Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jimmy Greaves Was he that good ?

Just a ? was he that good i can just rememeber is seeing him on the Big Match but he may have been at end of his playing days.looking in the sun today his record for England was bang on

Can anyone on here remember seeing him play....play against us ? was he that good and who played like him in recent years.?..i guess if he was as good as his record he would be on £120,000 a week now !

Comments

• Options
    not as Good as chris dickson obviously.

Great anticipation and just passed the ball into the net most of the time.

As a finisher few if any were better hence his stats.
  • Options
    Yes he was that good, look at his record for team and country. Only an injury kept him out of 66, he was a true goal machine he would be worth 40million of anyones money in todays market, yes he liked a steak and a drink and sadly the latter took its toll later on but he is without doubt one of this countries greatest forwards up there with lineker shearer hurst etc..
  • Options
    yes very very very good imo
  • Options
    Didnt he have a spell in Italy, something like a goal a game but didnt stay?
    Anyone know why?
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Absolutely top drawer...I know I saw him play (not against us I may add) but for the life of me I can't think where or when?
  • Options
    Obviously was never old enough to see him play but have watched enough of him on video and DVD over the years to know he was one of the most prolific goal scorers that Spurs ever had on their books.

Remember seeing an interview with Bill Nicholson many moons ago, talking about signing Jimmy from AC Milan. Bill Nicholson refused to pay £100,000 for him as he didnt want to be the first manager to buy a player for such an obscene amount of money and didnt want Jimmy to have the added pressure of being the first ever £100,000 player. So they agreed a transfer fee of £99,999. Interesting piece of trivia that for a friday morning ;-)
  • Options
    He was at his absolute peak in the 60s with Spurs, but not making the final in 66 hit him hard and his drinking got worse, by he time he signed for West Ham at the same time as Martin Peters went to Spurs he was an alcoholic, but at his peak he was a lethal finisher, if he were playing today he would go for 50 million plus, he was that good.
  • Options
    Like others in the England 66 squad , Bobby Moore ( Fulham ) , Martin Peters ( Sheffield United ) my only direct experience of Greaves was when he was past his best and in his case he was at Barnet in non league football.

Although quite a few levels below where he made his name , if my memory is not playing tricks he reverted to central midfield and showed he could play effectively in that position and not just score goals as a poacher .

This was a few years after he left West Ham and during his battle with alcohol.
  • Options
    My Grandad was born and bred Tottenham (used to go Spurs when there was one stand and rope around the rest of the pitch.

He first saw Greavsie play for Essex Schoolboys at West Ham and he said he was the greatest striker he'd ever seen.

Just a shame he succumed to the drink.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]not as Good as chris dickson obviously.

Great anticipation and just passed the ball into the net most of the time.

As a finisher few if any were better hence his stats.[/quote]

As someone who was, as a boy, taken to see Tottenham one week and Charlton the next (why I ultimately opted for the Addicks I'll never know) I can confirm that, in the modern era and in Division 3, Greavesy would have struggled to fill Dicko's boots.

Of his time, though, he was the best around, not just in terms of his finishing but also in terms of his turn of pace and ability to glide past defenders as if they weren't there.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jYTLfukNUg&feature=related

Watch his goal from 1.02 mins
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Obviously was never old enough to see him play but have watched enough of him on video and DVD over the years to know he was one of the most prolific goal scorers that Spurs ever had on their books.

Remember seeing an interview with Bill Nicholson many moons ago, talking about signing Jimmy from AC Milan. Bill Nicholson refused to pay £100,000 for him as he didnt want to be the first manager to buy a player for such an obscene amount of money and didnt want Jimmy to have the added pressure of being the first ever £100,000 player. So they agreed a transfer fee of £99,999. Interesting piece of trivia that for a friday morning ;-)

Apparantly Trevor Francis move to Forest from Brum was for £999,999 for similar reasons but they always class it as the first million pound transfer.Also Malcolm Macdonalds move to the Gooners from the Geordies in the 70s was for £333,333.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Also Malcolm Macdonalds move to the Gooners from the Geordies in the 70s was for £333,333.

Presumably Macca didnt want the pressure of being a 333,334 pound player?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jYTLfukNUg&feature=related

Obviously brilliantly taken but he turned slower than Phil Chapple when he first received the ball!!
  • Options
    He was ok with Ian St John playing the straight role, but he couldn't do it on his own.
  • Options
    He was in many ways similar to Stuart Leary and Sir Clive of Mendonca in his style of play and finishing skills....not blood, power and thunder................ more class and silky skills.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jYTLfukNUg&feature=related

Obviously brilliantly taken but he turned slower than Phil Chapple when he first received the ball!!

To be fair, it was an awkward height ball that Greavsie received.

But he took it down and shielded it well - maybe he would have been closed down quicker today, but vitally he created space for himself and accelerated away with superb control and composure.

You see, along with having a superb touch on the ball, Greavsie's main asset was mental strength - his concentration, anticipation, awareness and reading of the game was total.

He wrote in his autobiography that at the final whistle he used to come off the park with a headache, because he concentrated so intensly ..... "I might not get many touches on the ball, but I knew that if I was alert enough to get one chance maybe in the 89th minute - that could be the winner. And my job was done".

He played the game in his head continuously for the full 90 minutes.

Maybe, he had very little involvement on the ball compared to others but his goals were crucial and his team knew that.
    Clive Allen a generation later, scoring 49 goals in a season, was a similar type of player.

You could imagine the abuse Jimmy Greaves would get at The Valley, if he were a Charlton player today...... he'd be accused of lazy, bad attitude because he didn't chase lost causes and never seemed to be involved.

And booed, lol

But then he wouldn't be picked in the first place, because today he'd be deemed a luxury player who didn't have an all round game. Which is quite likely the reason Sir Alf Ramsey left him out of the later stages of the 1966 World Cup finals.
  • Options
    YES -- He was the best finisher and only injury and bad luck kept him from playing in the world cup final.
  • Options
    I saw him play for Spurs and England. He was absolutely the best goalscorer I ever saw. If he was around today I'm sure he'd be just as good - if not better because of the improved fitness etc now required.
    He'd score wherever, whenver he played, ask the Chelsea, Milan and Spurs fans.
    Absolute legend.

I also liked, Alan Gilzean, his main playing partner at Spurs.Even at his peak he looked like my grandad but he could play a bit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]Didnt he have a spell in Italy, something like a goal a game but didnt stay?
    Anyone know why?

Scored something like 9 in 12 for AC Milan.
  • Options
    I never saw him play but his record suggests that he was one of the all time greats for England, so to answer your question, yes.

Wonder if people will think the same about Peter Crouch in 40 years time?!
  • Options
    Yes.

It is invidious comparing players from different eras in many ways but the ability to put the ball in the old onion bag is priceless and Greaves undoubtedly had that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]Didnt he have a spell in Italy, something like a goal a game but didnt stay?
    Anyone know why?

Scored something like 9 in 12 for AC Milan.

But was he as good as Luther Blissett?!!
  • Options
    Yes he was that good.People forget he started out at Chelsea no one could touch him.Had he not got injured in group game against France in 66 world cup would have played in the final.As it was acertain Geoff Hurst replaced him againest Argentina and England never looked back.
  • Options
    Quite simply yes.
    Perhaps the finest box centre forward we have ever produced postwar.
    I still think that George Best was the greatest striker from that era, despite his known personnal issues.

There are some players that are so special that there gift to play natural football transends normal player expectations.
    Personally speaking we never value our truly great players, we always look for flaws in there talent and ability, yet abroad they are seen as gods!
  • Options
    Chelsea.124 goals in 157 matches
    Spurs , 220 goals in 321 matches
    west ham 13 goals in 36 matches
    He also scored 35 fa cup goals ,7goals in the league cup ,10 goalsin the european cup winners cup,3 goals in the inter-cities fairs cup ,2 goals in the fa charity shield and 9 goals in 14 league appearances for AC Milan making 423goalsscored.Also in representative football was 67 goals ,including 44 goals for full England.
    His last match was against Feyenoord at White Hart Lane on tuesday 17 oct 1972.
  • Options
    Also after becoming an alcoholic has now been sober for many years so respect to him for that.

We've seen with Best and Gascoigne how difficult that can be.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Also after becoming an alcoholic has now been sober for many years so respect to him for that.

We've seen with Best and Gascoigne how difficult that can be.

And what a wicked sense of humour he has.
    I'll never forget an edition of Saint & Greavsie when he was standing on the ramparts of Edinburgh Castle, a puff of wind got up and blew his hat off right over the parapet...."Oh me 'at." He cried out.....Saint almost died laughing and they couldn't continue with the live piece they were doing.....one of the funniest moments I've ever witnessed on TV and a moment that will live with me (I hope) for ever. Like a lot of things it doesn't sound that funny in the telling....you simply had to have witnessed it at the precise moment it happened and seen the look on Greavsies face to appreciate it.
    God was it funny...absolutely priceless!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]Chelsea.124 goals in 157 matches
    Spurs , 220 goals in 321 matches
    west ham 13 goals in 36 matches
    He also scored 35 fa cup goals ,7goals in the league cup ,10 goalsin the european cup winners cup,3 goals in the inter-cities fairs cup ,2 goals in the fa charity shield and 9 goals in 14 league appearances for AC Milan making 423goalsscored.Also in representative football was 67 goals ,including 44 goals for full England.
    His last match was against Feyenoord at White Hart Lane on tuesday 17 oct 1972.

I dunno why, but i always think less of stats from 30/40+ years ago. Was the game 'easier' back then?

Those stats are rediculous tho.