Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"Distraught" Kettle apologises for Basey blunder...

edited February 2010 in General Charlton
http://www.bexleytimes.co.uk/content/Charlton_Football_Club/

Comments

• Options
    bit ficking late now Trevor you doughnut munching twat!

My advice - have a salad and keep up with play
  • Options
    Fair play for coming out, more refs need to do this.
  • Options
    If they want to stay in the closet its their affair..
  • Options
    Just need Poll and the little bald tw*t to do the same now!
  • Options
    yeah fair play to him for coming out and apologising and asking how grant is!
  • Options
    All credit to Mr Kettle. Phoning Parky does a lot for the game.
  • Options
    Fair play to the ref. Shame Parky didn't get an apology for the blatant penalty he didn't award - the Bailey one...;)
  • Options
    Agreed he may have been gash but at least he is man enough to admit it unlike so many of the top refs
  • Options
    Pity the referee didn't follow his directive - a foul that endangers the safety of a player is serious foul play.

The laws of the game clearly state that serious foul play is a sending off offence.

If the referee hadn't been so hasty to bring out his yellow card, he could have sought the opinions of his assistants and fourth official, as the game was stopped for a lengthy period anyway as Basey was receiving on the field treatment.

He also mentions something on the lines that his decision was also influenced by the fact it was so early in the match.
  • Options
    Isn't it an absolute joke that nothing can be done to punish blizzard?

It's unbelievable that the FA can't ban Blizzard because techinically the referee has already seen and dealt with it. Even though the referee admits he was wrong, says he couldn't see it properly and says he's distraught over the decision.

I wonder whether Blizzard has bothered to apologise and find out how basey's doing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]Isn't it an absolute joke that nothing can be done to punish blizzard?

It's unbelievable that the FA can't ban Blizzard because techinically the referee has already seen and dealt with it. Even though the referee admits he was wrong, says he couldn't see it properly and says he's distraught over the decision.

I wonder whether Blizzard has bothered to apologise and find out how basey's doing.

Ah but then again he may end up suspended for games that we would rather he played in
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]Isn't it an absolute joke that nothing can be done to punish blizzard?

Yet on the other hand, a red card can be rescinded.
    Doesn't that also mean once a red card is given, techinically the referee has already seen and dealt with it....?

And if the referee admits he couldn't see the incident properly, he damns himself by not first seeking another opinion.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    on the video the foul looks as shocking as any angle which is why i did a freeze frame slow motion bit afterwards. Freeze the video on 4min 7secs and you can clearly see the referee has a clear view of the foul. Basically it was early and he wasnt on the ball or prepared to send off after 12 secs

There wasnt an ounce of remorse from the player and all right in front of the charlton supporters. Had it of been millwall i wouldnt of been surprised to see it kick off and i was very surprised at the lack of emotion shown by any charlton player to the foul
  • Options
    That one decision could have changed the game, cost us points and with it promotion.
    They have to start using video technology to review these incidents straight after they occur.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: choice TV[/cite]on thevideothe foul looks as shocking as any angle which is why i did a freeze frame slow motion bit afterwards. Check out the freeze frame on the video at 4min 47secs and you can clearly see the referee has a clear view of the foul.

There wasnt an ounce of remorse from the player and all right in front of the charlton supporters. Had it of been millwall i wouldnt of been surprised to see it kick off and i was very surprised at the lack of emotion shown by any charlton player to the foul

that's the point I made on another thread, if that had been on a player in my sunday side all hell would've broke loose
  • Options
    Saw the foul clearly and the lot of us knew he'd broke or seriously damaged something, then the twet who done it was just walking off having a laugh.. probably because he got away with it.

Apologising is all well and good to the boss, but he should get the dirty cnt banned for a few games for a tackle like that, then personally visit Basey with an apology card.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    if that had been on a player in my sunday side all hell would've broke loose

too right.

If that was one of my Sunday players i would have been straight in there, making sure i got his subs before he was carted off in an ambulance !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Pity the referee didn't follow his directive - a foul that endangers the safety of a player is serious foul play.

The laws of the game clearly state that serious foul play is a sending off offence.

If the referee hadn't been so hasty to bring out his yellow card, he could have sought the opinions of his assistants and fourth official, as the game was stopped for a lengthy period anyway as Basey was receiving on the field treatment.

He also mentions something on the lines that his decision was also influenced by the fact it was so early in the match.

Come off it Oggy, if he was sure it was yellow at the time, why would he confer? You'd have them all having a little huddle on every decision just to make sure they got a consensus; which still may be wrong.

He is also being paraphrased by Parkinson and a journo, so your last point don't count!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    if that had been on a player in my sunday side all hell would've broke loose

too right.

If that was one of my Sunday players i would have been straight in there, making sure i got his subs before he was carted off in an ambulance !

He's not lying there I tell you!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Come off it Oggy, if he was sure it was yellow at the time, why would he confer?

We need a fundamental change in the way pro games are refereed, given that TV is now available at very game.

The 4th officials role needs to be upgraded. He will be in touch with the ref by radio, and have a video screen in front of him. In the case of the Basey tackle, Kettle will wait for literally one second, and thenn will hear in his ear "looks nasty that Trevor, hold on....oh thats a straight red"

Simples, as I believe we all now say

PS. Fair play as others have said to Kettle. Impressive, actually. Just makes me more clear that the system rather than individual refs needs to radically improve.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Come off it Oggy, if he was sure it was yellow at the time, why would he confer?

We need a fundamental change in the way pro games are refereed, given that TV is now available at very game.

The 4th officials role needs to be upgraded. He will be in touch with the ref by radio, and have a video screen in front of him. In the case of the Basey tackle, Kettle will wait for literally one second, and thenn will hear in his ear "looks nasty that Trevor, hold on....oh thats a straight red"

Exactly. And in situations like that it's not as if you even need to hold the game up as invariably you're waiting for the sinned against player to be treated/stretchered off.
    A replay could be watched, a decision made, referee told and the player sent off before Basey had even got off the pitch.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]

Exactly. And in situations like that it's not as if you even need to hold the game up as invariably you're waiting for the sinned against player to be treated/stretchered off.
    A replay could be watched, a decision made, referee told and the player sent off before Basey had even got off the pitch.

Come off it Oggy or not, Ash Tray ........ The referee was reported as saying he didn't have a clear view of the incident, yet didn't pause for a second before showing the yellow card. So his instant yellow card was based on what, if he couldn't see the incident clearly?

My point that Kettle didn't need to make such a hasty decision was based on the fact that it was evident to the whole stadium that Basey was hurt badly - and the trainer was already running on to the field.

Especially as he said he didn't have a clear view of the incident, the referee had ample opportunity to take his time and seek opinion from his assistant or 4th official before taking action - the game was already stopped and it was obvious it couldn't be restarted for some time.

Prague Addick expands the point, suggesting that it would take only small commonsense changes to impliment as standard. And Chris from Sidcup sums it up too.
  • Options
    Not getting into the refferee debate but wasn't it a shocker....made me wince I can tell ya!
  • Options

Totally agree
  • Options
    Glad to know he admits his mistakes and with that endorses a suspension for a few weeks. Terrible referee, will never make the EPL.