Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holocaust Memorial Day – 27th January

Holocaust Memorial Day is commemorated internationally on 27th January each year. This date was chosen as it is the anniversary of the day in 1945 on which the Soviet Army liberated the largest Nazi concentration camp – Auschwitz-Birkenau.

Never Forget, Never Again.

Comments

• Im sorry henry but i have never been well informed of what actually happened in the holocaust, could you maybe put a link so i am more aware of it or if could let me know what it is about etc would be much appreciated
  • http://www.hmd.org.uk/genocides/the-holocaust/

For info on the holocaust and other genocides in Cambodia, Bosnia, Rwanda and elsewhere.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]http://www.hmd.org.uk/genocides/the-holocaust/

For info on the holocaust and other genocides in Cambodia, Bosnia, Rwanda and elsewhere.

Many Thanks mate, it saves me being ignorant and ignoring the whole thing. so would rather have a bit of knowledge about it

:-)
  • And get hold of this while your at it.
    Schindlers list
  • How utterly refreshing. A football site reminds us all of an important day and a young man says I don't know enough and I want to learn. That's rescued my week.
  • With the amount of evidence available, both personal recounting (from both sides) and official nazis documentation, are there really people who deny that this ever happened?
  • [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]With the amount of evidence available, both personal recounting (from both sides) and official nazis documentation, are there really people who deny that this ever happened?

Get yourself on one of the spanner forums.Probably plenty on there.
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]With the amount of evidence available, both personal recounting (from both sides) and official nazis documentation, are there really people who deny that this ever happened?

Get yourself on one of the spanner forums.Probably plenty on there.

Yeah I saw that, it made me feel physically sick. I was going to mention it later as a, "this is how thick/evil you have to be" if any of our lot come up with denial bollox.
  • [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]How utterly refreshing. A football site reminds us all of an important day and a young man says I don't know enough and I want to learn. That's rescued my week.

Lol glad to help, so far i have had a quick browse but as i am at work do not want to be caught on the site. i will come back later with what i have learnt ;-)
  • Excellent thread and I can't stress how important it is to remember. Perhaps if some people in our society knew more about the Nazi Holocaust it would change their attitudes. Yad Vashem is an excellent memorial site all year around and not just for today, especially for people looking to learn more. I'd also recommend the Imperial War Museum's Holocaust exhibition which is fantastic - plus it's free so no excuses!
  • Sponsored links:

• A few years back a group of friends and i were on holiday in Prague and from there we decided to take in some history and boarded a train into Poland from where we visited Auschwitz/ Birkenhau. Well what an awful place , if any person can visit there and come out without being in tears then they are very strong.
    I could not believe how big the place was Birkenhau was gigantic and it really makes you realise that a previous generation went through hell .
    And as the author here says..Never Forget..Never Again.
  • Visited Auschwitz also and as Colin says it would be a very callous person not to feel very moved by the place. It is interesting that in Poland it is compulsory for older schoolchildren to visit. Would not be a bad thing if our schools also tried to get visits arranged instead of the canoe trips and visits to ancient monuments that appear the norm.
  • Right bit of an update, i have read the site Sir Henry has given me :-) i have found it very shocking and have learnt quite a bit as before all i could probably say is something to do with the nazi's, not because i am ignorant just i have never really been told or looked into till today.

I have also looked at a brief summary which i also found very useful, and wikipedia has alot which i will try have a look at some stage today Wikipedia linky this also says that between 11Million & 17Million were estimated to have died due to this racial prejudice

thanks everyone for enlightenning me on it all
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Visited Auschwitz also and as Colin says it would be a very callous person not to feel very moved by the place. It is interesting that in Poland it is compulsory for older schoolchildren to visit. Would not be a bad thing if our schools also tried to get visits arranged instead of the canoe trips and visits to ancient monuments that appear the norm.

Totally agree with this and I think it should at least be compulsory learning at all levels of education in the UK.
  • I know that my son covered the holocaust as part of World War II in Primary school.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I know that my son covered the holocaust as part of World War II in Primary school.

I'm 23 next month and I remember covering it at primary school and studied many aspects of it extensively at degree level, but having worked in some primary schools over the last few years and seen the curriculum for others I find it disappointing how many schools don't do enough to educate their pupils about it. Once again, brilliant thread.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Visited Auschwitz also and as Colin says it would be a very callous person not to feel very moved by the place. It is interesting that in Poland it is compulsory for older schoolchildren to visit. Would not be a bad thing if our schools also tried to get visits arranged instead of the canoe trips and visits to ancient monuments that appear the norm.

My son went to Auschwitz last year as WW II is part of the GCE history course.
    Loved Poland and the people. Didnt say much at all about the camps. Which, if you know him, says a lot really in my opinion.
  • I may be wrong on this point but i believe the B.N.P tried to deny the Holocaust but have since reversed their denial.
  • Was talking to a gent at work about this 2 day Henry he tellsme his daughter went on an organised trip last year to Auchvititz. Within London a Jewish organisation pays for a number of kids to go over. Not just Jewish kids as he is RC.
  • [cite]Posted By: Colin in Thailand.[/cite]I may be wrong on this point but i believe the B.N.P tried to deny the Holocaust but have since reversed their denial.

The only reason those idiots "reversed" there decision is because some people in this country thought it would be a good idea to vote BNP and hand them seats in the European Parliament, where it is illegal to deny the Holocaust.
  • Sponsored links:

• have been to Auschwitz and birkenau on two occasions, the second time around there was snow at least a foot thick yet this along with the cold weather only enhanced the feeling you got when you consider people lived in those little huts in the exact same conditions.

Anyone who tried to deny it is absolute scum; BNP, NF or any moderate sceptics.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Holocaust Memorial Day is commemorated internationally on 27th January each year. This date was chosen as it is the anniversary of the day in 1945 on which the Soviet Army liberated the largest Nazi concentration camp – Auschwitz-Birkenau.

Never Forget, Never Again.

No offence to all those lost.... but it is the last thing on my mind so i did forget.

8 years ago today my mum died, that plagues my mind over anything else on this day every year.