Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Triangle of Sadness

Now I'm in the Industry but I thought ir was a bag of wank.   
  • Cheers @supaclive. I've got it on a list of films to look out for, but have no idea why, perhaps saw a trailer for it. On the basis of your detailed review I'll knock it down the list and wait for a freeview.
  • Tried to watch Everything Everywhere All At Once last week. Got through about 45 minutes maybe? It didn't hold my attention, got a phone call, paused it and never came back to it.

Reading opinions from a few pages back, I'm not sure I'm missing much...
    I didn't really get it either. Sat through the whole thing thinking "Rick & Morty does this much better". 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Tried to watch Everything Everywhere All At Once last week. Got through about 45 minutes maybe? It didn't hold my attention, got a phone call, paused it and never came back to it.

I didn't really get it either. Sat through the whole thing thinking "Rick & Morty does this much better". 
    Read the reviews and thought I was in for something special. Didn’t even finish it.
  • edited January 2023
    Babylon: Energetic, but over long, messy, and in places, poorly edited. Example: shots of newspaper front pages are too short, so you don’t have time to read the relevant headline (which isn’t always the banner headline). 
    The narrative is also confusing at times. Robbie is very good though, as is Pitt. 
    But I think overall it’s trying too hard to be ‘crazy’. 
    I enjoyed Avatar 2 which I thought had a better plot than the first movie. That’s probably because it’s based on a true story apparently. 
  • IdleHans said:
    It’s 30 years old now, so hardly a latest film, but watched Glengarry Glen Ross on Amazon Prime (included) last night. Really enjoyed it - fantastic cast of proper actors, great script adapted from a Pulitzer prize winning stage play. Very atmospheric with shades of 12 angry men, though set mostly in a sales office where the sales force are under pressure to close real estate sales or be fired.  Intense and claustrophobic with a rising sense of panic throughout. Great film.
    “You see this watch?” - what a fucking scene. 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    IdleHans said:
    It’s 30 years old now, so hardly a latest film, but watched Glengarry Glen Ross on Amazon Prime (included) last night. Really enjoyed it - fantastic cast of proper actors, great script adapted from a Pulitzer prize winning stage play. Very atmospheric with shades of 12 angry men, though set mostly in a sales office where the sales force are under pressure to close real estate sales or be fired.  Intense and claustrophobic with a rising sense of panic throughout. Great film.
    Put me in mind of Danny Murphy
  • "Coffee's for closers" is one of my quotes of choice (and less controversial than "I take it black, like my men) for the office. Sadly, hardly anyone knows what it's from.
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    IdleHans said:
    Have you seen the bit in 'Barry' where he performs a rendition of this scene as a friendly boss by mistake? 
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:
    IdleHans said:
    Have you seen the bit in 'Barry' where he performs a rendition of this scene as a friendly boss by mistake? 
    lol no but that sounds worth finding. 
  • Trip to Paradise is pretty dire, with two obnoxious Yanks dominating proceedings. 2/10 but hey, add an extra 4 points for the gorgeous Bali scenery: 6/10.
  • supaclive said:
    Triangle of Sadness

Mark Kermode must be in fear for his job
  • IdleHans said:
    supaclive said:
    Triangle of Sadness

Mark Kermode must be in fear for his job
    I wouldn't take the pay cut......
  • Anyone seen The Fabelmans?
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Tried to watch Everything Everywhere All At Once last week. Got through about 45 minutes maybe? It didn't hold my attention, got a phone call, paused it and never came back to it.

Tried watching this the other day... felt like it was really poorly done. I know the premise is everything, everywhere all at once, but come on at least let us understand a bit about what's going on. Half hour in I put family guy on instead. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Anyone seen The Fabelmans?
    Yes. Quite good. Worth watching but not a stand out particularly.

Held my interest throughout even though  of course you know the outcome is that he does get to be filmmaker!
  • JamesSeed said:
    Yes. I enjoyed it but it's being described at Spielberg's masterpiece which is absolute nonsense. 7 out of 10
  • finally got round to seeing "The Wonder" on Netflix. Despite the completely unnecessary bookends, I though it was a good tale, well told. Good stuff from the ensemble cast/ 7/10
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Yes. I enjoyed it but it's being described at Spielberg's masterpiece which is absolute nonsense. 7 out of 10
    I'm dying to see it as a filmmaking nerd, I am sure there are a few tips to be gained from it! 

Someone asked me the other day what Spielberg's last great film was. I honestly think it was probably Saving Private Ryan. I loved a few - Catch Me If You Can, Minority Report, Ready Player One - but SPR was the last bona fide classic. 
  • You People 

This needs to be broken down into 2 parts 

The first part, when Jonah Hill and Eddie Murphy and a more than able supporting cast are left to do funny shit it is excellent, a lot of genuine laughs from me, the dialogue was great and even in a tip-toey world it was funny..... BUT There was a dangerous hint of patronisation at play, it wasn't coming from the performers and I doubt it was coming from the director or scriptwriter more likely the producers. 

Then the second part, after what I'll call the breakdown, the jeopardy, the patronisation is ramped up to 11 and it ruined the film for me. The humour was totally gone, like completely and replaced with a narrative that was making my skin itch. I’ve heard people say this before but the people who made this film should trust an audience, the ending whilst not in anyway unusual as in it was a Hollywood ending might as well have been supplied with an old, guilty white closeted man who lives in an entirely white gated private estate to narrate it 

As I really did like and laugh at most of the film ill give it 7/10 but it feels like it was made in two parts by two different entities 
  • The Fabelmans - 6/10

Given that it won the Golden Globe for Best Film and is nominated for seven Oscars, I have to say that I found it a little disappointing. I thought the film picked up after a tepid start and, for me, the best bits were the scene in the bedroom of Sammy's girlfriend  (all very innocent) and the Jimmy Soul number, "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life", which played during Sammy's film of the end of term beach party (dodgy lyrics, though..). I remember it also being played in the final scene of 'Mermaids', with Cher dancing around the kitchen, making canapés with a very young Winona Ryder and Christina Ricci, who can't have been more than 9 at the time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EqFVWzOfN8
  • edited February 2023
    I am not one for crying whilst watching a movie whilst it is almost obligatory for my wife to do so. Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio caught me out. I wasn't expecting it and my guard was down and I was sobbing along with her at the end I am embarresed to say. An unexpectedly beautiful movie that is basically about death, love and fascism. Not for young kids but thought provoking and older kids and adults should really enjoy it.
  • edited February 2023
    Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - Infinitely better than the first one, which was massively overhyped and overrated.
  • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - Infinitely better than the first one, which was massively overhyped and overrated.
    Haven't watched the 2nd one yet but absolutely spot on about the first one.
  • I am not one for crying whilst watching a movie whilst it is almost obligatory for my wife to do so. Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio caught me out. I wasn't expecting it and my guard was down and I was sobbing along with her at the end I am embarresed to say. An unexpectedly beautiful movie that is basically about death, love and fascism. Not for young kids but thought provoking and older kids and adults should really enjoy it.
    Never be embarrassed to say you cried at a movie.  It means it did it's job.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Last night, Michelle Williams was the standout for me.
    Not as good as I thought it would be, be well worth a watch 
  • I saw Tar at the weekend and agree with the previous poster. 3 stars (out of 5) for me. Cate Blanchett was very good, but the film could have been at least 45 minutes shorter! A younger couple that we went with were completely mystified. I really enjoyed my large glass of Malbec though.
  • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - Infinitely better than the first one, which was massively overhyped and overrated.
    I just couldn't get over how silly that guy's flying feet were.