Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advice please - which new laptop?

Appreciate any input from those 'in the know'. I run my own business, and use a laptop as my main PC. Have had a Dell Latitude for four years now, which is pretty slow and clunky at times, so it's about time I got a new one.

Key requirements are:

- multi-tasking across different apps (but work-related - not gaming etc)
- long battery life
- lightweight/ easy to stick in a bag and carry around
- heavy duty ie not going to be damaged if bashed about a bit when travelling
- looks good/ big screen for presenting to clients

I'm thnking HP or possibly Sony - not about cheap, more concerned with reliability.

I get very confused when I start to look at all the different model options - any advice would be very welcome.

I imagine it will be Windows 7 too, so any thoughts on that useful as well.

Comments

• Options
    Sony Vaio ... had a few models over the years and all are excellent.
  • Options
    have had toshiba ones for a few years now and never had a problem with any of them
  • Options
    +1 Sony Vaio. The best there is.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sonys are excellent but tend to be a bit pricy

as an alternative you might look at Acer timeline series, 6 hours battery life just over 2k weight, they do a single core with 3 gig ram version which is under £400 or a dual core with 4 gigs of ram version for about £700.

One I wouldn't get at the moment is Dell, have had three at work and they've all had problems after about 18 months

Get any windows OS but Vista.
  • Options
    Never had the cash for a Sony Vaio, but those I know who have always recommend them highly. I managed to fry the motherboard on my last Toshiba, but that was largely down to me mistreating the poor thing - my Dad has the self same model and it's been fine.
  • Options
    main problem with Sony is there support (as well as inflated cost), and don't even bother after the warranty runs out, they also don't support upgrades well to newer operating systems in my experience, whereas someone like HP do. Wouldn't go near Dell as their support is dreadful. Tosh if you can't afford an HP
  • Options
    Have just replaced vista with Windows 7 on a desktop and it's no end of an improvement. If you use MS Office, Office 2007 is brilliant too, once you get used to it.

Bought a compaq CQ60 about a year ago, no problems at all, everything has always worked first time, and it has a good 15.6" screen. Less than £400 in JL with 2 year guarantee. Newer versions are improved over mine.

Not sure how robust though, and battery life is limited to about 2hours 30 unless you double up. Not that light either. Actually, it's obviously not what you want, why am I wasting your time?
  • Options
    Stick with Dell for me, if you've got the extra cash spare, Sony is the top dog but Dell's are solid, nearly as good and a great deal better value for money.

HP was my first laptop, didn't last 3 years before it gave in to overheating and a complete harddrive failure.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]HP was my first laptop, didn't last 3 years before it gave in to overheating and a complete harddrive failure.

this has happened to my hp .is it worth trying to get it mended or just a complete waste of time?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts so far.

I've had no problems with the current Dell - a trusty old workhorse - but it is getting slow now, probably a bit Christian Dailly.

I love the look of the Sonys, but perhaps there's somehting a bit Pardew flash about them...

And the HPs sound a bit fiery like Nicky Bailey...

Any further input welcome.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Get a Macbook. ;-)
  • Options
    I've always gone for Dell, never had any problems with them. You can also upgrade each component when ordering, so for instance you can order a larger capacity battery, more memory, hard drive etc..

I do sometimes regret going for the shiny screen, looks good when its off but not great when using it - too many reflections!
  • Options
    I have a Sony too for 'emergencies'.
    It's not bad for a Windows computer and ok if you are determined to go down that route.

I'd really advise anyone to buy whatever Mac they can afford.
    Much better than anything Windows.
    The general rule is, if you fancy seeing what Apple were doing 4 years ago, buy a Windows computer today!
    The compatability issues between Windows and Mac have mostly been ironed out now and you end up with a better, faster, altogether more groovy machine with a zero chance of a virus.

A no brainer if you are prepared to pay a bit extra.
  • Options
    I've had the same Dell laptop for over 5 years now. I really like it but i would advise people to get breakdown cover with it. I paid a couple of hundred for something like 4 years cover but it's been well worth it as everything has arrived next day and they've dealt with one of my kids pouring a drink over it and another one dropping it which lead to a new case and a few other bits being replaced. In fairness this laptop is a bit like Triggers broom in Only Fools and Horses, in that it's the same laptop but all new parts!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts so far.

I've had no problems with the current Dell - a trusty old workhorse - but it is getting slow now, probably a bit Christian Dailly.

I love the look of the Sonys, but perhaps there's somehting a bit Pardew flash about them...

A clean rebuild of Windows 7 and upgrade the memory if possible (depending on just how old it is) and you might find it works much better. Barring that a wipe and rebuild of XP.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts so far.

A Toshiba is reliable like Jose Semedo...
  • Options
    I have just purchased an Acer Aspire Timeline 15.6in with 4 gig of ram.

Acer Timeline series

It claims 8-9 hours battery life. I am not sure about that yet but you certainly get at least 4 to 5 hours on a full charge. Unlike an Apple you can buy a spare battery so have at least 8 to 10 hours life without the need to recharge. The other really nice thing about this machine is how quiet it is and the fact it keeps very cool even after using for 4 hours non stop.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IdleHans[/cite]Actually, it's obviously not what you want, why am I wasting your time?

lolololol
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've got a No-impact Lloydsam number 11 model ........ got a good touch, gives generally good service but takes ages to get fired up.

Edit: Needs re-booting in black
  • Options
    I do tend to think a lot of electronics are "luck of the draw".
    My Sony Vaio had motherboard death after a couple of years and it wasnt used that much. I then cobled together one from the broken remains of three others and that has worked fine for a couple of years.

Off topic a little, I took an Apple Ipod apart last night to change the battery. The hard drive is Toshiba , the board and other components are non branded from from China.
    I've came to the conclusion their all cheap as chips to make and most will last the course as modern electronics are very reliable. (apart from my original Sony Vaio)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just treated myself to an ACER Travemate 7530G...

Pretty good machine, very fast...

It's got a finger scanner security thingy on it...

Long as I don't lose my middle finger on the right hand I'll be all right...
  • Options
    Any other recommendations?

I'm running a HP Compaq nc6120, which has been upgraded a few times now, but despite being well into its 5th year keeps going without any trouble.

It's now got to the stage where even I can think quicker than my computer, so I'll quite likely replace it within 12 months.
    But it keeps going, no probs.
  • Options
    Threadkiller whatever you do don't take it to pc world. they will fob you off with some bs and give it the 'you can pay us to take it in but we can't promise anything' jackanory. i've just looked up a decent sounding local technician through the phonebook and he's charged a ton for a complete overhaul. it's not anywhere near a new model standard but it's patched up and doing fine for my mum as a standby to the desktop (At the time i was living abroad and had to buy a new machine asap). unfortunately getting the data off the drive is pretty unlikely, i had to settle for a fresh start.
  • Options
    Just one bit of general advice. Make sure it really is a laptop you need. It's easy to think like this: "I need a PC at home/work. I need to do work from somewhere else too. I had better get a PC I can pick up and move". But for some people, it's better to think like this: "I need a PC at home/work. And I need to store the data on it so I can manipulate it somewhere else. So I should get a powerful PC at home/work and have a means of taking the data with me (storage device; web storage)". That type of solution often means you don't risk having a laptop nicked; you can afford even more power; data becomes more secure; and you can work on data from anywhere, not just where there's a suitable socket, etc for your laptop. In other words, you're moving data, not processing power.

Having said that, I have just got a Sony Vaio laptop and I'm very, very pleased with it!
  • Options
    I'd recommend Toshiba. Had a couple of those - no problems.
    I'd never have Dell again after having problems with a burned out motherboard. More galling than the initial problem was that they only have a six month guarantee and they refuse to deal with 3rd parties over spares. So if you get a hitch after 6 months you have to pay through the nose.
  • Options
    cheers islw,i definitely won't be going to pc world thanks
  • Options
    A bit sideways, I know ........ but wasn't Richard Murray very much involved in creating PC World?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]HP was my first laptop, didn't last 3 years before it gave in to overheating and a complete harddrive failure.

this has happened to my hp .is it worth trying to get it mended or just a complete waste of time?

And mine. Irreparable so far as I know. Smash it to pieces and get a Mac.
  • Options
    Make sure you get a dual processor atleast, 500gb hard drive the basics really.... ohhh and dont forget a fingerprint reader ;). Oh and the Toshiba satalite is a nice and realible i hear..
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Any late DELL with windows 7. We run 5 DELLS, 3 desktops, 2 laptops...no probs over last 5 years. We clean registry and defrag desktops every week.