Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Pacific

Comments

• Options
    The British Armies that fought against the Japs were called "the forgotten army"
  • Options
    So good that even my war film hating girlfriend is hooked.
  • Options
    it is on sky from monday so i am going to wait

looks great i reckon the hd will do it real justice
  • Options
    oh so havent missed the start of it then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]oh so havent missed the start of it then?

nope 9pm easter monday
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Just heard them talking on the radio about this. It has cost $230 million to make the ten episodes and has the most realistic action scenes ever filmed (said a bloke who's seen the first two episodes).

You mean this isn't a reference to a 4-6-2 Pacific "West Country" class locomotive, designed by Mr Bullied and later rebuilt with Walschearts valve gear?

I thought you were a proper Anorak!!
    Surely as it's a Yankee series the reference should relate to the Union Pacific Railroad, the oldest and largest operating railroad in America...
  • Options
    Loved it. The night time fight scenes were immense.
  • Options
    very good enjoyed that last night
  • Options
    Very disappointed with the programme last night.
    It had too much jumping around, lots of unexplained things. At one point they talked about the US Navy being pushed out to sea and sunk, then several minutes later they are all being carried off the Island by a large fleet of ships!!
    Maybe Im just being too picky, but I just seem to really hate these "how we won the war" programmes that the Americans seem to think are true!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafckev[/cite]Very disappointed with the programme last night.
    It had too much jumping around, lots of unexplained things. At one point they talked about the US Navy being pushed out to sea and sunk, then several minutes later they are all being carried off the Island by a large fleet of ships!!
    Maybe Im just being too picky, but I just seem to really hate these "how we won the war" programmes that the Americans seem to think are true!

To be fair Kev, there are still 8 episodes left, so we dont know how it pans out (Flashbacks to explain events etc). Plus their fleet was sunk, but the marines held their position for a month or so until the army arrived, allowing them to get off the island.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafckev[/cite]Very disappointed with the programme last night.
    The Guadalcanal battle lasted six months, not several minutes...
  • Options
    Just loved a line by an officer talking to new NCO`s at the start telling them that the war against Hitler wasn`t their war until he (Hitler) couldn`t be "whipped" without them. Possibly has some truth but a totally unnecessary line imho. Big headed, thick, arrogant history rewriting nincompoops !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Just loved a line by an officer talking to new NCO`s at the start telling them that the war against Hitler wasn`t their war until he (Hitler) couldn`t be "whipped" without them. Possibly has some truth but a totally unnecessary line imho. Big headed, thick, arrogant history rewriting nincompoops !
    Yeah, but don't you just love 'em...?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Just loved a line by an officer talking to new NCO`s at the start telling them that the war against Hitler wasn`t their war until he (Hitler) couldn`t be "whipped" without them. Possibly has some truth but a totally unnecessary line imho. Big headed, thick, arrogant history rewriting nincompoops !

Got the impression that it was highlighting the morale type propaganda that US Marines liked to hear. Especially the newbies.
    I can understand why people dont like the 'America is the best' attitude that some film makers take on, but i like to think Spielberg and Hanks are better than that.
  • Options
    I cant wait until they find and crack the Enigma machine.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]I cant wait until they find and crack the Enigma machine.
    Didn't they do that in U571...?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]I cant wait until they find and crack the Enigma machine.[/quote]

Not widely known outside Hollywood but the enigma code was in fact cracked in the USA by a team of trained and USA naturalised chimpanzees who for propaganda and allied moral reasons were never given the credit. FACT
  • Options
    Thought it was ok, hope it improves. Doesn't touch Band of Brothers at the moment...
  • Options
    Next episode is not great IMO, no fighting at all. Just sh*gging.
  • Options
    CAFCKev
    Unfortunately the Yanks think they did win the war, or at the very least that without them we would not have won it. However many Historians will tell you that we would not have won the war without the Russians on the Eastern front. Read the Battle for Moscow for example, them Russkies were tough so and so's!!!

The USA had some of the bravest soldiers and best noncom officers, unfortunately they also had some terrible leaders, West Point officers were by and large clueless in modern warfare.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Soooooo The Pacific wasn't terrific?

P.s. Well said wibble.
  • Options

To be fair, we are guilty of that as well. When I was growing up, based on what I was taught at school and the war films I watched on the TV, I thought the Allies defeated Hitler. It was not until I started reading and researching the topic independently that I realised you could make the argument that it was the Soviet Union that really defeated Hitler.
  • Options
    In reality no one nation defeated Hitler, it was a team game...

If the Russians hadn't attacked from the East then the Allies couldn't have landed in the West and vice versa...

If the Yanks hadn't fought in the Pacific then India would have fallen to the Japs and if the Brits hadn't held on to India then the Yanks wouldn't have been so successful...

If the French hadn't given up so quickly then the Italians wouldn't have done so either...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    If the French hadn't given up so quickly then the Italians wouldn't have done so either...

LOL!
  • Options
    has anybody been watching this every week?

Over half way through. Very good battle scene's but i dont have the affection for the characters like i did in Band of Brothers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]has anybody been watching this every week?

Over half way through. Very good battle scene's but i dont have the affection for the characters like i did in Band of Brothers.

Spot on VG, its watchable but nowhere near as good as BOB and as you say I just cannot get a liking for the individuals as I did in BOB.

I don't think the Pacific boxed DVD set will be joining BOB on my shelf.
  • Options
    Agreed, have seen 1-4 and got 3-7 to watch. Not as good as BOB.

However i have enjoyed watching it.
  • Options
    I've enjoyed it, but it hasn't blown me away. I thought this weeks episode was a lot better than the previous two which were a tad average imo. Hopefully it really picks up now and finishes well.
  • Options
    Part VII there is a cracking scene that I really laughed at (although I probably shouldnt) - I'll let you guys see it and then you can comment.
  • Options
    I agree, and I've said this to my mates too, the characters just aren't good enough like BOB. The visuals are truly stunning though.