Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ouch!....Just got my gas bill for Nov,Dec and Jan

edited February 2010 in Not Sports Related
£449.84!

It is double what it was for the same time last year! And the increase is all down to increased consumption. Proves how much colder this winter has neen than the last.

Comments

• Options
    I'm expecting the same, last year's was £200 odd and this year, who knows? What I do know is that during our -10 degrees winter spell for about 2 weeks, my heating was on throughout the night, so I'm expecting £400 plus.
  • Options
    ours was over 200, considering we were away for 5 weeks, we were stunned!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jason1[/cite]I'm expecting the same, last year's was £200 odd and this year, who knows? What I do know is that during our -10 degrees winter spell for about 2 weeks, my heating was on throughout the night, so I'm expecting £400 plus.

Why do you need your heating on when you're asleep?!
  • Options
    I've not had one since moving into my house last April

That could smart when it turns up!
  • Options
    I'm dreading mine. Got electric for October, November and December and end of December (only £45). Billed for gas over the same period so surely should have got gas bill at same time. Checked online and definitely not issued yet. Can't bring myself to phone up and ask for it, but if they do it for Oct, Nov and Dec and then add on Jan and Feb to the same one it's gonna be huge!
  • Options
    www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk

Been using them for years. Gas, electric, phones, broadband, mobiles etc, etc. Cheapest around. When you need to, you get straight through to an intelligent, helpful human being in a London office. Shares trade as Telecom Plus on the London Stock Exchange. Which? Magazine "Best Energy Supplier" for the 3rd time in a row in 2009. March 2009 "Company of the Year" at the Annual "Quoted Company of the Year".
    Nuff said.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]I'm dreading mine. Got electric for October, November and December and end of December (only £45). Billed for gas over the same period so surely should have got gas bill at same time. Checked online and definitely not issued yet. Can't bring myself to phone up and ask for it, but if they do it for Oct, Nov and Dec and then add on Jan and Feb to the same one it's gonna be huge!

£45 for three months of electricity seems very low. Even if you were living in a one bed bedroom flat! Are you sure you are not getting bills based on wildly under estimated readings.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]I'm dreading mine. Got electric for October, November and December and end of December (only £45). Billed for gas over the same period so surely should have got gas bill at same time. Checked online and definitely not issued yet. Can't bring myself to phone up and ask for it, but if they do it for Oct, Nov and Dec and then add on Jan and Feb to the same one it's gonna be huge!

£45 for three months of electricity seems very low. Even if you were living in a one bed bedroom flat! Are you sure you are not getting bills based on wildly under estimated readings.

It's a 2-bed flat mate. Must admit, I was pleasantly surprised that it was only £45. I will be checking their estimated reading against the actual meter reading when the next bill is issued.
  • Options
    I got a brand new british gas boiler in in September, suppossed to be the most efficient etc etc..... and the last bill for gas was £324..... this was on the price fixed dual tarriff,....... so all the slick marketing about the cheapest gas/dual bill for the decrease hids the fact that it has still risen 40 per cent in two years!..... Oh and one other thing the new boiler and £4,500 bill for the semi I live in has brokern down 4 times and is currently not working from this morning, the second time this week!. So red seems like a bargain! mate ... Oh do not forget if you 'pay late' extra surcharge!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]I got a brand new british gas boiler in in September, suppossed to be the most efficient etc etc..... and the last bill for gas was £324..... this was on the price fixed dual tarriff,....... so all the slick marketing about the cheapest gas/dual bill for the decrease hids the fact that it has still risen 40 per cent in two years!..... Oh and one other thing the new boiler and £4,500 bill for the semi I live in has brokern down 4 times and is currently not working from this morning, the second time this week!. So red seems like a bargain! mate ... Oh do not forget if you 'pay late' extra surcharge!

So what about if my Gas supplier hasn't bothered to contact me since April.

I don't know who the provider is.

If they hit me with a bill for £1000 I am not paying that in one hit - they can take it in installments!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What you will find Swisdom is that they will insist that you go on a monthly repayment agreement, and probably add a late payment charge.
    British Gas send me the dual bill two days after new year! and at Easter time! great timing...... they obviously think I am a banker or is it wanker..... must be the latter, to put up with there crap service....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]What you will find Swisdom is that they will insist that you go on a monthly repayment agreement, and probably add a late payment charge.
    British Gas send me the dual bill two days after new year! and at Easter time! great timing...... they obviously think I am a banker or is it wanker..... must be the latter, to put up with there crap service....

Go buy your gas from Bing on here.

Drop him a whisper.
  • Options
    Mine was £250, but the leccy bill was a mere £21.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Mine was £250, but the leccy bill was a mere £21.

I can't believe what people are paying for electricity on here. £45! £21! My electricity bill for the last 3 months was £225. I wonder if the whole street is stealing my electricity?
  • Options
    our flat has key and card meters for our gas and leccy and when we first moved in I wanted to speak to the landlady about getting them taken out but despite the scare mongering about it costing loads more I find that we probably pay about £60 a month for gas from december to february and £40 at most for leccy . The rest of the year leccy stays roughly the same maybe a little less but in the summer we can sometimes go almost a month on a tenner for the gas
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]I got a brand new british gas boiler in in September, suppossed to be the most efficient etc etc..... and the last bill for gas was £324..... this was on the price fixed dual tarriff,....... so all the slick marketing about the cheapest gas/dual bill for the decrease hids the fact that it has still risen 40 per cent in two years!..... Oh and one other thing the new boiler and £4,500 bill for the semi I live in has brokern down 4 times and is currently not working from this morning, the second time this week!. So red seems like a bargain! mate ... Oh do not forget if you 'pay late' extra surcharge!

So what about if my Gas supplier hasn't bothered to contact me since April.

I don't know who the provider is.

If they hit me with a bill for £1000 I am not paying that in one hit - they can take it in installments!

Just hope that your gas supplier doesn't contact you for more than 1 year.

Companies have a code of practice and as of July 2007, where suppliers were at fault for not billing a customer, they are not allowed to backdate more than 1 year. ie you're only liable for 1 years energy costs maximum. I know I benefited from this :-)
  • Options

I will never ever use British Gas again. They conned me into believing they were the cheapest. They were not, I changed back to EDF which took me about a year to do. I dont know if EDF are cheap or not but they never lied to me like the British Gas reps did.

Another thing £4500 for a boiler is way to much IMO. When a condensing boiler cost around £750 thats a lot of labour they've charged you. And the conning gits sub the work out of their company too.
  • Options
    Another thing £4500 for a boiler is way to much IMO. When a condensing boiler cost around £750 thats a lot of labour they've charged you. And the conning gits sub the work out of their company too.

Quite agree..... but then why pay £25,000 for a BMW.....

In fairness they had to do a lot of additional pipe work and new emersion, loft boarded out to cite the new boiler, ladder, all new gas 25mm pipe work, powerflush, valves,new chimney flu, some new Rads etc etc..... The boiler has a 10 year guarantee providing it is serviced the only one British do..... yes there were cheaper quotes , and loads of cowboys out there, had not realised that British Gas were a' bit part' of the Good, Bad and the Ugly....

Agree about the subbing out bit, but had 3 quotes from local Gas safe companies and in fairness British Gas did match the second quote, and all they offered was 3 years on a potterton, if of course they are around in 3 years time!. and if you read the which report they are 'overatted' ..... live and learn I guess.
  • Options
    I benefited from the no backdating rule. When we moved into our new build flat 5 years ago we spent 8 months trying to establish who our gas supplier was. After about 10-15 phonecalls, 20+ emails to Transco and EDF I gave up. Documented everything. We moved out just before xmas and around 6 weeks before that we got a bill for nearly £4000. Rang them up, told them we werent paying. Quoted all of my attempts to contact. They ignored me amd threatened court, cutting off etc etc. Took legal advice, one letter later the bill went down to £85.00. suspect the one due in March in the new, impossible to heat place, will be a shocker!
  • Options
    Gas £273, Electric £127. Two of us in a 3 bed semi, not too bad I suppose but gas nearly double same time last year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Jason1[/cite]I'm expecting the same, last year's was £200 odd and this year, who knows? What I do know is that during our -10 degrees winter spell for about 2 weeks, my heating was on throughout the night, so I'm expecting £400 plus.

I have an 8 year old boy who is very figity in his sleep and has a tendancy to kick off the bed covers. I fear that one morning I might wake up and find him suffering from hypothermia. To be on the safe side, when its between -5 and -10, I'd rather leave the heating on, but low.
  • Options
    my 8month old son is in the coldest room in the house unfortunately, the heating drops down overnight, so i supplement his room with a stand alone heater one of those sealed oil heaters about 25 quid from argos which maintains temperature in there, rather than heat the whole house all night
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jason1[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

I have an 8 year old boy who is very figity in his sleep and has a tendancy to kick off the bed covers. I fear that one morning I might wake up and find him suffering from hypothermia. To be on the safe side, when its between -5 and -10, I'd rather leave the heating on, but low.

Perhaps he's kicking off the bed covers because he's too hot with the heating on ? Not criticising just commenting without knowing the facts :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]I benefited from the no backdating rule. When we moved into our new build flat 5 years ago we spent 8 months trying to establish who our gas supplier was. After about 10-15 phonecalls, 20+ emails to Transco and EDF I gave up. Documented everything. We moved out just before xmas and around 6 weeks before that we got a bill for nearly £4000. Rang them up, told them we werent paying. Quoted all of my attempts to contact. They ignored me amd threatened court, cutting off etc etc. Took legal advice, one letter later the bill went down to £85.00. suspect the one due in March in the new, impossible to heat place, will be a shocker!

I had an identical experience, except that when I got my bill for about £5,000.00 I knew they couldn't make me pay and told them so on the phone. The girl went away spoke to her manager and then they agreed to re- bill me, but only for the last 12 months. Result, saved about £4,400.00.

My problem started when they put in a new meter about 7 years ago. The next bill I received said closing statement. Never received one after that. I then had same problem, no one would agree that they were supplying me and no one wanted to bill me. I was with EDF and even though I begged them to bill me for a long time they refused. I tried again a few years later and they agreed to bill me, but still never did. Eventually got the 7 year bill in one hit. You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk

Been using them for years. Gas, electric, phones, broadband, mobiles etc, etc. Cheapest around. When you need to, you get straight through to an intelligent, helpful human being in a London office. Shares trade as Telecom Plus on the London Stock Exchange. Which? Magazine "Best Energy Supplier" for the 3rd time in a row in 2009. March 2009 "Company of the Year" at the Annual "Quoted Company of the Year".
    Nuff said.

I am a distributor for Utility Warehouse. In addition to the above, you can also save hundreds of pounds a year by using their Cashback discount card at Sainsburys, Boots, Argos, B&Q, Halfords, JJB Sports and many others.

Check out my web-site. link