Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Moving in next week - Question

edited February 2010 in Not Sports Related
Hello

I'm a first time buyer and I'm picking up the keys to my new place on Saturday but I'm unsure if there is anything I need to do between now and then.

I'm sure I need to call up the gas, electric and water company's to say I'm moving in and I'm a new customer. But do I need to let anyone else know like the council?
Also, I wont actually be living in the house until I've decorated in the summer, so I'll have no need for a phone. Should I let BT know too?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    you do need to contact the council im sure. Cant think of who else... anyone who needs will contact you anyway.
  • Options
    As soon as the 'place' is yours, go in and read the electric,gas and if you have it, water meter.
    Keep a note of the readings, the departing resident should have done the same.
    You may or may not wish to stay with the current utility suppliers, that's up to you.
    As for the 'phone. I seem to remember this as a potential minefield. If you take over the current number and stay with BT, i think it's fairly straightforward. If the line and number are 'lost' you may find yourself paying ridiculously high re-connection charges.
    I'm fairly sure the legal people involved inform the council of your takeover of the property. You become liable for council tax from this day.
    Hope this is of some help.
  • Options
    The previous owner should have told gas/water/electric/phone companies of a moving out date so they can get a final bill but don't assume this so it's definitely worth finding out yourself just to be sure.
    You'll definitely need to contact the council because as you won't be living there yet you don't have to pay council tax so make them aware of that. When speaking to the council you'll also need to register yourself as living there so you can go on the electoral roll.
  • Options
    Daggs says what I wanted to say really.

Read the meters and let the council know. If you'll be living alone then let them know as your council tax is reduced

BT reconnection fees are quite high but might still be cheaper than having an empty house for 6 months with a phone line - check out the costs before deciding
  • Options
    More and more people are getting by without a BT landline now.

Use your mobile for calls and USB dongle for you laptop/pc for internet and save a fortune on rental etc.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the quick replys. I'll get straight onto Bexley council and I'll make sure to call BT too.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]More and more people are getting by without a BT landline now.

Use your mobile for calls and USB dongle for you laptop/pc for internet and save a fortune on rental etc.[/quote]

Thats what I was plaining on doing but in a few months, I plan on getting broadband and so prob be easier to just pay the line rental now

Cheers
  • Options
    tv licence....
  • Options
    Invites for house/flat warming party, just pop the date, time and address in this tread ;-)
  • Options
    mail relocation
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doctors surgery.
  • Options
    Home and contents Insurance especially as leaving house empty

DVLA

Employer

Any credit cards, banks

Charlton (for your Season ticket renewal forms)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Home and contents Insurance especially as leaving house empty

quote]

Be carefull on this one as most insurace companies will have small print regarding unoccupied properties.

Advice given to me was stick at least a bed and a few things in there as eveidence that it IS occupied and you should be OK.
  • Options
    Insurance firms don't like unoccupied properties (many will not even quote) - if it's going to be empty you need to make sure they understand that it is and for how long - even if furnished etc.
  • Options
    You may want to think about letting the Electoral Register people know. You can stay on the old address until you move but change as soon as you move permanently.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Blinkant[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]More and more people are getting by without a BT landline now.

Use your mobile for calls and USB dongle for you laptop/pc for internet and save a fortune on rental etc.[/quote]

Thats what I was plaining on doing but in a few months, I plan on getting broadband and so prob be easier to just pay the line rental now

Cheers[/quote]

if you go with cable for phone/broadband you wont need to have any dealings with BT
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]mail relocation[/quote]
    It's about 30 quid for a year and it's great - when it works

Annoyingly my surname is Wisdom and the guy I sold my house to was Wilson - this often gets overlooked.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If you drive strictly speaking you should advise the DVLA of the change of address and accept the licenced mugging by way of an administration charge to process said change and issue a new (paper) licence.

Furthermore if you have a car, given the thieving, amoral tactics of insurance companies to duck claims responsibilities, it would probably be prudent to advise your insurance company of your new address.

Otherwise I think Daggs has it pretty well covered along with Suzi mentioning TV licence.
  • Options
    Regarding the unnoccupancy just notify them and make sure they note your file e.g in the comments

Take down person you spoke to, time & date just o be sure as 99% of calls can be traced

Trust me i worked in home insurance :o)
  • Options
    What if Blinkant doesn't notify the council and doesn't go on the electral roll.. what will his council tax liability be in about 3 years time? He'll be better off but what will happen to him.. just wondered, if we had any council tax experts here?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]If you drive strictly speaking you should advise the DVLA of the change of address and accept the licenced mugging by way of an administration charge to process said change and issue a new (paper) licence.

Moved a couple of years ago, it didn't cost me anything to change from old green one to the new type.
  • Options
    Confirm what time the previous owner is vacating your new home. We waited until 4pm for my muppet to finally leave.
  • Options
    Cheers for the advise guys

As I'll be moving out of my parents house and moving 7 houses up the road, I wont be in any rush to get all my letters redirected yet.

Unfortunatly, I cant get digital cable in my area... We waited for almost 3 years with the provider saying next year before we went to Sky.

We've told the vendors that they have to be out by 11. Lucky, I'm getting my car MOT the same day so by the time thats finished, we should be good to move in.

As for the insurance, I was only plaining on staying out for 2 weeks while we painted the place but might now just move into one room, just to be safe.

And then party!
  • Options
    Technically as soon as you exchange contracts you've committed to buy, so some solicitors advise taking out the buildings insurance from the date of exchange purely to protect yourself in case anything happens between exchange & completion.

If you're not living there, you're not liable for the full council tax (or at least you didn't used to be) - speak to them to get the full details.

Your first trip to the supermarket will be expensive! It's all the things that gradually run out over time like ketchup & washing up liquid etc that you need to buy all at once...
  • Options
    If you are single and living alone you are entitled to a Council tax discount (25% I believe).

You need to apply for it though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Blinkant[/cite]Cheers for the advise guys

As I'll be moving out of my parents house and moving 7 houses up the road, I wont be in any rush to get all my letters redirected yet.

Unfortunatly, I cant get digital cable in my area... We waited for almost 3 years with the provider saying next year before we went to Sky.

We've told the vendors that they have to be out by 11. Lucky, I'm getting my car MOT the same day so by the time thats finished, we should be good to move in.

As for the insurance, I was only plaining on staying out for 2 weeks while we painted the place but might now just move into one room, just to be safe.

And then party!

all the perks of having your own place along with......er......all the perks of virtually living at home (nice cooked meal and a bit of washing / ironing if you're lucky eh!), well planned - pop home around dinner time to collect your post eh!
  • Options
    a bit like mrs merton and malcolm