Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

1966 World cup semi Finals

Yo, just been watching a short bit of footage on espn classic, showing the semi finals, one was england v portugal at wemberlee, the other was Gerry v someone else at liverpool, thing is, i didnt recognise the stadium, didnt look like anfield or goodison!! Any old timers out there hazard a guess where it was staged???

Ta

Comments

• Options
    If there were semi-circles behind the goals it would have been Goodison.
    (Don't think Anfield was used).
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Goodison. Between two teams that no longer exist!

The two semis were supposed to be in Liverpool. One at Goodison, the other at Anfield. England kicked up a fuss and switched our semi to Wembley. Meanwhile the West Germans beat USSR in the final.
  • Options
    Yeah, thats answered that then. Cheers moggy you old (ish) timer you ;-)
  • Options
    The Goimans beat the Ruskies 2-1 at Goodison...
  • Options
    Yeah thats it, gerry v ruskies!!!

Just didn't look like goodison!! The semi circle things behind the goals made it look well different!! Didn't look blue either!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Goodison. Between two teams that no longer exist!

The two semis were supposed to be in Liverpool. One at Goodison, the other at Anfield. England kicked up a fuss and switched our semi to Wembley. Meanwhile the West Germans beat USSR in the final.
    Anfield wasn't used or even considered for the 1966 World Cup, the semi finals were a straight switch between Goodison and Wembley...
  • Options
    The semi circles behind the goals were there for the away supporters to put their hubcaps til the end of the match.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]The semi circles behind the goals were there for the away supporters to put their hubcaps til the end of the match.[/quote]

Think it was more a case of putting the goalie out of range of coins, darts and possibly hubcaps....!

I make it 4 of the grounds used in the 1966WC are no longer with us, The White City, Roker, Ayresome and the Old Wembley. Never mind 1966, after Sir Clives show in 1998 no one could follow that, they had to start again.
  • Options
    Which four grounds used in 1966 are on the shortlist for 2018?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Goodison. Between two teams that no longer exist!

Anfield wasn't used or even considered for the 1966 World Cup, the semi finals were a straight switch between Goodison and Wembley...
    Easy mistake, if you look at this...
    1966 Semi Final venues
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henry Irving
    1966 Villa,Man u,Sheff Wed,Everton and 2018.
    Other 1966 grounds Middlesbrough ,Sunderland,Wembley and White City France played Uruguay while Wembley held greyhound meeting.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen the official story of the 1966 World Cup called "GOAL!"?

Really good watch, especially the North Koreans arriving at Middlesbrough and the locals calling them by their adopted name of "us"....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]Has anyone seen the official story of the 1966 World Cup called "GOAL!"?

Really good watch, especially the North Koreans arriving at Middlesbrough and the locals calling them by their adopted name of "us"....

I saw it at the time and then it was a real novelty to watch football in colour rather than black and white. In fact "Goal" could well have been the first football filmed in colour although I don't know that definitively.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]Has anyone seen the official story of the 1966 World Cup called "GOAL!"?

I remember seeing this at the cinema when it came out. It was not just the colour that was a novelty but the slow motion effects. In fact, I would say that a lot of the images and memories I still have from the 1966 World Cup were instilled by that film. If I remember correctly, the film was not just about the football, it was also very evocative of England, and London, at that specific period in the mid sixties.

After reading this thread early in the week I decided I would try and get a copy on DVD but could not track one down.