Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Talking at gigs.......

edited February 2010 in Not Sports Related
Went to see Wilco last night at a venue in Calgary much like the Royal Festival Hall or the Barbican. Although enjoyable it was ruined for me by several idiots who insisted on talking loudly throughout the show, so much so that I could hear their conversations first & the music second during the quieter numbers.

I told the nearest one to me in no uncertain terms to shut the f*ck up, but the others around continued unabated.

Am I being a Victor Meldrew type to expect people to keep their voices down in an all-seated quietish concert or should I just relax & accept it?

This is the opposite I ralise to the sidddddddaarn debate.

Comments

• I went to see embrace in Nottingham a few years ago and two silly tarts by us talked until I asked them "is your converstation so important it can't fuckin wait?"
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Am I being a Victor Meldrew type to expect people to keep their voices down in an all-seated quietish concert or should I just relax & accept it?

Not at all Victor Meldrew, it's rude! You pay money to listen to the band/singer, not some nobber's conversation.
  • No issue...one thing at an all-stander in a club, but in a seated venue, you're there for the music. I was guilty of this one breach of etiquette in my younger, more selfish days, so I'm inclined to forgive, but at the same time, you're hardly wrong to be angry!

No answer is in no way coloured by the fact that I'm going to see them in Hamilton Tuesday...
  • Just go and watch some of the bands i go to see you won't hear any anything but the music :)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Went to see Wilco last night at a venue in Calgary much like the Royal Festival Hall or the Barbican. Although enjoyable it was ruined for me by several idiots who insisted on talking loudly throughout the show, so much so that I could hear their conversations first & the music second during the quieter numbers.

I told the nearest one to me in no uncertain terms to shut the f*ck up, but the others around continued unabated.

Am I being a Victor Meldrew type to expect people to keep their voices down in an all-seated quietish concert or should I just relax & accept it?

I have found that this is very typical Canadian behaviour Oakster along with inserting the work "like" every other word of dialogue, much like Geordies do. I must say however that they are not the worst culprits, when I lived in Amsterdam I was involved in the odd minor scuffle at gigs due to other peoples incessant talking.
  • oakster - that sux your wilco experience was ruined by a couple selfish twits. They are great live, i saw them at Lollapallooza in Chicago summer of '08. Great show, would def recommend a Wilco show. if i were you in that situation, i would have said something then tried to moved to front row if they didnt shut it.
  • I always enjoyed the way they used to have ' STFU' written in large letters on the pillar in the middle of the stage at the Jazz Cafe in Camden.

Every gig, you could guarantee that some innocent standing behind you would ask their partner : ''What does STFU mean?''

It was with great delight that one turned round and told them!
  • [cite]Posted By: addick16[/cite]oakster - that sux your wilco experience was ruined by a couple selfish twits. They are great live, i saw them at Lollapallooza in Chicago summer of '08. Great show, would def recommend a Wilco show. if i were you in that situation, i would have said something then tried to moved to front row if they didnt shut it.

I still enjoyed it, but the edge was taken off by the constant yapping. They did encore with a superb rendition of Broken Arrow & the support band, Califone, were also great.
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]Just go and watch some of the bands i go to see you won't hear any anything but the music :)
    lol - I learnt to lip read watching Motorhead :)

P.S.

The last time I saw Wilko he did a storming version of 'She does it right' :)
  • [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Went to see Wilco last night at a venue in Calgary much like the Royal Festival Hall or the Barbican. Although enjoyable it was ruined for me by several idiots who insisted on talking loudly throughout the show, so much so that I could hear their conversations first & the music second during the quieter numbers.

I have found that this is very typical Canadian behaviour Oakster along with inserting the work "like" every other word of dialogue, much like Geordies do. I must say however that they are not the worst culprits, when I lived in Amsterdam I was involved in the odd minor scuffle at gigs due to other peoples incessant talking.

Canadians over use the word - super I find. Watching a skier being interviewed the other day it went something like

"I'm super stoked to be in this super awesome event. It's a super amazing experience & everybody here has been super awesome in supporting me......."

If my kids start using this vernacular, they'll be on the naughty step before they know what's hit them!!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]Just go and watch some of the bands i go to see you won't hear any anything but the music :)
    lol - I learnt to lip read watching Motorhead :)

P.S.

The last time I saw Wilko he did a storming version of 'She does it right' :)

Do you mean Wilco Johnson Alex, I mean Wilco the band.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Do you mean Wilco Johnson Alex, I mean Wilco the band.

Didn't realise the was another mate :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eVyofFm0Rw

Thames poly students union in the early 80's, ah, to be that young again !
  • this is pretty good too, must investigate them
  • Not as annoying as silly slags who sit on their boyfriends shoulders at concerts.
    Personally I coin them down, but have no aversion to people throwing glasses of piss at them.
    Dont care if they are 4ft 10 and cant see if they are standing in a crowd.
    Get down the front or buy a seat.

rant over..
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Went to see Wilco last night at a venue in Calgary much like the Royal Festival Hall or the Barbican. Although enjoyable it was ruined for me by several idiots who insisted on talking loudly throughout the show, so much so that I could hear their conversations first & the music second during the quieter numbers.

I think your right i do think there is a way of going about this type of thing. What i dont understand is why those people have paid the same as your (presumably) and are talking amongst themselves rather than taking in the show. I spose its just part of society today everyon is interested in themselves rather than whats going on around them its all me, me ,me im sick of it personally.
  • Im sorry to say i encountered someone similar to yourself, i blame the concert for not being loud enough

Last concert i went to with mate and couple of girls, they were chatting all through it. so apparentally when we went to get some beverages the people in front told them to be quiet, but then when they did when i was back i pointed out the people behind us were talking louder and not our problem as he wasn't telling them to shut up.

Yes you go to a concert to listen to an artist/musician but its also a social for most eg. catch up with friends, if someone is particular loud then you have a right to say something and if a few others do then more then likely they will stop. but unless your going to a rock concert im afraid will always be chatting just the luck of the draw really
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Not as annoying as silly slags who sit on their boyfriends shoulders at concerts.
    Personally I coin them down, but have no aversion to people throwing glasses of piss at them.
    Dont care if they are 4ft 10 and cant see if they are standing in a crowd.
    Get down the front or buy a seat.

rant over..

Not been to a gig in recent times where someone has done this but it is very annoying...as i'm only 5ft 6ins i find it difficult to see anyway i'd love to go down the front but as i'm a delicate little flower i may get hurt :(
  • I think it depends on the gig.

I remember seeing a Damien Rice gig where he offered to refund the ticket money to the people who insisted on talking all the way through. Good on him

I'm seeing Midlake tonight and really hope I dont have any of those idiots near me
  • Had the very opposite experience last night. Done a gig at Essex Al's place...brilliant audience! No chatting and enthusiastic responses after every song. Cant wait for the next one...Thanks Al...
  • [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Had the very opposite experience last night. Done a gig at Essex Al's place...brilliant audience! No chatting and enthusiastic responses after every song. Cant wait for the next one...Thanks Al...

Pleasure to meet you Becks, you were brilliant, be in touch within the next day or so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Should never have been sports personality of the year.
  • [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]Just go and watch some of the bands i go to see you won't hear any anything but the music :)

For the benefit of anyone who doesn't know addick1965's tastes, his post should have read "music".

Just a friendly warning!