powerful film, really worth staying with, the actual story revealed at the end was quite an indictment on the States and Obama. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Watched a couple of films over the weekend. 

Ex Machina - Really good sci fi that felt like a short story filled out into a feature film. 

Greenland - I enjoyed it for what it was, a B-Movie disaster flick. I normally avoid anything with Gerard Butler in but pleasantly surprised with this film. 
  • Options
    When they see us. Another powerful & thought provoking story.
  • Options
    Not a recent film but Wild Bill is on Netflix at the moment. Directed by Dexter Fletcher, it’s got a Lock Stock vibe too it and was enjoyable. Some funny moments and didn’t ever feel bored watching.
    Very good film 
  • Options
    Just watched Palm Springs on Amazon, has incredible reviews (95% on Rotten Tomatoes). Was really good, not as silly as you would expect an Andy Samberg film to be (and I loved the Lonely Island stuff) and not as soppy as a typical romcom, I can see why it’s so highly rated. 

• Options
    edited April 2021
    se9addick said:
    Just watched Palm Springs on Amazon, has incredible reviews (95% on Rotten Tomatoes). Was really good, not as silly as you would expect an Andy Samberg film to be (and I loved the Lonely Island stuff) and not as soppy as a typical romcom, I can see why it’s so highly rated. 

I did not expect to like this at all, it was my wife's choice, and she has often terrible taste in movies. It's very derivative of Groundhog Day of course but a pretty good stab at that genre and a very easy watch overall. 
  • Options
    Sound of Metal last night for us. Riz Ahmed is his usual excellent self and the dipping and out of audio effects so the viewer could get some experience of what the character was going through was very well handled.

Good film, enjoyed it but not exactly a feel good. 
  • Options
    A bit late to it, but watched Trial of the Chicago 7 last night. I was aware of them, but didn’t know all the ins and outs. Thought it was very well made how they revealed what happened bit by bit as the court case built. 

Mark Rylance was superb as usual, continuously excited to see what he makes going forward. Sacha Baron Cohen is an incredibly versatile actor, I’m not a fan of his Ali G, Bruno type stuff, but Chicago 7 and Hugo were brilliant performances.