Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sellers want to push back moving date

edited February 2010 in Not Sports Related
After all the excitement of this Saturday and moving into my first house, I've just got a email from my solicitors saying the sellers don't want to move this week and want to wait till the 26th.

Can they do this with only 2 days to go?

I've got my new sofa being delivered on Tuesday and Wednesday, someone is coming round to start work on the front door. Not to mention people in my family who have taken random days off to help decorate.

They called everyday for a week trying to get my deposit and when its finally been paid, they want to delay the move. I'm so P*ssed

Comments

• Options
    Speak to your solicitor about it. Sure this is something they have seen before.

Might be able to knock off a few quid for the inconvenience caused.
  • Options
    Contact the people due to deliver the sofa and find out how much it will cost you to change the delivery date. Add this to the daily rate of the bloke coming to do the door, 150 quid per person per day (including yourself) for the relatives coming to help you decorate, plus 10 percent for the aggro. Get back to your solicitor and say it's a massive nuisance but if the vendors are prepared to reimburse you for this additional expense that their messing about has caused you, then you'll reluctantly accept.

They'll either
    a) pull their finger out and move on the agreed date
    b) cough up or
    c) try to haggle

If c, it's down to how much you want the place versus the extra hassle. Are you prepared to let it all fall through for the sake of a fortnight? Final lesson is NEVER buy anything for the new place until you have the keys in your hand.
  • Options
    Usually when you exchange you agree a completion date. Like everything in a contract you can agree mutually to vary it. If you don't want to agree to that then they are stuck with what they have previously agreed to and a failure to complete on the specified day normally results in interest being payable on the purchase price. As HI says, speak to your solicitor but this is the basic position.
  • Options
    If you have already exchanged I doubt they can change the date without your agreement, if youhave not exchanged then knock some moeny off the price for the inconvenience - I got £7,500 knocked off for a 2 week delay when I bought my first house!
  • Options
    I havent exchanged due to f*cking Nationwide not making the CHAPS payment twice. They offered to not charge me the £20 fee because they messed up and then charged me it anyway. Bloody idiots running that place.

Everyone said it would be the most stressful thing and it is.

Cheers for the advise guys
  • Options
    I had a similar experience a couple of years ago re funiture due on certain days etc

DFS would not store my sofa any longer and tried delivering it to my old address. As I did not want the hassel of having to move it myself the following week I got the devilery men to take it back saying that they couldn't get it through the door !

***simples***
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Blinkant[/cite]I havent exchanged due to f*cking Nationwide not making the CHAPS payment twice. They offered to not charge me the £20 fee because they messed up and then charged me it anyway. Bloody idiots running that place.

Everyone said it would be the most stressful thing and it is.

Cheers for the advise guys

If you haven't already exchanged and completion date legally set in stone, then you've got an issue.

Don't forget to lodge your complaint with Nationwide - Consumer Advice will help.