Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bill McLaren

RIP

Comments

• Legend. Up there with Blowers, Aggers, Johnners, Sid Waddell and Stuart Hall as one of the most recognisable commentators ever.
  • RIP - one of the great commentators.
  • Wonderful commentator, one of the last of the Golden Age of learned commentators who did not need an "Expert" alongside them to give the game "colour" - he did it all by himself with his wonderfully descriptive language.
  • Possibly the end of an era of wonderful commentators .......I agree with the list of names above, to which you have to add Peter Jones and Richi Benaud.
  • I think I stopped liking Rugby when he retired, I think he was 80 when he finished. I'm sure he didn't like the way Rugby has gone over the last 15 years or so.
    He's certainly up there with:
    Benaud (STILL going on C9 in Aus!)
    Ted Lowe
    Peter Jones
    Brian Butler
    Barry Davies
    CMJ
    Peter Allis
    Dan Maskel
    Peter O'Sullevan
    Harry Carpenter
    David Coleman
    Sid Waddell
    Brian Moore
    Dorien Williams
    Alec Weekes
  • Very sad loss, I can still hear that guy 'and here comes Guscott, inside the Shcotland twenteetoo'

Rest in peace Bill McLaren, THE voice of rugby
  • Absolute legend.

Ormiston is quite right with his comments - the truly great commentators are sufficiently knowledgable not to need an "expert" sitting alongside them. These experts are usually ex players who are so afraid of upsetting their old mates in the dressing room that they have nothing objective to say and come out with the most bland drivel imagineable.

I'd say on the TV only Richie Benaud, Peter Alliss and Ken Brown of the old school still going, and on radio most of the TMS crew fit that description. Jimmy Armfield is still a good judge of a football match as well.

RIP Bill - sadly missed.
  • Invokes memories of watching the "five nations" on the bbc as a nipper......wonderful character, can hear him now ! RIP