Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Car MOT & Service in Welling / Bexleyheath area

I'm sure there's been a thread on this before but after much searching I can't find it.

The Warranty runs out on my car next month and it needs it's first MOT and also annual service. Previously I'd had it serviced at the Saab garage in Chislehurst when it was under warranty, however now that it's not I begrudge paying the £500+ they normally charge.

Does anyone know a reliable garage in the local area that can do a reasonably priced service/mot. I prefer to use something recommended as I have zero knowledge of cars (apart from how to drive one) and for all I know they could tell me anything..

thanks

Comments

• Options
    There is a decent place in Blackfen/Blendon next to the Bike shop on the roundabout. Think it is called Danson garage.
  • Options
    I've always used this garage, been around for years and they're really good.

Kings Highway
  • Options
    Totally agree re Kings Highway. Only garage ever to give me an MOT without some kind of work. Used them for years, always do a good job and they're nice people to boot.

I'd never buy a car off them mind...
  • Options
    I know an MOT place in Welling near Blockbuster - on that parade of shops. Not sure about service though. Why not goodle saab service, if you shop around the dealers you can find cheaper, if not a non saab place that will do a proper saab service/parts. One of the reasons it probably so expensive is the parts are costly?
  • Options
    New Eltham Test Centre, by the station, are quality
  • Options
    A Smith Motors at Bexley Station, been having an MOT there for a few years now and the only MOT station not to say year after year that nothing is wrong with my car but i need my windscreen wipers replaced.
  • Options
    You go to the place the council take their vehicles to get them MOT'd- whever that is- the bexley council website will tell you which garage they use or you can call them. Usually i think it's the case the council will run the garage and the public can use it. You are then pretty well guaranteed no rip off, as they have no service centre annexed to the test centre and therefore no interest in 'extra' works. Lewisham council use the test centre in Deptford. My old banger has got through the past 3 tests there, and the only cost has been the mandatory test fee. More info on www.moneysavingexpert.com where i first got this tip.
  • Options
    look up the service schedule too, and check receipts etc for parts to make sure you are getting what you need and paid for..
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Claremonts in wickham lane, just before the bridge on the opposite side to lidl, if you're coming from plumstead end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Badger[/cite]Claremonts in wickham lane, just before the bridge on the opposite side to lidl, if you're coming from plumstead end.

that's about 2 mins from me and would be ideal if any good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Badger[/cite]Claremonts in wickham lane, just before the bridge on the opposite side to lidl, if you're coming from plumstead end.

that's about 2 mins from me and would be ideal if any good.

Claremonts sometimes have a voucher in the News Shopper for a reduction in the MOT fee so worth looking out for.
    Just make sure the difference isn't made up by advisory bulbs and wipers etc.....
  • Options
    Just an update for anyone who's in the area and needing the same thing done.

Had a quote from Saab Chislehurst for Service (£310) and MOT (£54) + a few other (all cheaper ones)

Best by far and most helpful was Claremonts, £175 (inc VAT, parts and labour) for full service and MOT (if booked at the same time as the service) 0.99p !!!, cracking quality and I'd definately recommend, check their website if anyone needs this done.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Platform7[/cite]You go to the place the council take their vehicles to get them MOT'd- whever that is- the bexley council website will tell you which garage they use or you can call them. Usually i think it's the case the council will run the garage and the public can use it. You are then pretty well guaranteed no rip off, as they have no service centre annexed to the test centre and therefore no interest in 'extra' works. Lewisham council use the test centre in Deptford. My old banger has got through the past 3 tests there, and the only cost has been the mandatory test fee. More info on www.moneysavingexpert.com where i first got this tip.

got mine booked in for saturday at the one in Deptford , anyone else used this before ? wanted to know what they're like there.

Also as it's the first time I've had to go through one apart from the usual obvious things is there anything else I could get caught out on?
  • Options
    It's quite a long way from my home in Greenwich but I've used Blackfen Drive In, (Blackfen natch).
    Despite there being many places closer, II keep going back there as they seem honest and I haven't left feeling they've ripped me off.
    I know a few other people who have also used them and they all seem impressed.
    Free outside & inside clean too.