Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

J D Salinger RIP

never got ''catcher in the rye'' or related to the character but inspired one of my favored all time writers WP Kinsella.

Comments

• Options
    We did this book for English Lit.with the school headmaster and i hated the book.

But RIP anyway.
  • Options
    The Catcher in the Rye - favorite book of Garth Crooks, believe it or not!!!

I remember that from an interview he gave while playing for us, I always meant to read it myself after that but never got around to it.
  • Options
    “Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.”

“Yes, sir. I know it is. I know it.” Game, my ass. Some game. If you get on the side where all the hot-shots are, then it’s a game, all right—I’ll admit that. But if you get on the other side, where there aren’t any hot-shots, then what’s a game about it? Nothing. No game.

RIP
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]The Catcher in the Rye - favorite book of Garth Crooks, believe it or not!!!
    I do not.
  • Options
    Wonderful book, I can remember when I first read it as a teenager, loved it then and loved it when reread in my 30s and, no doubt, I will when I read it again this year :-)

Also I think it is great they way he eschewed fame and all that crap and just got with his life.

RIP.
  • Options
    The sale and library use of "Catcher" is said to be monitored by US intelligence, due to the fact that so many assasins are found to have a copy.
  • Options
    I'll have to go back and read JD Salinger's ouvre. Catcher in the Rye isn't a healthy mindset, but unbelievably powerful to young males. Holden Caulfield syndrome, something most males go through

Lol at the US Intelligence monitoring the movements of millions of copies of 'The Cather in the Rye'. They can't even track half a million possible terror suspects. I suppose Chapman was an FBI agent!
  • Options
    Fantastic book. I read it in my mid-teens and I'll definitely have to re-read it at some point

"The thing is, it's really hard to be roommates with people if your suitcases are much better than theirs - if yours are really good ones and theirs aren't. You think if they're intelligent and all, the other person, and have a good sense of humor, that they don't give a damn whose suitcases are better, but they do. They really do. It's one of the reasons why I roomed with a stupid bastard like Stradlater. At least his suitcases were as good as mine."

RIP
  • Options
    I read Catcher for the first time about a week ago. I spent the whole book waiting for something to happen. Guess I kind of missed the point. Think I'll stick to my detective books!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]I read Catcher for the first time about a week ago. I spent the whole book waiting for something to happen. Guess I kind of missed the point. Think I'll stick to my detective books!

I love the fact that nothing ever really happens.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I loved it when I read it first as a teenager. Probably the first book and one of very few I could say I genuinely loved every page of.

Read it again about a year ago and just didn't get anything from it.

It might be something that's great for a particular mindset or if you can get in the mindset, but not so great if you're older than about 16.

Or else it's me. I get bored if/when I watch my favourite movie again (I've watched it through twice, and fell asleep/turned it off any other times) and I can't physically read my favourite book again (tried twice and couldn't get past about page 5 or 6), even though I don't really remember what happened in it. Maybe it is me.