Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leeds last night

Interesting Leeds tactics when they went behind both times last night. They pushed up so when attacking the last third, every Leeds outfield player was in the Spurs half. Thus when a blue shirt cleared the ball, white defenders put it straight back in the mix (it’s easier for a defender to attack a ball coming towards him than for a forward having it go over his head). When Spurs broke forward, even approaching the centre circle, the Leeds defenders were still up on the edge of the circle in their half and dropped back gradually.

Contrast that with our defence; when attacking several of them are lingering in our half and any clearance inevitably falls into space to be picked up by the opposition, whereby they retreat back to the 18 yard box and any pub player could dance through the gaps left in our midfield. It’s not rocket science Parky!

Beckford looked like he could play against Prem opposition every week, Snodgrass looked good if a little slow and only Beccio stood out otherwise.

Comments

• Options
    Last night was a cup replay. Tactics appeared as tho they went compeletely out the window. Cant see Leeds would play in that way against league opposition.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Contrast that with our defence; when attacking several of them are lingering in our half and any clearance inevitably falls into space to be picked up by the opposition, whereby they retreat back to the 18 yard box and any pub player could dance through the gaps left in our midfield. It’s not rocket science Parky!
    East peasy this management lark eh?

Looks like there is a set method for success - why doesnt every manager employ it?

Jesus.
  • Options
    Also although i only watched bits as was in a pub, they lost so how is this the right tactic?
  • Options
    Cup matches when you're losing with 10 minutes left - are always throw caution to the winds, do or die!

If Leeds defence held their line on the halfway line, they would be wide open to the ball over the top and a pacy forward streaking after it 1 on 1.
  • Options
    Slightly off topic, but has Defoe ever scored from outside the area?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Slightly off topic, but has Defoe ever scored from outside the area?

He's no Darren Bent, lol

I don't suppose it's really his problem, if he can score so freely in the box.
    He's just the sort of player up front we're missing at the moment perhaps - you know, fox in the box, johnny on the spot?

D'you reckon we'll sign him back on a free transfer when he's 36?
  • Options
    I backed Defoe first goal and the Yids 2-1 last night @ 22/1...........then that little fu*ker went and got the 3rd in the last minute. Cost me over a ton

not happy and now hate him even more

(great player though)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Slightly off topic, but has Defoe ever scored from outside the area?

I remember a couple of goals outside the box, not screamers but for that i say yes! used to say the same about rudd van as never liked him but still what a top goalscorer he is/was. a goals a goal at the end of day whether tap in from 2yds or screamer from 45 they still count the same so i dont think they care too much
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Cup matches when you're losing with 10 minutes left - are always throw caution to the winds, do or die!.

Like we did when we found ourselves in this position in all 3 cups this season and plenty of times in the league ?

Leeds showed last night why they have staying power in the league and we don't - commitment, teamwork and no little skill.
  • Options
    I'm not criticising Defoe's footballing ability, but I do think he has a weak shot, which is why his first went in instead of flying over the bar and why he decided to go round the 'keeper for his third instead of trying a chip.
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Contrast that with our defence; when attacking several of them are lingering in our half and any clearance inevitably falls into space to be picked up by the opposition, whereby they retreat back to the 18 yard box and any pub player could dance through the gaps left in our midfield. It’s not rocket science Parky!
    East peasy this management lark eh?
    Too tight it is, I recently won the Europa League with Leeds on football manager 2009. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Cup matches when you're losing with 10 minutes left - are always throw caution to the winds, do or die!.

Like we did when we found ourselves in this position in all 3 cups this season and plenty of times in the league ?

Leeds showed last night why they have staying power in the league and we don't - commitment, teamwork and no little skill.

I was trying to say that there's no risk involved chasing a cup tie with 10 minutes left - you've got to throw everything at it or your dead anyway. That's the magic of the Cup.

League matches are normally approached much differently, more structured - yes, even more cautiously.

Anyway, Leeds weren't playing Wycombe, Exeter or Swindon.
    They were at home to Spurs in front of a big crowd urging their team on.

When was the last time we did that big time at The Valley, when we were losing?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ....and of course it is all the Charlton fans fault for offering an opinion (aka booing)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I'm not criticising Defoe's footballing ability, but I do think he has a weak shot, which is why his first went in instead of flying over the bar and why he decided to go round the 'keeper for his third instead of trying a chip.

Not sure about that, I've always thought he was a very clean striker of the ball. Definitely remember him belting a few of the 5 goals against Wigan
  • Options
    I was trying to say that there's no risk involved chasing a cup tie with 10 minutes left - you've got to throw everything at it or your dead anyway. That's the magic of the Cup.

League matches are normally approached much differently, more structured - yes, even more cautiously.quote]

There is nothing cautious about backpedalling to the 18 yard line as soon as we loose the ball. It's the reason why our quality midfield are unable to dominate game, we'd need six or seven in midfield to plug the gaps.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I'm not criticising Defoe's footballing ability, but I do think he has a weak shot, which is why his first went in instead of flying over the bar and why he decided to go round the 'keeper for his third instead of trying a chip.

Not sure about that, I've always thought he was a very clean striker of the ball. Definitely remember him belting a few of the 5 goals against Wigan

Agree with Sussex, i think Defoe is a quality striker of the ball, especially in relation to his size...almost perfect technique.

Watching him last night i realised how good a player he is. His movement off the ball is different class.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Interesting Leeds tactics when they went behind both times last night. They pushed up so when attacking the last third, every Leeds outfield player was in the Spurs half. Thus when a blue shirt cleared the ball, white defenders put it straight back in the mix (it’s easier for a defender to attack a ball coming towards him than for a forward having it go over his head). When Spurs broke forward, even approaching the centre circle, the Leeds defenders were still up on the edge of the circle in their half and dropped back gradually.

Contrast that with our defence; when attacking several of them are lingering in our half and any clearance inevitably falls into space to be picked up by the opposition, whereby they retreat back to the 18 yard box and any pub player could dance through the gaps left in our midfield. It’s not rocket science Parky!

Beckford looked like he could play against Prem opposition every week, Snodgrass looked good if a little slow and only Beccio stood out otherwise.[/quote]

Did u see Spurs 3rd goal? Obviously late in the game/they were throwing everything forward so not quite the same but that's the risk with playing defenders high up the park if ur playing against pacy attackers. Don't think it'd work as for us with the likes of Dailly and Llera. Playing deep at least gives other players the chance to get back before the opposition have created a clear-cut chance.

[quote][cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Slightly off topic, but has Defoe ever scored from outside the area?[/quote]

How about their second when they sent us down?!
  • Options

By area do you mean London, I heard he pulled a bird in Manchester once ;-)
  • Options
    Getting back to discussing Leeds I though they looked poor, I only watched the 2nd half but it took Leeds ages to get the ball out of their half as Spurs were all over them in the first period of the 2nd half.

When they did finally manage to win the ball it was the big hoof up to Beckford!

They did play a little more through the middle and down the flanks as the half went on but it looked like a Prem team v a League 1 team to me, they were nothing out the ordinary.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]Leeds showed last night why they have staying power in the league

And you want us to copy them? I'd prefer to go up first time of asking. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I know my opinions are about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit on here, but;
    I think Defoe is is the second best English striker in England (only just behind Rooney)
    He gave young Mr Beckford a master class in the art last night, and Leeds were lucky to lose only 3 . 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes, on a few occasions that I can remember. Hull away this season for a start, the goal to get his hat-trick was an absolute belter. Having just watched this, I counted at least 6 goals from outside the box... I never realised he'd scored as many as that to be honest.
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I'm not criticising Defoe's footballing ability, but I do think he has a weak shot...

Really? Jeez lol, if you think he's got a weak shot, I'd hate to see someone with a strong shot on them. Some of his goals for Spurs have been absolute belters.

I've never been a huge fan of Defoe but he has been very good this year and his partnership with three metre Peter is beginning to blossom now. I must say that I was impressed with Leeds over the two games but I think they rode their luck to a certain extent. When do they come to the Valley? Am I right in saying you got a 0-0 up at Elland Road?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Leeds is our last home game, May 1st. To be honest i'd expect them to already be promoted by then.
    And yes we got a 0-0 up there.