Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Accepted low standards in entertainment

After watching Lady GA GA sing live on The Jonathon Ross programme I was less than impressed, the first song wasnt bad, but lots of flat noted in her upper range. The second song was a kind of VOGUE rip off, but full marks to her for not miming but she really isnt a dancer and was constantly out of time and out of breath. It just seems the norm now to accept out of tune or badly mimed performances, whereas in the sixties / seventies she would have been booed off the stage. Read later that tickets to her next shows have doubled in price! Is it any wonder that theres an increasing number of youngsters not only into retro stuff but are also seen in increasing numbers watching the old bands eg: saw the Zombies in Bristol, a third of the audience were teenagers. These are the lucky ones, but I'm afraid many are still getting sucked into this over arty mindset where the dancing, lightshow and teeshirt are deemed as important as the performance. In addition to these depressing stats, I've just read that JORDAN "the movie" is due out later this year. Of course people will go see it, they will be told to!!!

Comments

• Options
    I fear for the future MrW...
  • Options
    hands up if you thought this thread was in relation to the drivel that was served up yesterday
  • Options
    Concentrate MORT, its in the not sports related section. Now stand in the corner.
  • Options
    sorry mr w but that certainly wasn't sports related what i witnessed yesterday;-)
  • Options
    Thats cruel Mr mort...but painfully some truth lurks thereabouts.
  • Options
    You're just itching to say 'it wasn't as good in my day' aren't you MW. Go on, let it out :-)

To be honest, looking for musical quality by watching Lady Gaga on Jonathan Ross is never going to end well. By all means be scathing of Lady Gaga (I am!) but don't use her to package up all modern yoof and all modern music into a brainless light show.

There's been tons of shite pop in the last few decades, but they get forgotten because they were shite, and only the cream get remembered. Lady Gaga will be forgotten in 20 years, and future middle-aged me will moan how the noughties saw the likes of The Strokes, Arcade Fire and Radiohead and how everything in 2025 is so awful in comparison.
  • Options
    Ok, I'll bite...

I saw Gaga on Jonathan Ross & wasn't hugely impressed by the performance. On the flip side of that - I saw her at the o2 last Friday & it was a fantastic show. I don't think I've ever been to a "pop" concert before, but she definitely put on a great show & the production costs must've been pretty high.

Re. the tickets for the new shows being twice the price - this is reportedly down to it being a different promoter and trying to claw back some of the cash that was thrown away when she chucked-out the set from the US concerts and built a whole new one for the European leg at about 2 weeks notice...
  • Options
    BTW - it was a trip for the wife's birthday, rather than being my choice of gig!
    My choice come on Wednesday with the Stereophonics :o)
  • Options
    did you have a nice day?
  • Options
    I thought this was going to be about Ant and Dec's new show Saturday night, absolutely awful. Just a rehash of those awful 70's/80's game shows. Bad career move for those two me thinks!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    what sussex said.

Hope I die before I get old
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Plenty of crap around in the seventies also, difference was...we knew it was crap. Go check the size of Brittany Spears fan base...she's even given up miming! Cant remember watching someone writhing in a cage in the seventies and people saying what a great singer that was. I'm going to relax now and watch a video of Lemmings following Simon Cowell over a cliff (Oh if only)
  • Options
    Sussex is right. There has always been shyte music (which usually comprises most of the mainstream). It's just sometimes, it seems worse than it's ever been. If anything, next to the heyday of crappy reality TV karaoke stars, the popular music scene isn't quite as bad as it was a year or two back. There is always good new music about, it's just that finding it isn't always easy! (another reason why we need to keep 6 Music IMHO)

Not my cup of tea, but at least Ms Gaga is a creative artist who does it for herself, so fair play to her. Mind you, all the hype surrounding what is really a modestly talented artist is getting slightly annoying now.
  • Options
    she must be doing something right she is being talked about.
  • Options
    Despite my dislike for her music, Gaga isn't a bad singer at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laIr_d0hFB8&feature=related
  • Options
    I'm sure the Zombies were quite 'raw' back in the 60's and weren't as polished performers as they are today. They've been at it 40 odd years so would expect them to be quite good by now!

Lady Gagas more about image and the perfomance than the music and thats always been the main ingredient of pop
  • Options
    As I arrived at North Greenwich last Friday for the first leg of my journey to Southend, there were loads of kids hanging around before the GaGa show.
    What I noticed was they mostly looked 'dressed up'.
    In my day, (yup old fart), we knew that we were going to be diving around and getting covered in beer so wore old jeans and what are now known as band t shirts.
    No girl would have worn heels, she would have broken her ankle.
    Music today is more about the package and the posing I feel.
  • Options
    She is the meadia's latest 'must have'... must have her on the show, in the paper, in the news etc. What she wears seems to be more important than what she sings!.
    At least she sang live!..... 'Style' over content eh!.....

Too old to be commentating on 'pop stars' nowadays as I have a closed mind on these things. There was a lot of crap music in the 50/60/70s as well I know I had to listen to most of it!.
    Come to think of it had a closed mind in the 70s.........
  • Options
    Sussex has a point, however the demise of 6 music and the popularity of any Cowell shit-fest seems to show that things are getting worse. The internet has been a godsend for those looking for real music, but we have to face the fact that an increasing majority of the population are happy to lap up any old dross that is put in front of them because they are moronic sheep. As they produce offspring so the slide will continue.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Marco[/cite]As I arrived at North Greenwich last Friday for the first leg of my journey to Southend, there were loads of kids hanging around before the GaGa show.
    What I noticed was they mostly looked 'dressed up'.
    In my day, (yup old fart), we knew that we were going to be diving around and getting covered in beer so wore old jeans and what are now known as band t shirts.
    No girl would have worn heels, she would have broken her ankle.
    Music today is more about the package and the posing I feel.

I imagine you were going to a punk/rock concert rather than a silly pop band?

Go to watch any band even slightly heavy and there'll be ripped-jeans wearing teenagers throwing beer around. Moshing is alive and well my friend. Just not to 'Poker Face' by Lady Gaga.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mister Windscreen has suggested I've not been commercially succesful 'cos I don't wear a telephone on my head...He's quite busy at the moment restyling an old sixties megaphone!
  • Options
    I know Sussex.
    ex. Stiff Little Fingers on Friday night had a few young uns diving around.

We all have our age and a time when we feel comfortable going out.
    Once we realise that it's not our playground anymore it's human nature to try to pretend we had it better all those years ago.

There's some fantastic music around now but the difference is, I don't tend to see much of it anymore.
    I tend to see bands who are hardly in their first flush of youth, (like me)!
  • Options
    I went to see Mastodon the other night at the Roundhouse. Most of you won't even have heard of them, cos they're a metal band. I was stunned at the average age of the crowd - I'd put it at around 32-35. Usually at metal shows you get mainly teenagers, with a few old fucks like me thrown in for good measure. I think that even metal crowds now are getting older - I blame the idiot mentality of most people nowadays being content to sit through endless TV 'talent' shows (as much of an oxymoron as 'military intelligence')

Personally, I couldn't give a toss. The less kids there are at real band shows and at Lady Dogshit instead the better.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]hands up if you thought this thread was in relation to the drivel that was served up yesterday

....arm currently outstretched in the air !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]I went to see Mastodon the other night at the Roundhouse. Most of you won't even have heard of them, cos they're a metal band. I was stunned at the average age of the crowd - I'd put it at around 32-35. Usually at metal shows you get mainly teenagers, with a few old fucks like me thrown in for good measure. I think that even metal crowds now are getting older - I blame the idiot mentality of most people nowadays being content to sit through endless TV 'talent' shows (as much of an oxymoron as 'military intelligence')

Personally, I couldn't give a toss. The less kids there are at real band shows and at Lady Dogshit instead the better.

Not to be the touchy teen jumping to the defence of my generation at every opportunity, but seriously, not liking metal must equal loving Talent show pop?
    Metal isn't the embodiment of all good music, and its decline in popularity isn't because no one listens to good music anymore.

Personally I think metal is shite (all opinions innit), but it's not because I've been listening to Alexandra Burke instead.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I like listening to Lady GaGa, I've even got the album and a good lsiten it is too. However, I wouldn't go to a concert. On the other hand I wouldn't even listen to a Beatles album. It's all about what you like. One man's passion is another man's poison.

ps I too thought this was going to be a thread about the lack of entertainment on Saturday.