Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

U.S. Open Tennis - has anyone been?

Thinking of a wee holiday in September in New York to watch some tennis - if anyone can share experiences re tickets, places to stay etc, that would be very welcome.

Comments

• Options
    Not been to the tennis but did got to Shea Stadium (former home of the Mets) which is/was next door to Flushing Meadows. I seem to remember it was a bit of a trek on the subway from Manhattan so if you are going to be going to a few days of the tennis it might be worth staying a bit closer.
  • Options
    i was at the US Open In Flushing Meadows of NY last summer. Great time. The city of New York could keep you busy for months alone. US Open is great tennis and by far the best venue to hold a Grand Slam in the US. New York is very expensive though...
  • Options
    I've been to the US Open lots of times. Feel free to ask me any questions about this, or NYC in general at newyorkaddick@yahoo.co.uk
  • Options
    Was in NYC while the US Open was on - didn't go to watch it, but walked past the Arthur Ashe stadium while play was on. It sounded a world apart from Wimbledon... big booming PAs and music and all that.

It's in a slightly run-down bit of Queens - as said, a bit of a trek from Manhattan, but no different from going to Wembley from central London, really. The park itself has the remnants of the 1964 World's Fair there, and you're close to Citi Field, the new New York Mets baseball ground (right next door to the Shea Stadium site).

Tickets were being advertised on the radio while I was there, so they shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    Ah yeah, and I'll vouch for New York Addick's unparalleled knowledge of NYC!