Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Arbitrager Pub (near Bank)

Does anyone know or drink in The Arbitrager pub near Bank station? My girlfriend drinks in their with her work mates and the manager was recently promoting a Peter Kay night. Apparently Peter Kay was going to do a secret warm-up gig at the pub as practice for his upcoming tour. The manager was selling tickets at £50 a head and sold them all pretty quickly. My girlfriend got four tickets, but we got a bit suspicious when she was given cheaply printed tickets on cardboard paper. She was told she could pay whenever she wanted before the gig (which was supposed to happen last week) so long as it was in cash. In the end we decided to not bother going and he was happy to take tickets back saying he'd sell them easily enough.

Turns out it was all a scam and there was no gig. Manager did a runner last week with everyones money, plus £8k from the till. Wasn't only Peter Kay, he'd done the same for Johnny Vegas and Ken Dodd gigs as well! Apparently one guy had bought about 20 tickets off him!

Annoying thing was that I was going to email Peter Kay's management to check if it was all legit a couple of months ago, but never got round to it. Might have caught him before he did his runner.

Comments

• Bloody hell.

I'd certainly be suspect at 50 quid a head!

Sean Lock did one (warm up thing) round here last week for 13.
  • Yeah I thought it was funny when this geezer took over as manager.

fonejacker_george_agdgdgwngo_2.jpg

Fortunately it'll take more than a convincing pub manager to part me from £50 to watch a fat man repeatedly yelling GARLIC BREAD to the guffaws of the masses, in a dingy city boozer. Although this story has worried me that the £900 quid I gave to the manager of the manager of the Bugle for 2 front row tickets to the warm up that he's having in the back room, for the Michael Jackson Back From The Dead Tour, which was scribbled in pen on a bit of bog roll.
  • No disrespect ... but how did you fall for that one ! As if ............
  • Interesting, useful to know! This place is right next where I work, never been there but don't think I will now.

Question marks over how he got away with doing this with several comedians, surely not all at this same pub???
  • Are there any tickets left?
  • JTJT
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Airman are there any tickets left?

Peter Kay: 567
    Ken Dodd: 843
    Johnny Vegas: 119
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ohahvoldermort[/cite]terrible turnout. City Tavern and the Bull and Banker both sold all their Peter Kay tickets
  • [cite]Posted By: Oohahhmortimer[/cite]Vegas is a weekday night, re-arranged, we have to remember he's on ITV now we should expect these turn outs
  • [cite]Posted By: Greenster[/cite]No disrespect ... but how did you fall for that one ! As if ............

We didn't, that's why we gave them back.

Never been to the pub myself, my gf came home with the tickets one day. Apparently the guy told her she'd get proper tickets once she paid, those were just to reserve her place and they were so expensive because the venue only held 50 people or so.

Not sure how he manage to pull all three gigs off but there was posters up in the pub advertising them by all accounts. I reckon he made off with about £15k in total.

It's not unusual for comedians to do small gigs to test new material. Remember when I once had tickets to see Jimmy Carr live at the Royal Albert Hall. I went to a pub the week before that was having a small comedy night, and first act on was Jimmy Carr practicing his routine for the RAH show - was not amused (in more way than one).
  • Sponsored links:

• Went to a Ricky Gervais warm up in March last year for a tenner. He was only on for 40 mins. Lazy git.

People should of smelt a rat when the tickets were going for 50 notes...
  • so whenis the gig then ?
  • Put me down for a couple.

Not fussed about Peter Kay, but I'm all for supporting enterprise.
  • Go in there occassionally and heard about the 'gigs'. Have had posters up for a while.

Tiny pub, and if you had been in it you would know instantly there would of been zero chance this was legit.
  • I saw Harry Hill about 17-18 years ago at the Woodman in Blackfen preparing for his tour - absolutely brilliant night made even better by Mackenzie Crook (Gareth from The Office) supporting doing his northern gameshow host act and offering a heckler out.
  • If you can knock them down to £40 quid I'll have a couple....
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Go in there occassionally and heard about the 'gigs'. Have had posters up for a while.

Tiny pub, and if you had been in it you would know instantly there would of been zero chance this was legit.

Yeah, I was in there a while back with Vanders and we both thought it sounded too good to be true.......................
  • Hi people,
    I'm the NEW manager of THE ARBI...I have been there for 5 weeks since the fiasco with the comedy nights.
    I hope evereybody who paid for tickets have been fully refunded...
    Anyway,,all i can say is, please dont let this put you off on visiting THE ARBITRAGER,i have already improved the standards since i have been there, it is busier and we even have women in there drinking, there are new staff, new toilets, new products and there is a better atmosphere.
    TO prove to you i am the real deal, pop in anytime , mention this forum and i will personally buy you a drink.
    many thanks
    Craig
  • [cite]Posted By: craigeboy1972[/cite]Hi people,
    I'm the NEW manager of THE ARBI...I have been there for 5 weeks since the fiasco with the comedy nights.
    I hope evereybody who paid for tickets have been fully refunded...
    Anyway,,all i can say is, please dont let this put you off on visiting THE ARBITRAGER,i have already improved the standards since i have been there, it is busier and we even have women in there drinking, there are new staff, new toilets, new products and there is a better atmosphere.
    TO prove to you i am the real deal, pop in anytime , mention this forum and i will personally buy you a drink.
    many thanks
    Craig

nice offer mate, but it might cost you a few quid.....there's a few of us addicks working in the city !!
  • the pub doesnt have a function room does it?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]the pub doesnt have a function room does it?
    according to beer in the evening, it has a function room for hire.
  • interesting. Fancy a drink during the week the two dannys? Wonder if bit out of the way for a city addicks. Will take a nose soon as that is one min from my office. But not as convenient for london bridge.
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/28/2898/Arbitrager/Bank

To be fair, MOG ........all the reviews on that site are very old.

The last review was posted in August last year, when the place was going to rack and ruin under the old management.

It's a new manager now, who's come in and tried hard to improve the place - so people need to go there and form their own opinion.
  • Put it on there to help anyone looking for it......
    Blimey, so its YOU who reads my links........
    ;-)
  • Somebody has to, mate ........!
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    It's a new manager now, who's come in and tried hard to improve the place - so people need to go there and form their own opinion.
    Same old lines from you Oggy :0)
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]interesting. Fancy a drink during the week the two dannys? Wonder if bit out of the way for a city addicks. Will take a nose soon as that is one min from my office. But not as convenient for london bridge.

there's an offer I can't say no to..:o)

I used to work in the Stock Exchange and have been in here a few times (although not for about 10 years now) If anything I'd say it was more convenient for London Bridge, only a 10 min walk