Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chester v Wrexham postponed on police orders & that could be the end for them

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Because of £26,125 in unpaid taxes.

That's almost literally one days wages for Terry, Lampard etc.

And that one sentence sums up exactly what is wrong with football IMHO....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]It's a real shame.

Article to follow on a separate but related topic. Don't want to take this one off-topic

Article was written and when I went to post it I was automatically signed out. Grrrr. Will have to wait.

Again, my comiserations to the people and fans of Chester City
  • Options
    Thankfully they have an established and active Supporters' Trust to lead the process of forming a phoenix club in a lower league.

If they can get use of the ground they should be OK.

Good luck to them
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bizarre Chester City fact - the 4-0 match was our only away League meeting ever and the week before the 1981 fifth round FA Cup tie at League leaders Ipswich. With Charlton trailing in the second half, the match was held up after a visiting supporter removed a corner flag and threw it out the ground.
  • Options
    Thought i read on the BBC last night that they have applied for the Welsh Prem?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]With Charlton trailing in the second half, the match was held up after a visiting supporter removed a corner flag and threw it out the ground.

No doubt this ruffian is a respectable member of society now.

*Embarrassed smiley thing*
  • Options
    LOL

why did you do it ?
  • Options
    Shocked.
  • Options
    Pardon my fading memory, but wasn't there a "horror tackle" on Paul Walsh in this game ? - which thankfully did no damage.

I seem to recall his dad/uncle/relative going nuts about it at the time.
  • Options
    I believe the ruffian involved was 18, had drunk too much and for some unkown reason decided it was better taking on an inanimate object than some half welsh local.

As it was he spent the next half hour being chased round outside the ground by some irate locals - all it needed was the Benny Hill sound track.

Or so I'm led to believe!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]had drunk too much

Not shocked
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]I believe the ruffian involved was 18, had drunk too much and for some unkown reason decided it was better taking on an inanimate object than some half welsh local.

As it was he spent the next half hour being chased round outside the ground by some irate locals - all it needed was the Benny Hill sound track.

Or so I'm led to believe!

Lol, may well have known you him at the time, at least by sight, because there were not many Charlton there that day.
  • Options
    Didn't Ian Rush get a hatrick that day?
  • Options
    The Deva opened in 1992, first English football stadium to fulfil the safety recommendations from the Taylor Report, which was commissioned after the Hillsborough disaster of 1989 according to Wiki. I visited Sealand but didn't see Charlton.

Real shame about Chester.
  • Options
    With maybe more to follow,Farsley Celtic,Cambridge United,Histon all on the verge of possibly going out of business.Overpaid players and limited crowds are not helping.Grays nearly went but are now okay
    Portsmouth,Southend,Stockport,Macclesfield all in trouble,clubs need to be better managed.
  • Options
    clubs chasing impossible dreams
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]clubs chasing impossible dreams

Dover athletic paying big wages and chasing the dream is a good example.
  • Options

Or being forced to chase the impossible dream because everyone else is. No one wants their club to be the only sensible one if that sensibility means they'll get relegated for sure.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Another one bites the dust

I am amazed at how a team in the lower reaches of the Conference North can amass debts of 750k!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Another one bites the dust

I am amazed at how a team in the lower reaches of the Conference North can amass debts of 750k!

Yep, my first thoughts too. They were a solid Conference side until last season, I think. Did they have to buy their ground or something like that?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]

Or being forced to chase the impossible dream because everyone else is. No one wants their club to be the only sensible one if that sensibility means they'll get relegated for sure.
    No one's being forced in to anything and the fan's attitude is going to change very soon...