Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thames Path

edited February 2010 in Not Sports Related
Has anyone walked the Thames Path? We intend to start walking it on Sunday (hoping for a bright, crisp winters day). We are starting at the barrier and might go to Tower Bridge, anyone else done this?

Comments

• Options
    Yup, many times
    Take your camera. The earlier you leave the more unusual things you will see.
    And the light is perfect at this time of year!

Not quite as interesting now as it used to be, but if you have the inclination, try the Lea Valley walk. Fascinating - though it is re routed around the Olympic site
  • Options
    We walk it regularly but only from the Barrier and have never gotten beyond Greenwich.

there was a long post on this on the greenwich phantom the other week ill send you the link or did you read it already?
  • Options
    Charlton to Greenwich is a top riverside walk because you're actually next to the river. When you go further on you find yourself getting funneled away from the river and into crappy estates. We gave up half an hour after passing Greenwich. Best of luck.
  • Options
    have you ever done Erith to Greenwich santa? i wouldnt mind trying that. is that mainly riverside. i know by woolich you have to go to the road a bit.
  • Options
    I have done this several times and I use to cycle to work from Greenwich to St Pauls along the Thame Path crossing the river over the Millenium footbridge.

The walk from Greenwich to Tower Bridge is not great. It is a much more pleasant walk from Tower Bridge to Westminster Bridge on the south side. However, if you cross the river under the footbridge at Greenwich and walk the Thames path on the north side to Tower Bridge you spend a lot more time actually walking beside the river and, once you get past Canary Wharf, you pass 4 or 5 really nice riverside pubs in which you can take a rest every 30 minutes or so. If you want to shorten the walk a little bit you can take the Thames Clipper from Greenwich to Canary Wharf and start the walk from there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]have you ever done Erith to Greenwich santa? i wouldnt mind trying that. is that mainly riverside. i know by woolich you have to go to the road a bit.

I have cycled from Greenwich to the Dartford Bridge and back again along the Thames Path. It is a great cycle route but not too sure I would walk it. For one thing there are not many pubs along the route!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]have you ever done Erith to Greenwich santa? i wouldnt mind trying that. is that mainly riverside. i know by woolich you have to go to the road a bit.

Never tried that section Curb It. Thanks for the idea though, might get the bikes out and cycle it when it gets warmer.
  • Options
    i keep saying we should jump on the train to erith and then do the walk back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]We walk it regularly but only from the Barrier and have never gotten beyond the Crown & Anchor (approx 100 yards :-)

there was a long post on this on the greenwich phantom the other week ill send you the link or did you read it already?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    no mog. the article is here.

path
  • Options
    Thanks for the info we have walked before back from the Tate to Greeneich so thought we would go from the barrier to greenwich and then through the tunnel to the north side. Strangely looking forward to it. This is part of a campaign to be able to walk further for our trip to Canada in Septrmber, may be easy walking but anything that gets my arthritic hip moving good by me. However, if I wake on Sunday and it is raining or arse cold will probably wimp out!!
  • Options
    What a great blog the phantom has
    Just spent an hour delving and planning - top stuff
    Many thanks for the heads up on it fellas - one to keep for sure