Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

One Foot in the Grave

Michael Foot RIP

Comments

• Options
    Your complete lack of respect for the man beggars belief. If you're reading this Michael, I'm sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Your complete lack of respect for the man beggars belief. If you're reading this Michael, I'm sorry for your loss.

im confused. How can he be reading this?
  • Options
    And while we are at it, Macclesfield Town manager Keith Alexander has died at the age of 53, the club have announced.

Alexander, described by Town as a 'splendid man', passed away after returning home from Tuesday night's match at Notts County.

The thoughts of the League Two club and the entire football world are now with Alexander's family.

A statement from the club said on Wednesday: "It is our sad duty to report that Keith Alexander passed away today after arriving home from Macclesfield Town's game at Notts County last night.

"Keith was a splendid man. He will be sorely missed at the Moss Rose and by everyone involved in football.

"Our thoughts and sympathies are with his family at this very difficult time."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Your complete lack of respect for the man beggars belief. If you're reading this Michael, I'm sorry for your loss.

I think Morti is making a joke.

Alan Brazil said something similar when John Thaw died.

He kept calling him John Shaw (I think) on air and when it was pointed out said "If you're listening John, I'm sorry".
  • Options
    OOPS didn't see the post below.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]

I think Morti is making a joke.

Alan Brazil said something similar when John Thaw died.

He kept calling him John Shaw (I think) on air and when it was pointed out said "If you're listening John, I'm sorry".

okay... one that went right over my head... i was thinking his response was v OTT! phew.
  • Options
    Banged to rights. Brazil's obits are the stuff of legend. Still I guess that's what happens if you're pissed and on the radio.

AH'VE HURD TWO VERSIONS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC2vprpDtY0
  • Options
    I don't believe it!
  • Options
    A real loss. Most of the criticism of Foot was about how he wasn't polished enough and essentially followed policy that were in line with his beliefs, rather than what he'd imagine that the electorate might like to hear. After experiencing Blair with his polished, opinion poll politics, you can appreciate where the likes of Foot and Thatcher somewhat more than you did at the time.

There was an interesting piece in Newswipe the other week about Roy Jenkins, and specifically how he advance gay rights: something that none of the media, most "public opinion" and even a bit of his own party didn't agree with at the time, but he risked his own position at the time to do what he felt was right. Now the media, the majority of the public and any political party wouldn't dream of requesting a repeal of these advances. Sorry, I've regressed from an RIP for Michael Foot, to a general RIP for politics, which has turned into some kind of X Factor in which idiots can influence policies that they don't properly understand, on a whim.