Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Avram Grant - Right to Privacy?

Anyone else feel that Avram Grant is the victim of a gross invasion of his privacy with Fleet Street's finest spending thousands to reveal that he enjoyed a "rub 'n tug" at a massage parlour?

The way I see it, Avram Grant is one of the lowest profile people in football, all he does is go out and coach his team, do the post-match media and that's it - you never hear or see him outside of that.

He doesn't do ads, voice-overs, puff pieces in the press - nothing - he is just a middle of the road bloke who happens to be a football coach rather than, say, a bank manager or an insurance firm boss.

How on earth can it be in the public interest for this story to be published? Is Avran Grant really a public figure because he coaches a football team? I don't think so.

The only way that you could justify printing a story about his private life would be if it was in conflict with his footballing responsibilities (as in the John Terry case) and there is no way that that applies here.

No, I think this is way, way out of line, people are entitled for their private lives to be respected if they lead the sort of 'public' life that Avram Grant or, say, Paul Scholes or Stuart Pearce do in that they have a public job but do not seek to trade on their name and reputation off the pitch - a la Beckham and Tiger Woods.

Comments

• Options
    John Terry - right to privacy?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    He said Avram Grant, not John "Daddies' Sauce Dad of the Year" Terry.

Grant's not set himself up to be a family man and generally keeps himself to himself, so this does feel a little OTT. However, if he has visited a brothel, it's against the law (brothels remain illegal under the Sexual Offences Act 2003) and if the women in there are there against their will, then that's a far bigger black mark. If the place was raided and Grant was caught, and hauled up in court, it'd be exposed anyway.
  • Options
    Not the same, there is an argument that Terry's behaviour jeopardises the harmony of the England squad and thereby their chances in the World Cup.

In addition, Terry and his advisers are extremely aggressive in hawking his "brand" to the corporate world as a "brand ambassador" and portraying him as a "family man".

Indeed, only last month Terry was giving paid interviews in Hello telling everyone about his wonderful home life!!!

All Avram ever does is take training, explain away the latest loss at the weekend to the press and then he leaves the word alone - big, big difference.
  • Options
    Grant was involved at Chelsea and knew Terry.

The thought occurs that Terry's hangers on tipped the press off to try and deflect attention from their man.

Speculation on my part obviously.
  • Options
    Rub n Tug...

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]He said Avram Grant, not John "Daddies' Sauce Dad of the Year" Terry.

Grant's not set himself up to be a family man and generally keeps himself to himself, so this does feel a little OTT. However, if he has visited a brothel, it's against the law (brothels remain illegal under the Sexual Offences Act 2003) and if the women in there are there against their will, then that's another black mark. If the place was raided and Grant was caught, and hauled up in court, it'd be exposed anyway.

True, Inspector, they are illegal, but then again so is cannabis and under-18's drinking in boozers and they are both rampant!!!

For the record, I have never visited such an establishment, but if that's the worst thing a bloke ever does in his life then he won't have led too bad of a life.

Of course, some brothels do employ women in terrible conditions and under dubious circumstances - and they should be shut down, but its the oldest business in the world and ain't ever going to go away.
  • Options
    supportive good humoured wife
    Massage parlour which has a good chance of being exactly what it says on the door
    Totally and utterly different to Terry
    Nonsense journalism at its scummiest.
  • Options
    It's a strictly legal rather than moral standpoint here - I'd legalise prostitution tomorrow. But as it stands, Grant could be charged with a criminal offence, and that's a story.

If Grant had visited somewhere where only a single woman worked, he wouldn't have broken the law. I imagine he wouldn't have been running into a Sun hack, either.
  • Options
    I am curious, however, as to what an "Australian massage" is. Does the masseuse complain about how shit Britain is, moan about the lack of Vegemite, then charge over the odds for a limp service?
  • Options
    To be honest it's a non story really. They obviously wanted it to become a big scandal but as soon as his wife said she was in favour of it, it become a non story.

"AVRAM Grant's wife last night vowed to stand by her husband despite his visit to a vice den - saying: "He deserves a massage."
    Eccentric Israeli actress Tzofit Grant, who once drank her own urine on live TV, said she encouraged him to have rub-downs to relieve stress.
    She added: "He works so hard, I think he deserves a massage once a day, and from two women, not one."
    Mum-of-two Tzofit, 46, who has been wed to Grant for 16 years, claimed the place where he was snapped was not a brothel. Speaking from her home in a plush district of Tel Aviv yesterday, she said: "It's not a brothel but a massage parlour.

"Considering the pressure that Avram is under at Portsmouth, I'm angry with him for not going every day for a massage. Avram loves a massage.
    "He enjoys an Australian massage, a Japanese massage and a Thai massage. I'm looking forward to coming to England to visit and having a massage there with him".
    She added: "So far as I am concerned he can go and have a massage whenever he wants. It's his business what he does with his body, and he certainly has not damaged our marriage.He doesn't have to tell me everything. He doesn't tell me he went to the store to buy milk. I told Avram immediately after he told me about it that you don't have to account to anybody about what you do with your body.

"Who goes to a brothel in the middle of the day wearing Portsmouth kit when he knows he is a recognisable personality?
    "We are talking about a massage parlour where they give massages." Tzofit added that she could not understand "what all the fuss is about in Britain" because her husband is not a publicly elected figure.

She added: "I don't know why what he did is being compared to what John Terry did. "There is no comparison, although John Terry's private life is also not the business of the media. "We should also make a distinction between a famous person and an elected person."He doesn't owe anybody explanations about what he does. "A man goes in the middle of the day for a massage and suddenly they make it into a brothel. It makes me laugh."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No it's not the same. Brothel's are illegal. Having sex with Vanessa Perroncel isn't.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]No it's not the same. Brothel's are illegal. Having sex with Vanessa Perroncel isn't.

Avram Grant got a massage in a Massage Parlour - that is not illegal, its only illegal if you ask for and receive extras - and there is no suggestion that he did.

If you can't see the oceanic scales of difference between John Terry and Avram Grant then you are seeing things from a unique perspective.
  • Options
    What Orms said
    Only the press are calling it a vice den
  • Options
    hopefully the wifes response will ensure that everyone loses interest in this very quickly.

the tabloids and idiots like max clifford really need to grow up.
  • Options
    As long as stories like the recent ones about Terry and Avram Grant sell papers, tabloid journalists are going to carry on writing them.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]As long as stories like the recent ones about Terry and Avram Grant sell papers, tabloid journalists are going to carry on writing them.

So why didn't you make more of the alleged altercation between Moutouakil and Arter?
    Or Darren Ambrose?

you missed an opportunity there - you could be writing for the Daily Star if you'd had a spot more foresight :-)
  • Options
    ....because News Shopper is generally given away for free?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It is absolutely within the public interest. A good proportion of the public love to read this kind of story. The best selling papers are the kind that pedal this stuff, so it's indisputable. Blame the people that buy the rags rather than journos that write them.
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom/cite]
    So why didn't you make more of the alleged altercation between Moutouakil and Arter?
    Or Darren Ambrose?

Because a training ground sliding tackle from behind by one Championship reserve on another doesn't capture the interest as much as a Premiership manager sliding his tackle the behind of a ho. (ho).

And the Dambrose "stuff" probably doesn't get reported because it's not true.
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]I am curious, however, as to what an"Australian massage"is. Does the masseuse complain about how shit Britain is, moan about the lack of Vegemite, then charge over the odds for a limp service?

:-)

I'd imagine so, and it's probably accompanied by vile pissy lager.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]It is absolutely within the public interest. A good proportion of the public love to read this kind of story. The best selling papers are the kind that pedal this stuff, so it's indisputable. Blame the people that buy the rags rather than journos that write them.
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom/cite]
    Or Darren Ambrose?
    [/cite]
    [cite]

Because a training ground sliding tackle from behind by one Championship reserve on another doesn't capture the interest as much as a Premiership manager sliding his tackle the behind of a ho. (ho).

And the Dambrose "stuff" probably doesn't get reported because it's not true.
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]I am curious, however, as to what an"Australian massage"is. Does the masseuse complain about how shit Britain is, moan about the lack of Vegemite, then charge over the odds for a limp service?

:-)

I'd imagine so, and it's probably accompanied by vile pissy lager.[/cite]

The legal definition of "public interest" does not refer to that which the public may be interested but rather to an issue whose publication would benefit the public at large.

Otherwise God knows what they'd be printing!
  • Options
    Why's it not called public benefit then?

Given that definition I'd have to question whether most content in most publications is of any benefit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]

Given that definition I'd have to question whether most content in most publications is of any benefit.

Exactly
  • Options
    The difference is that Avram Grant committed a possible crime, and criminals should be named and shamed, while John Terry has fallen foul only of being this week's Fleet St boo boy.
  • Options
    However Aram Grant visiting a brothel isn't going to shift that many copies of the Sun.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]However Aram Grant visiting a brothel isn't going to shift that many copies of the Sun.
    Didnt stop them plastering over their front page today though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]However Aram Grant visiting a brothel isn't going to shift that many copies of the Sun.
    Didnt stop them plastering over their front page today though.

But forgotten tomorrow.
  • Options
    Since when has a massage been illegal.
    Have they got photos of a sex act being performed ?
  • Options
    My life...anyone would think we are a nation of saints. Im sure a large majority of the public so quick to jump on stories like this and the terry thing have probably been to a stirp club, or done a brass, or shagged someone they shouldnt have etc but suddenly when this happens the UK Citizenship magically evolves into holier than thou beings that would make the Amish community in Pennsylvania look like hell raisers.

Who really cares if an old, ugly man whos probably bored and lonely in a strange town pays to get his rocks off.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]The difference is that Avram Grant committed a possible crime

It would appear not.
  • Options
    even if sex was on offer at this massage parlour if requested it is entirely plausible that Grant only visited for a massage. His wife seems a sensible sort, I wonder if she condones three in a bed romps too ??
  • Options
    Just because he is manager of a premiership football team does not mean he is not entitled to the same rights as me. If a newspaper published a photo of me leaving a pub, a massage parlour or a football match, and identified who I was, it would be gross infringement of my basic human rights!