Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poxy BT .......Grrrrrrrrrr!!

edited February 2010 in Not Sports Related
Don't you just hate these greedy grasping bast*rd corporations where no member of staff is capable of making a decision - let alone able to do the morally right thing???

I've got a phone/broadband account with BT, which I've had at this address for 20 years.
My 22-year old son who lives upstairs in the attic, has his own BT Vision account - just in case he might one day want to rent a film, which he never has at anytime.

So what has some clueless goon decided to do at BT?
Yep, despite being in separate names, merge the accounts.

Did they check whose account paid for the phone line?
Why no - why bother, who cares anyway.

So they merged 2 separate accounts - and in their wisdom charged my entire phone & broadband bill to my son's account, under the direct debit they made him set up to rent a film which, remember - he's never even used.

Now BT have emptied his bank account leaving him in the red, and subject to bank charges.

I've just spent 45 minutes on the phone haranguing some poor 19 year old, to return the wrongfully taken direct debit.
"Oh no, we can't do that; your son will have to sort it out with his own bank himself", she tells me.

What now about being Charlie being overdrawn and having to pay bank charges?

"Sorry, nothing I can do about that. A customer's bank charges are not BT's responsibility."

1) Total mal-administration in the first place.
2) Then taking money from the wrong person's account.
3) Then they won't give it back.

I'll call Trading Standards in the morning.
Bast*rd BT.

Grrrrrrrr!!!

Comments

• Options
    adsads
    edited February 2010
    they are infuriating when things start to go wrong and you cant get a straight simple answer from anyone! a lot of the phone/internet companies seem the same, for people in the communications industry, they're not very good at it!
  • Options
    Tell them you're going to get in touch with Watchdog too.

I've heard they don't like that kind of (bad) publicity much.
  • Options
    Anyone who has a 22 year old son living in the attic deserves everything they get...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Anyone who has a 22 year old son living in the attic deserves everything they get...

I've brought him up on my own as a single parent, since he was 8 years old.

What am I supposed to do, shoot him ....?
  • Options
    We recently moved offices in Central London. Our connection to our main data centre is a 100mb LES link (basically a LAN, or Local Area Network connection emulated over a wide area to maintain access as quickly as is possible) provided by BT.

From day one after the move the circuit was crap - unreliable, videoconferencing and VOIP was almost unusable, data rates fluctuated wildly on the transmit side etc etc. It took me and my staff about an hour to eliminate everything else (firewall, LAN, switch, router, excess local broadcast traffic etc etc) as being responsible and point the finger squarely at the BT line. They sent three engineers, over a total of two months to both ends of the line to try and fix it. Each time they f***ed up the access request at the far end (the data centre), and each time it took a whole half-day instead of the promised one hour to sort out. In the end I went nuts at them down the phone and told them if they didn't get a PROPER network engineer out to look at it that weekend, I was cancelling the line on Monday and we would go with NTL. Saturday morning, a PROPER engineer turns up, pulls the card out of the NTU and instantly spots that a dip switch on the service card has been flicked, on the transmit side, to half duplex.

None of that will mean anything to most of you, but suffice it to say that a misconfigured duplex setting is probably thr second thing you look at when diagnosing a layer 2 networking issue (after making sure the cable is plugged in correctly), should be diagnosable by a 16 year old kid straight out of school with a C in GCSE IT, was instantly spottable from the traffic graphs I had sent them on numerous occasions (annotated with 'LOOKS LIKE A DUPLEX MISMATCH') and would show up on any line test (which they inisisted they had done on at least five previous occasions). Oh, and the three engineers that had come out previously all pulled the service card as well - and failed to spot the problem.

Absolute, utter, unadulterated muppets.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    County court order is what youll need...they will pay up without the case being heard and pay all expenses. I've handled 5 cases like this.
  • Options
    Leroy i understood the last four words , and have to say it was apoint well made ( i think)

Oggy well done mate for doing the Dad bit on your jack .

PS mate does your Dad ever hear from Bill MacEwen at all ?
  • Options
    Leroy - I managed all of it except LES & NTU!
    ...partly because we had a half-duplex issue at one of our sites recently!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I'll call Trading Standards in the morning.

No need Oggy, I'll save you the you call. If you aren't getting anywhere on the phone, and try to get through to the High Level Complaints team, your local TSD won't be able to offer too much advice on this other than to put everything in writing to the highest level in the company you can. Email's fine these days but I also advise recorded delivery too (read receipts are good though).

Legally your son should of course not be out of pocket because of BT's ineptitude therefore they are liable for his 'consequential loss' i.e. the bank charges, etc (use that exact phrase). Make sure you include copies of bank statements, etc. If you can't get it resolved by BT then you'll have to use one of the telecoms ombudsmen schemes, Otelo I would think for BT. otelo
  • Options
    Best of luck with it. Sounds ridiculous
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wont hear a good word said about BT, absolute dogsh*te.
  • Options
    Put it in writing Oggster, I know it's old fashioned but it's still the only way to get any real results I find. Make sure you keep a diary of when you phoned people, who you've spoken to and what was said too.

If you write the letter put in that you are copying it to the MD and to Watchdog and/or Oftel. Even if you don't that often puts sufficient wind up them to get some action - it's worked for me in the past in a dispute with Royal Mail.
  • Options
    I had loads of trouble renewing my Vodafone contract last year & wrote straight to the chairman. Got a call "from the chairman's office" a couple of days later.

Did the same thing a few years previously when the wife had a problem - got the bill wiped out & extra credit on the account.

Always complain directly to the top if the normal customer service people are useless...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Anyone who has a 22 year old son living in the attic deserves everything they get...

I've brought him up on my own as a single parent, since he was 8 years old.

What am I supposed to do, shoot him ....?
    Ever seen that film 'Bad Boy Bubby'...?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    BT seem to revell in the fact that they have proceedures/ protocols/ and at times I have had more than 1 run in with them.
    I thought that there Customers services had improved, having had the same red tape attitude 5 or so years ago when i switched to broadband on a mac....... 'The old silver speedhub' the cd they sent did not work and endless calls to there IT support did not work. Found a fix in the end and after a lenghty moan got the call charges re-imbursed. Bt by christ was it painful.

Now I am on the black hub phone and it is a lot better, enetred a new contract and got a new /phone and hub, and halved my account charge. You really have to haggle with these guys, been with them over 20 years, but cuts no ice!

Not until I said right I will go with 'sky', and cancel the service , did they start to negotiate. So I made them match the deal that sky advertised, said they could not, but did in the end.
    Being a polite, firm awkward customer I moaned my way to a deal, should not have to, but that is the way it is. Go through the accounts department, that gets there attention....say you are going to leave.
  • Options
    Oggy, technically the muppet from BT is correct about the bank charges. The Direct Debit Guarantee says if "an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society". Get your son to contact his bank, and request said full and immediate refund, including the bank charges incurred as a result of BT's error.

However, I think you'd be well within your rights to request compensation for the time you've had to spend getting them to rectify their error.
  • Options
    I can't think of a company run worse than BT. The tried to get £83 off me despite the contract being closed within the free offer period, they also didn't show up when they were meant to when we moved offices. I could go on...
  • Options
    Most banks will immediately waive the charges if this is the first time this has happened. I did it last week with Lloyds TSB when i direct debit went unpaid. As for BT, it must be hard for them when they run their customer contacts through Mumbai!
  • Options
    A big thank you to everyone on here who's taken the trouble to post helpful replies - most appreciated, cheers!

I'll let you know how I get on.
  • Options
    i have seen Bad Boy Bubby. v disturbing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mum calls me collect from Canada in an emergency calll lasts 5mins 13 secs, call charge £58.65, Ask BT to justify it they claim they can't control their collect call prices :( 5 months later now with sky talk and have sky broadband (previously bt and bt broadband) BT sed a bill charging for 5 months of broadband service we never had??? Apparantly although the MAC code was used by sky to migrate and we told BT we were going over to sky, as we didn't use the exzact words 'I wish to cancel my broadband subscription' they never cancelled the subscription, services stopped but subscription still active??? BT customers be warned!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sadiejane1981[/cite]5 months later now with sky talk and have sky broadband (previously bt and bt broadband) BT sed a bill charging for 5 months of broadband service we never had??? Apparantly although the MAC code was used by sky to migrate and we told BT we were going over to sky, as we didn't use the exzact words 'I wish to cancel my broadband subscription' they never cancelled the subscription, services stopped but subscription still active??? BT customers be warned!!

Same happened to me when I moved from Tiscali to TalkTalk. Just had to send off a copy of my first bill from TT to Tiscali and they refunded the DD's they had taken. Apparently a very common thing amongst all BB suppliers!

Otelo is the official phone regulator - as mentioned above - contact them with complaints etc. If it's the BT Vision TV service, or broadband, contact Ofcom. The website has details of how to complain etc. and also template letters to send off to service providers.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    I've brought him up on my own as a single parent, since he was 8 years old. What am I supposed to do, shoot him ....?
    Ever seen that film 'Bad Boy Bubby'...?

I don't see the connection.

On one side a single father raises his child and allows him to live in the attic at the age of 22.

On the other, a woman abuses her child.

Really, did I miss something here?