Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Interested in cycling at all?

All, I know we've had a few cycling threads on here before and apologies for the new one, but I wanted to let everyone who's ever enjoyed riding a bike know about a new holiday company that a good friend has started, offering cycling holidays in France...

I realise that it's a bit niche, but I can vouch for the sheer enjoyment of cycling through some of the best scenery going...

http://www.veloiste.cc/

I won't go on about bikes for a few more months now until I ask you for sponsorship for my Geneva - Avignon trip in June....more of which later :-)

Cheers all
CC

Comments

• Options
    Avignon is the nuts went there for the Ventoux TdF stage . . . . . great place for a break with the missus.

Am going over to Oudenaarde, Belgium for the Tour of Flanders with my eldest in April.
  • Options
    If your talking cycling in France.

Have a go at my anual injury fest

MEGAVALANCHE off the Glacier at Alpe d'huez down into the valley.

Did the climb whilst there last time, hard.

Ventoux is an ace climb to. Really weird when you get to the upper sections, like riding on the moon.

Riding in France is a totally different kettle of fish as you get a modicum of respect out there.

I'll take a look at the website.

Cheers
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Avignon is the nuts went there for the Ventoux TdF stage . . . . . great place for a break with the missus.

Am going over to Oudenaarde, Belgium for the Tour of Flanders with my eldest in April.

Just coming to the end of the book about Marco Pantani's life & death, a tragic waste of life mainly down to drug abuse.
  • Options
    GET OFF AND MILK IT
  • Options
    do they have a creche?
  • Options
    I heard a story about pantani that his resting heartbeat was so low (probably due to the mass of drugs making it thus) he had to get up in the middle of the night to get the heart pumping through pressups.

God help him if he'd been at the valley on saturday afternoon*, his heart would have stopped after 5 mins such was the boredom in the second half.

*I know hes dead.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Went on a 20 mile bike ride today and decided to incorporate Shooters Hill (both ways; I have cycled up going towards Welling a few times but never the other way). Cycling up from Welling was an absolute killer. I know there are cyclists on here who go on holidays just to spend a couple of weeks cycling up mountains and was wondering how Shooters Hill compares. Should I be able to cycle up Shooters Hill in either direction with ease before even considering going on one of these holidays? I was on a Bianchi road bike. It only has 2 rings at the front (53/39). To go on one of these mountain climbing cycling holidays is it an absolute requirement to have 3 rings on the front?
  • Options
    Yawn
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Yawn

Leave this thread alone fat boy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Yawn

Not enough oxygen in dem furred up arteries?

Red most people nowadays get a compact on their road bike in this country. In fact it seems to have been standard for the last few years. Compact is 34/50, and when you consider that a lot of Alpine climbs aren't on average more than 7-8% you should still be able to get up with a 39/53. Pyrenees and the Italian climbs are said to be a different matter. As for comparing climbs, the effort require for 50m is just so difficult to compare to that of one where it ramps up for anything between 500-1000+m. Get a compact and I'd say most fit people could manage the easier Alipne cols.
  • Options
    I cycled from Crawley to Brighton today on a £20 bike from Bid up TV - I know nothing about cycling, but I know I hurt!
  • Options
    Red, welcome to the joys of Shooters Hill. I've been doing SH about 10 times a week as part of my london commute and build it into my local loops too. When I first started taking it on, I always found the London side hardest to climb as traffic coming out of side roads can kill your momentum.

Now though, can literally fly up it both sides on my Rockhopper MTB and my Allez Elite compact roadie which I finally picked up last week.

Me and the lads went out on a monster off road route of 60 miles two weekends ago and we came across Charlton Charlie's favourite Westerham Hill. Now that bloody hurts. No wonder he used that for his training to get up the Alps.

I toyed with the idea of getting a triple for my roadie but am more than happy with my compact chain set. The guys at bike radar are absolutely convinced that theres more to go wrong with a triple as the front derallieur needs to do a lot more work..

Perhaps we need a very geeky Lifers cycle club or cycle tour?

Next thing for me I think is to join a cycle club. Love going out but its more fun doing it with others. My pals ride MTBs but I get more fun ramping the speed up on the tarmac ;-)
  • Options
    I cycle from New Eltham to the Valley and back for matches. Going up Charlton Lane is a killer as you can't get any momentum out of Harvey Gardens. Then the climb up Academy Road, followed by Westmount Road is a challenge (not as high as Shooters Hill) but knackering and soul-destroying if we've lost. On the other hand a win and a couple of beers makes it seem so easy.
  • Options
    Last month I did 140 miles road biking in two days on a mountain bike in the mountains, at altitude, with no training & the wrong side of 40! It was fun, I don't think there were any 7-8% grades, the worst was around 5% but that was a 5 mile incline - that hurt.