Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

60,000 + ATTENDANCES

edited February 2010 in General Charlton
Prior to the redevelopment of Old Trafford a few years back, can anyone tell me the last top flight attendance that had over 60,000 fans?
seem to recall an Arsenal / Liverpool match in the 80's, but am sure you guys can come up with a definitive answer

Comments

• Options
    I always thought that Arsenal hadn't beaten the attendance at the FA Cup match in 1969 against Charlton until they left Highbury.
  • Options
    Arsenal 2-0 Sunderland
    20th Feb 2010 - 60,083
  • Options
    Also Old Trafford has been 60,000+ since 2000!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Prior to the redevelopment of Old Trafford a few years back, can anyone tell me the last top flight attendance that had over 60,000 fans?
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]Arsenal 2-0 Sunderland
    20th Feb 2010 - 60,083
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]Also Old Trafford has been 60,000+ since 2000!

I don't think you understood his question!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I remember going to the old Highbury (as a guest) a couple of times when the Arse played Liverpool in a quater final of the league cup in the late 80's and a FA Cup replay with West Ham around the same time with the attendance close to 60,000 but not the league!

I had never seen the clock end so packed for the visit of West Ham must have been at least 15,000 on that terrace??
  • Options
    So you mean prior to the new millennium!
  • Options
    Yes - I just want to know when the last 60k + attendance was before Old Trafford and Emirates had their current capacity.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Yes - I just want to know when the last 60k + attendance was before Old Trafford and Emirates had their current capacity.

tried to look it up but would have to go thru all my Rothmans.

Could have been at Maine Rd and would most likely have been pre-Hillsborough (89) or just after.

My guess would have been, other than cup semi-finals or replays it would have been early 70s.