Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Owen out for season and World Cup

Michael Owen has been ruled out for the rest of the season, ending any slender hopes he had of making England's World Cup squad.

The Manchester United striker suffered a hamstring injury during Sunday's Carling Cup final victory over Aston Villa.

Owen was surprisingly handed a starting role ahead of in-form Wayne Rooney at Wembley and vindicated Sir Alex Ferguson's decision by scoring a well-taken equaliser.

But the former Liverpool, Real Madrid and Newcastle forward pulled up during the first half on the heavy pitch and limped out of the action to be replaced by Rooney, with the substitute heading the winner in the second half.

Scans have now revealed that the hamstring problem sustained by the 30-year-old will keep him out of action for the remainder of the campaign and he will undergo an operation on Monday.

Comments

• Options
    Glad this has happened now and not after 30 minutes of his first World Cup game...

Must be one of the unluckiest players around...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Scans have now revealed that the hamstring problem sustained by the 30-year-old.....

He's never 30 years old ..... surely he's still only 18?

A bit like our great prospect. Kevin Lisbie.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Glad this has happened now and not after 30 minutes of his first World Cup game...

Must be one of the unluckiest players around...[/quote]

dont think he was gonna be getting anywhere near the world cup was he?
  • Options
    dont think he was gonna be getting anywhere near the world cup was he?
    Was only ever going to be an outside shot. I feel a bit sorry for him, I think the England team has developed around another playing strategy and he's kind of out grown his usefulness.
  • Options
    If he had put another season in at Newcastle, I may have had some sympathy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Glad this has happened now and not after 30 minutes of his first World Cup game...

Don't think so considering what he must have in his bank account for playing so little.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Glad this has happened now and not after 30 minutes of his first World Cup game...

Don't think so considering what he must have in his bank account for playing so little.

Not every player only cares for their bank balance, some will be seriosuly gutted at being injured and unable to play.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]

Not every player only cares for their bank balance, some will be seriosuly gutted at being injured and unable to play.

True not every player but Michael Owen is and always has been a grasping little git.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Glad this has happened now and not after 30 minutes of his first World Cup game...

Must be one of the unluckiest players around...[/quote]

Don't think so considering what he must have in his bank account for playing so little.[/quote]

Not every player only cares for their bank balance, some will be seriosuly gutted at being injured and unable to play.[/quote]

Cue cory gibbs ;-)
  • Options

True not every player but Michael Owen is and always has been a grasping little git.
    I bet he wouldn't shag your ex though...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]

I bet he wouldn't shag your ex though...

LOL. Clean living lad I'm sure. Gambling is Mikey's vice by all accounts.
  • Options
    He gambles large, very large. Mate in the industry handles his account. However, he can afford to.It's all relative.
    He LOVES horses and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets serious into the game very soon.
    He knows a few trainers well. He is not, unlike me, a Mug Puntter!
  • Options
    I thought he was starting to get a bit of confidence and would start getting a run at United, with Berbatov playing so poorly. Oh well, Crouch and Rooney it is for you then...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]He gambles large, very large. Mate in the industry handles his account. However, he can afford to.It's all relative.
    He LOVES horses and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets serious into the game very soon.

So I understand. Didn't he and an "associate" take Rooney for a mug a few years back and fleece him for a hefty wad? Prefers his colleagues money to their women perhaps?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]He gambles large, very large. Mate in the industry handles his account. However, he can afford to.It's all relative.
    Well if thats what you think, then you may be interested in Skybet's 25/1 that he becomes a trainer within the next 5 years?
  • Options
    Michael Owen in injury shock...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    gutted means england gonna have to put up with sub standard players like carlton cole unlucky michael
  • Options
    It says a lot about how far Owen has fallen when there has barely been a reaction to this news throughout the media. I would have taken him ahead of Defoe as I think he is more likely to take a half chance at international level and rescue a game for us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]It says a lot about how far Owen has fallen when there has barely been a reaction to this news throughout the media. I would have taken him ahead of Defoe as I think he is more likely to take a half chance at international level and rescue a game for us.

Can't agree. Much as I detest Defoe, Michael Owen was finished at the very top level just before/when he left Liverpool because of the ongoing hamstring/groin problems. He has never been fully fit since, as Newcastle in particular know to their financial cost, and has lived (extreme well) on his former reputation. Do you think Ferguson would have had Owen sitting on the bench all season if he had been up to the rigours of the PL?

PMSL laughing at all the Mancs thinking he was going to be the answer to Tevez leaving (20 goals a season easy etc etc). Wonder if Ferguson will keep him on next season?
  • Options
    Leon McKenzie is our Michael Owen.

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Leon McKenzie is our Michael Owen.

;o)

He wishes! Mikey gets paid far more for his sickbay visits and sub bench splinters :-)