Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who's that MAN going to be?

edited February 2010 in General Charlton
Phil Parkinson's rallying call:

"It might be Lloyd Sam scoring three or four goals before the end of the season, it might be Miguel Llera or Sam Sodje notching from a set-piece. The real cutting edge part of the season is upon us, so we need all the cutting-edge players to come to the fore."

We're looking for people to stand up to the plate again,” he said. "We're looking for some inspirational performances. We don't want players looking around waiting for someone else to do it - we want someone to say 'I'm going to be the man'.

So then, who do you think is "going to be the man"... because, quite frankly, I haven't got a clue!

Comments

• We need a good team performance. If that happens there will be one or two that stand out as "the man".
  • If anyone will have to be Bailey
  • Bailey should have a good opportunity tonight. He'll get loads of grief for leaving Roots Hall. Lets hope that fires him up.
  • To win games a side needs to have at least 7 players to have a good game. The last 2 months i think we have averaged about 3.
  • What worries me about Bailey is him trying to do too much. He's been trying to spray the ball around for a few games now and keeps getting it wrong. I remember he tried a few passes he shouldn't have when we played Southend at home. Just needs to play his game and not try and be a player he's not.
  • Got to agree Sco. Bailey at home to Swindon was the only player getting the ball down and playing it nicely into burtons feet. Looked a cut above everybody else on the pitch.
  • jonjo get him back in and let him play with freedom.
  • edited February 2010
    Scoham/johhnybev - I agree.

Bailey is trying to be too fancy of late: Floating little dinky balls out to the wings that either go straight off the pitch or straight to the opposition.

He's not that type of player, he needs to get back to his tackling, running, give-and-go football (with a shot on the end of it).

Then he may just be the MAN again and might just influence those around him, in other words give a Captains performance for 90 mins, which he hasn't done for some time.
  • [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]Phil Parkinson's rallying call:

"We're looking for people to stand up to the plate again,” he said.

Glad to see that we're taking no nonsense from the plate.

Pedantic, I know, but, if people have to use Americanisms, it might be nice if they got the expressions right. I'd be happy to see people step up to the plate, or even stand up and be counted ... but stand up to the plate? Hmm.

Can we improve on motivational Phil's use of American English?

Let me get off the starting base (or should that be first grid?) by suggesting that "Life is not a bowl of roses and, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the diner."
  • Ha, ha, as a fellow pedant can I say I thoroughly agree with Dave Rudd...

I also wondered what this ''notching'' is that Parky wants Llera and Sam Sodje to do. Sounds like the sort of thing John Terry and Ashley Cole get up to in their spare time!
  • Sponsored links:

• Notching is OK. Goalscorers regularly notch ... especially in the onion bag.

Got another one ... "Wake up and smell the tea".
  • Cometh the hour cometh the man !.......What time is it ?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    Got another one ... "Wake up and smell the tea".[/quote]

I always liked ''shutting the horse's mouth after the stable door has been bolted''...
  • That man is :-

***************** KYEL REID ******************

Tik a boo Kyel !
  • akpo will keep scoring......
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]Phil Parkinson's rallying call:

"We're looking for people to stand up to the plate again,” he said.

Glad to see that we're taking no nonsense from the plate.

LMAO.

That's all you needed to say Dave.
  • Akpo Eusebio is obviously the man