Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A few things Sarfend are saying about us....

2»

Comments

• Options
    "COME ON THE BLUES. If we play like we did yesterday we'll cain FARTON PATHETIC. They are playing absolute ***** at the moment, but the difference is (i've been to a few of their games as my housemate is a life-long fan,) they don't seem to care."

You can ignore that comment, it's from my stupid ginger housemate who must have seen Southend play about 8 times in his life. He came up with "Farton Pathetic" all by himself", his mother is so proud. The reason he's been to our games is because he only decided last December he wanted to start following football so I took him to a few games. He chose to support Southend over us.

I would say that he's dodged a bullet, but seeing the inanity of his comment I think it us who have dodged it.
  • Options
    . They are playing absolute ***** at the moment, but the difference is (i've been to a few of their games as my housemate is a life-long fan,) they don't seem to care.

Sadly true.
  • Options
    The only good thing about the away end is that there is literally no leg room to sit down unless you are under 5ft 4 so we will all be standing anyway. :-D
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Frank Butcher[/cite]The only good thing about the away end is that there is literally no leg room to sit down unless you are under 5ft 4 AFKA so we will all be standing anyway. :-D
  • Options
    Bailey joined a club 10 times the size of Southend in 2008.
    And their fans are still crying over it now.

Sums them up as a club really.
    Small, and overly excited.
  • Options
    Mate all due respect but charlton are hardly big fry. I mean how many empty seats are there at the valley these days? It wasnt long ago that charlton were begging the hammers to ground share and were in real trouble themselves. Yes you have been in the premier league and held your own, but your not premier league anymore and the chances are you may be league 1 for a while , so the chip on your shoulder aint really gonna help you.

You only have to look at leeds for that. They are twice the size of charlton and are still not certain of going back up this season. They have lost that were bigger than you menatality and are getting a lot more respect because of it.

Southend arent the biggest club in this division , but we are not the worst supported. We have an 8k average which considering the season we are having is still good for league 1. We are still hopefull of getting our new 22k stadium underway by the summer as roots hall only hold 11,300odd.

You have to earn respect in this division and we are bigger than you will just see you get beat by the likes of brighton at home.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To be honest most of the pops have been in response to the drivel written about us!

Wouldn't have dreamed of even talking about a nice club like Sarfend myself!

Tell me something interesting Shrimperama... as a Leyton boy myself... do you lot hate Orient or can't you be bothered with them? Used to go down there quite a bit and they didn't half look for some "strange" rivals (Yourselves, Northampton etc)
  • Options
    Werer do theyt get their fans from i have on good authority that Southend fans dont exist :-) they arre just all West ham fans who go to two games a week. Sounds quality to me jsut a shame Southend have no fans of their own. What will they do when in the same league as West Ham they will have no one. Mid you that probably wont ever happen.
  • Options
    I think the rivalry with the o's comes from the fact the most people from that neck of the woods now live in essex same as the hammers. Plus they always bring a poor support to us in the league and then try to start fights at which point they come well unstuck. TBH i dislike orient more than i do colchester. Its a strange one a bit like gillinghams dislike for you.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shrimperama[/cite]I think the rivalry with the o's comes from the fact the most people from that neck of the woods now live in essex same as the hammers. Plus they always bring a poor support to us in the league and then try to start fights at which point they come well unstuck. TBH i dislike orient more than i do colchester. Its a strange one a bit like gillinghams dislike for you.

Fair play, never spoken to a Sarfend fan before so haven't ever found out. I suppose it's one of those lower division anomalies where you for donkeys years have noone to "hate". Their die-hards would envisage a hatred for West Ham. The truth is West Ham fans make up about 10-15% of their gates, with Spurs even more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Werer do theyt get their fans from i have on good authority that Southend fans dont exist :-) they arre just all West ham fans who go to two games a week. Sounds quality to me jsut a shame Southend have no fans of their own. What will they do when in the same league as West Ham they will have no one. Mid you that probably wont ever happen.[/quote]

We have our own fans. Our support went right down from the late 60's right the way down to the 90's. During the 50's and 60's we would regularly get 20k+ for league games. Recently that has started to rise again , but with only 9,000 home seats we can never be anything at roots hall hence why we are trying to move.

As for west ham they have there own fans and we have ours, although im sure there are a few who go to both or now come to watch us as a cheaper more local option. Southend's catchment is huge and we should be getting 10,000+ for this division, but roots hall is run down and the facilitlies and the football have both been shit.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: shrimperama[/cite]Mate all due respect but charlton are hardly big fry. I mean how many empty seats are there at the valley these days? It wasnt long ago that charlton were begging the hammers to ground share and were in real trouble themselves. Yes you have been in the premier league and held your own, but your not premier league anymore and the chances are you may be league 1 for a while , so the chip on your shoulder aint really gonna help you.

You only have to look at leeds for that. They are twice the size of charlton and are still not certain of going back up this season. They have lost that were bigger than you menatality and are getting a lot more respect because of it.

Southend arent the biggest club in this division , but we are not the worst supported. We have an 8k average which considering the season we are having is still good for league 1. We are still hopefull of getting our new 22k stadium underway by the summer as roots hall only hold 11,300odd.

You have to earn respect in this division and we are bigger than you will just see you get beat by the likes of brighton at home.

When Nicky Bailey joined us he was joining a team that was fancied to reach the premier league again, with crowds of 20,000+. I'm sure he also got a better contract, as well as more exposure. We're set up with a good ground and good facilities too. The fact that we're in league one now has nothing whatsoever to do with the decision he made in 2008 to join us.

We might be playing in league one for a while, but nicky bailey won't be. He'll be playing in the Championship with or without us next year. He could have kicked up a fuss and got himself a transfer away from the valley and away from league one last summer but he didn't.

As a football decision, leaving southend for charlton in 2008 made total sense. To be honest, it would make pretty good sense now.

On top of everything else, bailey doesn't have to play on a friday night every other week anymore, just to cater for west ham fans... ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shrimperama[/cite]Mate all due respect but charlton are hardly big fry. I mean how many empty seats are there at the valley these days? It wasnt long ago that charlton were begging the hammers to ground share and were in real trouble themselves. Yes you have been in the premier league and held your own, but your not premier league anymore and the chances are you may be league 1 for a while , so the chip on your shoulder aint really gonna help you.
    It wasn't long ago? It was twenty years ago!
  • Options
    The way Baileys playing at the moment he wont be going anywhere!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shrimperama[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Werer do theyt get their fans from i have on good authority that Southend fans dont exist :-) they arre just all West ham fans who go to two games a week. Sounds quality to me jsut a shame Southend have no fans of their own. What will they do when in the same league as West Ham they will have no one. Mid you that probably wont ever happen.

We have our own fans. Our support went right down from the late 60's right the way down to the 90's. During the 50's and 60's we would regularly get 20k+ for league games. Recently that has started to rise again , but with only 9,000 home seats we can never be anything at roots hall hence why we are trying to move.

As for west ham they have there own fans and we have theres, although im sure there are a few who go to both or now come to watch us as a cheaper more local option. Southend's catchment is huge and we should be getting 10,000+ for this division, but roots hall is run down and the facilitlies and the football have both been shit.

Yea i can understand that mate. I must apologise to you as i (like most CAFC fans) have never talked football with a Southend fan (who diddnt truly follow West ham anyway) so its all abit of a learning curb for me tonight am well looking forward to it though what does Roots Hall Sell oout at mate?
  • Options
    My point was people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones. Things seem to go full circle. Look at portsmouth as an example im sure plenty were jealous a few seasons ago and now look at them. Likewise with leeds when they were playing champions league. Bradford were playing premier league and are now an average league 2 side.

Anything is possible in football.

As for Bailey. Southend united have never stood in anyones way to better themselves eastwood barnard etc but there is a time and a place to do business and he was just a complete prick about it, and thats why he is hated not just because he left. Players leave every club. Eastwood would get a heroes welcome as would collymore my personal favourite chrissy powell got a fantastic reception on his return.

And on the subject of friday night football. We have had friday night football for as long as i can remember. Its just a southend thing. Even if the hammers are home or away the next day.
  • Options
    Roots hall officially holds 12,500 all seated , but with segregation its more like 11,300 odd. We got 11,700 against yeovil a few years back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shrimperama[/cite]
    As for Bailey. Southend united have never stood in anyones way to better themselves eastwood barnard etc but there is a time and a place to do business and he was just a complete prick about it, and thats why he is hated not just because he left. Players leave every club. Eastwood would get a heroes welcome as would collymore my personal favourite chrissy powell got a fantastic reception on his return.

And on the subject of friday night football. We have had friday night football for as long as i can remember. Its just a southend thing. Even if the hammers are home or away the next day.

Your post before made it sound like you were suggesting he shouldn't have wanted to leave southend for charlton, because of where we are now. That's what i couldn't agree with. Disliking him for not going about it the right way is a different argument. Scott Parker wasn't popular with us when he left for Chelsea because of the timing and the way he acted - but charlton fans wouldnt argue that he was wrong to want to play for chelsea.