Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Claridge on Charlton........

edited February 2010 in General Charlton
What do you think is the problem at Charlton? At the start of the season we had a midfield who passed round teams for fun and, although we've not had one man scoring loads of goals, we've had plenty of players chipping in with them. But, just like two seasons ago when we were flying near the top of the Championship, we seem to have just stopped playing.
Gary, England

I've seen Charlton three times this season and they've been really really poor each time. They're obviously a lot better than that, but they haven't won in five games now.

Why have they started to struggle? Well, when you're chasing promotion and your results start to tail off, the crowd gets a bit restless because their expectations have been high.

All of a sudden, the players lose a bit of confidence, especially on the ball, and stop doing the things that made the team successful in the first place. I've seen it happen at other clubs and it becomes a bit of a vicious circle.

To snap out of it, you need to be strong and take a bit of criticism but stick to your values and be prepared to get the ball down and pass it.

It helps them that Leeds have been struggling, too, but Charlton have had the chance to close the gap on the front two in the last six weeks and haven't taken it. It is almost as if they don't believe they are going to get in the top two.

Maybe manager Phil Parkinson should try to freshen things up because a top-two placing is still within reach. In all honesty, they probably won't make it, but they will have a lot of time to get used to the fact that they will be in the play-offs.

Comments

• Options
    ....But the way we are stuttering, I really don't think we have the conviction of getting anywhere in the play offs.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Iv never liked Steve Claridge as a tv pundit, im sure he dislikes Charlton but he has a point. After the JJ loan signing I would go for this on sat
    [align=center]

Elliot
    Richardson Sodje Llera Semedo
    Bailey Jackson Shelvey Racon Reid
    Burton
    [/align]

This is a team that will surely score goals
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: choice TV[/cite]Iv never liked Steve Claridge as a tv pundit, im sure he dislikes Charlton but he has a point. After the JJ loan signing I would go for this on sat
    [div noWrap=false]

Elliot
    Burton
    [/div]

It will leak more
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: choice TV[/cite]Iv never liked Steve Claridge as a tv pundit, im sure he dislikes Charlton but he has a point. After the JJ loan signing I would go for this on sat
    [div style=text-align: center;]

Elliot
    Burton
    [/div]

Are you drunk? Semedo left back? Bailey right midfield? A left back in central midfield?

6 attacking players in the team and no defensive minded midfielder. Are you Ossie Ardiles?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom It will leak more

it will be so busy attacking it wont have a chance to worry about defending ;-D

I can dream....
  • Options
    Who is the left back in central midfield? If you are talking about Jackson according to the Notts County website he is a left midfield player who can play central midfield - no mention of him being a left back.
  • Options
    From the OS...

"John can play in midfield or left-back, but I have predominantly brought him in to play left-back."
  • Options
    [div style=text-align: center;]

Elliot
    Burton
    [/div]

EA Sports

It's in the game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jaire[/cite]Who is the left back in central midfield? If you are talking about Jackson according to the Notts County website he is a left midfield player who can play central midfield - no mention of him being a left back.

Well yes he can play left midfield but he's been signed as a left back, so he isn't going to playing centre mid.
  • Options
    Does that mean playing out of position then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Obviously not his regular or first-choice position. But I guess Jackson has said: ''I'll play anywhere, boss, if you'll just give me a chance''.

Which might just be the spirit and attitude to give us the lift we so desperately need at the moment...

Plus as Parky had him at Colchester he must be confident that he can play there and will do a better job at left-back than young Solly right now.
  • Options
    Plus as Jackson is more naturally a left midfielder, it should give us an attacking threat down that side that has been sorely missing since Youga got injured.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Plus as Jackson is more naturally a left midfielder, it should give us an attacking threat down that side that has been sorely missing since Youga got injured.

I remember Jackson as a midfielder and thought he was fairly good. Id rather see Richardson and Semedo at full back (whichever side) and Jackson as new meat in the midfield going forward but like you say he has probably been brought in to do a youga style job. Does this mean that he may not be starting Reid then if he plans to play an attacking left back?
  • Options
    although i find him boring but claridge has hit the nail on the head here

'To snap out of it, you need to be strong and take a bit of criticism but stick to your values and be prepared to get the ball down and pass it.'

This is what frustrates me more then most, as we keep lumping the ball forward. if we start playing on the deck our results will improve fact!
  • Options
    I dont think we have a cat in hells chance of thr play offs now.
  • Options
    This should probably be done in another thread but i'd go:

Elliott
    Richardson Dailly Sodje Jackson
    Sam Bailey Semedo Racon Reid
    Burton
  • Options
    He has a point, even if no one really likes him as a pundit.

We need to stop conceding, scoring goals isn't the main problem. We keep going 1-0 then have to break down a team trying to keep their lead.

Jackson's clearly here to play left back, we've missed Youga's ability to run with the ball which gets us further up the pitch, where the midfield is more dangerous.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]What do you think is the problem at Charlton? At the start of the season we had a midfield who passed round teams for fun and, although we've not had one man scoring loads of goals, we've had plenty of players chipping in with them. But, just like two seasons ago when we were flying near the top of the Championship, we seem to have just stopped playing.
    Gary, England

I've seen Charlton three times this season and they've been really really poor each time. They're obviously a lot better than that, but they haven't won in five games now.

Why have they started to struggle? Well, when you're chasing promotion and your results start to tail off, the crowd gets a bit restless because their expectations have been high.

All of a sudden, the players lose a bit of confidence, especially on the ball, and stop doing the things that made the team successful in the first place. I've seen it happen at other clubs and it becomes a bit of a vicious circle.

To snap out of it, you need to be strong and take a bit of criticism but stick to your values and be prepared to get the ball down and pass it.

It helps them that Leeds have been struggling, too, but Charlton have had the chance to close the gap on the front two in the last six weeks and haven't taken it. It is almost as if they don't believe they are going to get in the top two.

Maybe manager Phil Parkinson should try to freshen things up because a top-two placing is still within reach. In all honesty, they probably won't make it, but they will have a lot of time to get used to the fact that they will be in the play-offs.

I spoke to Steve about this and asked what he meant by "freshen things up". He said he meant Parky should play Sam up front.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]I dont think we have a cat in hells chance of thr play offs now.
    Lol. I do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]I dont think we have a cat in hells chance of thr play offs now.

Seconded.Hope i'm wrong,but Monday night was shameful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Come on now, surely that's a bit over the top. We obviously have a chance. Gillingham don't have a chance, Wycombe don't have a chance, but it's a bit much to say the team in fourth place don't have "a cat in hells chance" of making the top six.

Plus we're blatantly gonna win this league. This poor run is just Parky's way of throwing all the other teams off our scent, that's why Sam was grinning when he left the pitch on Monday - it was a case of mission accomplished.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]He has a point, even if no one really likes him as a pundit.

And he does have 20 years professional experience to base his opinions on.
    Which is more than most of us have, lol
  • Options
    For once I disagree with nss I think we'll make the play offs easily this is a pub league and as chuff as we have been recently we have enough to get in to the top 6 even with parky's ability of getting the worse out of players
  • Options
    Blimey Steve, I wish I had your faith that we'd make the top two ;- )
  • Options
    seen it too many times before ;-(
  • Options
    Charlton are known to start a season well and then tank during the second half when it counts most. I think for us to get promoted we need to start keeping clean sheets. The year Charlton got promoted to the Prem in 1999 , via the playoffs, we kept 9 straight clean sheets to end the season. NOW THATS PROMOTION FORM!!! Our team can bag goals but what Charlton needs are clean sheets.

Elliot, Richardson, Llera, Sodje, Jackson, Sam, Racon, Semedo, Bailey, Shelvey, Burton.
  • Options
    addick16 it was 1998 the play off success
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    EA Sports

It's in the game.

seconded
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]He has a point, even if no one really likes him as a pundit.

And he does have 20 years professional experience to base his opinions on.
    Which is more than most of us have, lol
    Though if he meant play Sam up front he hasn't really thought it through...