Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ski Wear? what you all reckon

Im going away ski-ing in march for the 1st time! i got stitched up so have brought the brightest Ski Jacket as was told beginners have to wear bright colours....i know only me lol

Anyways i thought i would maybe get some tips from you Lifers, Im thinking of going for looking like a tit and bit of a laugh really so i have the jacket which hopefully appears, what you reckon of the trousers & hat to go with, remember this is only a laugh so any other suggestions let us know

also any tips will be handy as im the sort of person who will come back with broken bones

Comments

• Options
    My god thats amazing! The fact they have another one on the rack is even better. I hope you get lots of wear out of it out and about when you get home.

My tip is to get some of theat neon faceblock for your nose.
  • Options
    Yeah i am thinking of wearing it on a night out :o)

I love it, i dont care if it stands out and will make me look silly! as long as i like it

May have to have a look at the neon faceblock
  • Options
    All you really need is a good pair of salopettes, thermals and a roll neck vest.

Oh, obviously hat & gloves too !
  • Options
    Don't spare any expense on goggles and gloves. Go to the Oakley store in Bloowater. There's nothing worse than not being able to see where your going and your hands are cold and wet. A good shop to go to for clothing is the Capt's Cabin in Sevenoaks
  • Options
    "Shoulders to the walley....shoulders to the walley"...(he meant valley), as one of my Austrian instructors used to say.
    Sking is the 'best' holiday you'll ever have....hope you're going for two weeks(or more) because when you're learning a week is not enough, simply because you just start to pick things up and get more confident and then find yourself frustratingly on the flight home.
    Besides, two days are spent travelling, so you only get 5 days on the pieste.
    Another tip....if you have any ski boots put them on for a few hours at home and clomp around in them....it's a strange feeling and wearing them will be one less strange sensation that you have to think about once you're there.....and lord knows there are some to take on board.
    Once all the bits and pieces start to come together and you can get off on your own there's no thrill like it....because of my heart condition I haven't been for some years....I miss it more than I can say!
  • Options
    That looks totally amazing! Yeah the brighter the better! I wore all black last time I went and people lost me a few times. You should be easy to spot!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]Don't spare any expense on goggles and gloves. Go to the Oakley store in Bloowater. There's nothing worse than not being able to see where your going and your hands are cold and wet. A good shop to go to for clothing is the Capt's Cabin in Sevenoaks

I may just do that mate, im in bluewater today so maybe worth a look. although got a few mates that are older who been plenty of times so may borrow googles & gloves from them, as it does all start to add up

[cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]"Shoulders to the walley....shoulders to the walley"...(he meant valley), as one of my Austrian instructors used to say.
    Sking is the 'best' holiday you'll ever have....hope you're going for two weeks(or more) because when you're learning a week is not enough, simply because you just start to pick things up and get more confident and then find yourself frustratingly on the flight home.
    Besides, two days are spent travelling, so you only get 5 days on the pieste.
    Another tip....if you have any ski boots put them on for a few hours at home and clomp around in them....it's a strange feeling and wearing them will be one less strange sensation that you have to think about once you're there.....and lord knows there are some to take on board.
    Once all the bits and pieces start to come together and you can get off on your own there's no thrill like it....because of my heart condition I haven't been for some years....I miss it more than I can say!

Going for a week away, only in austria so shouldn't be too much travelling but im guessing i probably will wish when im going back that i had booked longer. we are staying at someones friends so have only had to pay for flights and obviously the gear and ski pass & lessons when over there, i will let you know how it goes as i have had some brilliant holidays so its got alot to live up to toe be the best :o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Northern_Monkey[/cite]That looks totally amazing! Yeah the brighter the better! I wore all black last time I went and people lost me a few times. You should be easy to spot!

Thanks mate, thats what im going for lol not one to worry about standing out!

Think this maybe my first post no-one has taken the mick and got serious answer, is everyone feeling all right??? lol
  • Options
    Think this maybe my first post no-one has taken the mick and got serious answer, is everyone feeling all right??? lol

I am working on it Johnny, give me time ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]

I am working on it Johnny, give me time ;-)

This could take a while.........suprised oggy the local comedian hasn't popped by yet :0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    North Face and Oakley gear ... all you need to be warm, stylish and dry
  • Options
    This could end in tears JohnnyB.

P.S. could you ask them if they do them colours in golf gear ; )
  • Options
    1. You'll need good sunglasses aswell as a mask (goggles). Sunglasses for good conditions & a mask for bad. If you wear glasses then I strongly recommend changing them for contact lenses.

2. Gloves, and hat with ear cover. And good ski socks

3. Suncream (for face & lips)

4. Golfy is a bit behind the times suggesting salopettes. It's hard to get all-in-ones these days. Your jacket and a proper pair of (bright yellow!) ski trousers will do fine. He's right about the thermal vest idea though.

5. Is there a zip up pocket on that jacket? If not, make sure there's one on the trousers otherwise you'll be worrying about your keys or whatever falling out.

6. If you intend to picnic on the slopes then you'll need a handy small backpack.

7. Skiing can vary a lot on the weather of course. I find it best to go a bit over the top on layers of clothing and then if necessary take off a layer or two and put them around my waist.

8. Make sure you know your weight in kg if you're going skiing in Europe.

9. Re: ski insurance. Most places can add this on to the price of the ski-pass

Where are you going by the way?
  • Options
    Thanks jimmy for all your advice, i dont know to be exact will find out for you all i know is it is Austria. haven't been told about ski insurance so definately need to be getting that!
  • Options
    Only worry about your spending money, food and drink are soooo expensive.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Northern_Monkey[/cite]That looks totally amazing! Yeah the brighter the better! I wore all black last time I went and people lost me a few times. You should be easy to spot!

Having never been skiing, but assuming wherever you go is covered in snow, how can wearing black make you hard to spot?!
  • Options
    I reckon you'll be the only one in that jacket. But how funny would it be if you walk out on your first day and and someone had bought the other one in that shop. My first time skiing was in France Le' Arcs i think. I wore shorts, it got a bit cold at times but it got some strange looks (just like your jacket will) which was the intention
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

Having never been skiing, but assuming wherever you go is covered in snow, how can wearing black make you hard to spot?!

Because boulders, trees, bushes and other stuff are pretty drab/dark coloured as well I guess especially in overcast conditions.
  • Options
    Going on sunday cannot wait! thinking more of a piss up though as had a few lessons and not the greatest, one more 2 hour course on thursday(group) then im off, im definately going to break something lol can snowplow and go straight down at the mo, turn a little so should be fun :o)

Anyways update on ski-wear i have bought bright yellow trousers to go with my funky coat, can always post pictures when back