Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Copying DVDs For 5 Year Olds

edited March 2010 in Not Sports Related
I am a total technophobe but my daughter is in a situation whereby she needs to make a copy of a DVD of a creative performance she made which forms part of her Masters degree and thus needs to be submitted with her written dissertation.

I've tried to play the DVD on the computer but it will not work. However it can be played on my very basic archaic DVD player so we know that the DVD works.

Is there anybody out there who can tell me how and where we can get this DVD copied and how much it is likely to cost?

Alternatively is there any way to do it ourselves and if so can anybody supply a very simplistic idiots guide?

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2010
    I googled copy dvd and got this http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=5&oq=copy&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GFRD_en&q=copy+dvd there are a few links that may help.

I've got a feeling bigger Boots The chemist may also do it
  • Options
    Sounds stupid but is the DVD drive a DVD rewritable drive? I.e does it play Rewritable DVDs? Not many of the early, older DVD drives on computers do, so if you're using an old PC it may be that.

Otherwise, could be your software doesn't recognise it as a DVD, perhaps because it doesn't have the right driver. Try downloading VLC player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/), it pretty much plays any video. Once DVD is inserted, and VLC is installed, click File, Open Disc, and put DVD. Once you know your PC can play the DVD, try getting a decent DVD Rewriting software (provided you have a DVD rewriting drive), I personally use Nero, but there are loads out there. You can pick up Nero for about £40 from PC World (though it often comes bundled with PCs, so check it's not installed already), or there are numerous free programs online, just type "free dvd rewriting software" into google, and follow instructions of the programme.

Otherwise go to a Photographic shop, or your daughter must have some tech-savvy mates!

Hope that helps
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies chaps.

My computer is only a year and a half old and claims to have a DVD rewriter which is a bit like a cd drive. I can play DVDs on it just not this one.

It sounds like the photographic shop will be the next port of call!
  • Options
    You need to be careful with what recordable DVDs you use, they come as - or + and only certain DVDs work for certain drives. I know my Sony Vaio only likes + but my desktop can read both + and -.

One of the proper geeks will be able to tell you how to find out what one your drive needs.
  • Options
    Len, I've got an 8 disc DVD burner as we copy around 5,000 DVDs a year for PR and marketing purposes. Send me a whisper and I'll make you 5 copies if you like?
  • Options
    Only just caught up with JohnBoyUK and Supaclive's posts on this.

Thanks for the replies. She eventually found a place to do it so hopefully all will eventually be well!