Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southend players still haven't been paid

Looking ahead to Friday's game, I see that Southend's players still haven't received their wages for January. Obviously this suggests they are teetering on the brink of administration, but I'm wondering what effect it might have on their players if they'll haven't been paid by Friday's game (ie a whole month late getting their wages)? How would it affect your performance at work if your company was over a month late paying you? Will they think sod it I can't be arsed and put the minimum effort, or will they consider every game now a chance to put themselves in the shop window for a move to a club that might be able to pay them?

EDIT: Removed mention of game being on Sky. It's not. OS confused me by talking about the Bristol Rovers game during a news piece about the Southend game which I read when quite drunk.

Comments

• Options
    They might refuse to play awarding us 3 points!
  • Options
    Is it on TV then?
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    On TV? When did this happen? I thought the game was moved due to an over cautious police force.
  • Options
    No
    Ha ha.
  • Options
    Not really comparable I know but look at the reaction of the palace players in the FA cup game against Villa, they played their socks off. Only to lose each game since. I dunno, I reckon we should win it regardless of the financial situation of the club.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It all depends on the attitude of the club to the unpaid wages.

If they've taken the trouble to regularly update and communicate with the players then chances are they will give their all. On the other hand, as can happen with employers, if they see reason to speak to the minions then the minions may not feel as inclined to put it in.
  • Options
    My mistake. It saw it mentioned on the OS story about Southend tickets that the match was being screened on Sky, but on closer inspection they are referring to the Bristol Rovers game. Why they mention that in a story about the Southend game, I've no idea, but they got me properly confused, damned OS.

The main thrust of my question still stands - do you think the fact they haven't been paid will have a negative effect on Southend players' performance.
  • Options
    It has to, surely. It's a situation that's been dragging on for a while now, there has to be so much that pure team spirit can do regarding elevating the spirit and camaraderie of the player in desperate times.
  • Options
    Regardless of whether they've been paid or not they haven't kept a clean sheet since October and haven't won in 2010 so we really should be looking to get 3 points from this game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They will be too busy chasing Nicky Bailey all over the place trying to kick the sh*t out of him. That should be enough to distract them while we net a few.
  • Options
    This will be my first away game this season, I really hope we get a result, there weren't too many last season.